PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow T1 to T3??

Hufty
17th Nov 2007, 11:59
There was a thread on here a while ago about T3 - T1. I am going to be transferring in the other direction soon (T1 domestic arrivals to T3 international departures).

I will only have hand luggage and will be on a standby. Is it going to be quicker for me to go through flight connections or exit landside and walk over? I think the tunnels will take me underground to T3 if memory serves me right....

PAXboy
17th Nov 2007, 12:12
As usual with LHR - you can never be sure. One day it works best with one route and then it doesn't.

As LHR is my local base, I tend not to have to use the connections and the one time that I did have to - I chose to go the 'manual' route. The manual route will take you down to the tunnels but they can be pretty fast, especially if you only have a hand case.

Basically, there is a hub that serves the tube station for 1-2-3 and each terminal has a tunnel leading to it. So the cross-over point at the entrance to the tube station can get busy but just follow the signs and the next tunnel will take you straight over to 3.

From emerging landside at T1, to entering the departures hall at T3, should take about 10/12 minutes but always time of day dependent.

spanishflea
17th Nov 2007, 12:52
Transferring between T1 Domestic and T3 means you DO NOT have to clear security in the Flight Connections Centre.

Therefore the airside route is significantly quicker and more straightforward than the landside route.

Hufty
17th Nov 2007, 14:25
Thanks - very helpful...

Here is another one for you....my plan is to arrive from a domestic flight in T1 and then take a BA international flight out of T1 (LAX). Say I am at the gate and I get bumped off - how easy would it be to get back from T1 international to T1 domestic arrivals and from there back through to T3 for the Virgin flight??

spanishflea
17th Nov 2007, 15:14
Here is another one for you....my plan is to arrive from a domestic flight in T1 and then take a BA international flight out of T1 (LAX). Say I am at the gate and I get bumped off - how easy would it be to get back from T1 international to T1 domestic arrivals and from there back through to T3 for the Virgin flight??

I don't understand, why would you want to go via T1 Domestic? T1 International to T3 goes through the FCC, but you would have to clear connections security.

Rainboe
17th Nov 2007, 15:34
You can walk quite easily with hand baggage between T3 and T1, either through the underground walkway, but if you know the airport, probably easier and a bit quicker to walk at ground level. you need to go past the bus station and old control tower, many roads to cross, but crossings all the way. Allow about 15 minutes.

Hufty
17th Nov 2007, 17:21
"I don't understand, why would you want to go via T1 Domestic? T1 International to T3 goes through the FCC, but you would have to clear connections security."

Well, I just thought I would have to go back on myself....is there a way to get back and forth between T1 international and T3 international without going landside? Reason is that if I get bumped off the VS flight I can go back to T1 international to get the next BA one....

PAXboy
17th Nov 2007, 18:08
I agree with Rainboe about the above ground route. I did not mention it because you have to have a fair idea of the layout before starting, otherwise you can get lost - as well as mown down by traffic! But I have done that route many times and it's fine, unless it's raining.

One last point, are these flights all before T5 opens??? Otherwise, all bets are off.

spanishflea
17th Nov 2007, 18:17
Well, I just thought I would have to go back on myself....is there a way to get back and forth between T1 international and T3 international without going landside? Reason is that if I get bumped off the VS flight I can go back to T1 international to get the next BA one....

No you wouldn't be able to go back on yourself. You would have to go through connections security if you wanted to go to T1 Domestic or T3 from T1 International.

T1I to T3 might be easier landside but you would have some difficulty getting landside from T1I departures. The easiest way through really would just be to follow FCC signs and clear security airside and take the connections route to T3.

Hufty
17th Nov 2007, 18:17
Hi, no it will be in December.

I do know the area around LHR a little - I can happily stroll between T1, T2, the Queens Building and the bus station etc. (I'm not LHR based but do nightstop there a few times a year). I think I know roughly where T3 is but I would probably go underground if I was going landside.

Thanks for all the advice - I hope to avoid any back and forth trips but it is nice to know what to expect!

VS-LHRCSA
18th Nov 2007, 01:28
If you're standby on BA to LAX, won't you will need to report to staff travel in the Queens Building? It would certainly be easier to run across to VS if you needed to.

Hufty
18th Nov 2007, 12:32
Hi - I don't think I need to go the the Queens Building - I don't work for BA and will already have a listing.

Does anybody know out of interest if there are any kiosks in T1 or T3 airside where I can list for a BA flight? I know there are some at the standby desk landside in T1.

spanishflea
18th Nov 2007, 13:46
I'm not staff so I'm far from certain, but you can probably do it in the Flight Connections Centre.

Also, to get access to the FCC you have to have some kind of confirmation that you are flying out that day or they won't let you through. Not sure if that affects you or not?

Hufty
18th Nov 2007, 14:04
Very good point - I didn't think about that. So I will need to get a boarding pass before going into the FCC I guess? That could be a hassle as I will have to get that at T3 check in - that means going landside to T3 check in and then back through security.

I am departing a UK regional airport that morning so I might be able to get the BA (well Servisair......steady) staff there to issue me with a boarding pass (sby) for a BA LHR-LAX flight and then use that to get through. Problem is though that the BA flights leave from T1 so I could get into T1 through the FCC but could I get over to T3 that way as I won't hold a boarding pass for a flight departing from T3 till I actually get there if you see what I mean!

Great tip though - that would have been a waste of time as I would have had to queue up for ages only to get sent back to check in!!

Thanks spanishflea

spanishflea
18th Nov 2007, 18:29
IF you can get a BP for LHR-LAX from BA then that gets you into the FCC with no hassle.

Once you are in the FCC you can walk down to T1/T2 or get a bus to T3 or T4 without being challenged. If you need to get back from T3 to T1I then you can do that again fine through the FCC.

You don't actualy need a BP to get into the FCC, just some form of confirmation that you are on a flight that day. So presumably a printout confirming you are listed for standby would work as well if you could get hold of one.

KiloMIke
19th Nov 2007, 22:58
You mentioned travelling on standby, are you staff? If so then you will have to go to BA staff check in which is located in the Queens Building. There is a walkway from T1 to T2 and is located on the left about halfway along.

You can list on the net, do a quick search on here and you can get find the web address. Alternatively your staff travel should be able to help. I dont have the address to hand otherwise I would post it!

Good luck

Rainboe
19th Nov 2007, 23:59
spanishflea- you are not staff! You don't know anything about Staff Travel. Please stop giving advice to staff! You have no idea of Staff Travel procedures or limitations. You are giving false leads!