PDA

View Full Version : Applying to become cabin crew

laurie
23rd Sep 2001, 11:09
I am thinking of working as cabin crew whilst building hours and gaining qualifications. Is this something that is frowned upon by the airlines - I only ask as I know other pilots who have done this.

Regards,
Laurie

Next Generation PSR
23rd Sep 2001, 12:09
Just a personal view here, I think it is a good insight into how cabin crew and pilots work as a team (or sometimes not depending on airline) also gaining knowledge about safety/operating procedures etc.

The chances are though that at interview stage/or on the job as cabin crew it is likely you may let slip your intentions and not get the cabin crew job anyway. Something to bear in mind especially as most airlines initially offer temporary contracts.

Also I know I prefer to work with dedicated cabin crew which are genuinely interested staying in the cabin. I have flown with "would be pilot" cabin crew in the past who have spent every available opportunity trying to serve the flight deck and waste time up there to the detriment of the customers - however this may change with the flight deck door now locked most of the flight. This is what can be frowned upon.
also you may be taking the position of someone who may genuinely want to fly as cabin crew.

Getting a job in Flight Operations, Ground Handling etc may provide you with an insight also.

May all sound a bit anti, but just being realistic - who knows you may enjoy working down the back, it can be far more fun on a whole I'm sure.

laurie
23rd Sep 2001, 12:23
Thank you, Next Gen.

latin sky
24th Sep 2001, 21:29
Laurie....working in the back will give you a "diferent" view of commercial aviation,use this the best as you can when you make it up-front.
Just work always as a true FA,and everybody will respect you...and not like one who looks down on FA's just because is a would be pilot :rolleyes:
I wish you all the best for your career ;)

Red Minx
25th Sep 2001, 03:16
You'll be lucky to get a CC job at the moment - and even luckier to get one as a pilot! Our company for one has just sent home ab initios who were a near the end of their training with only a "we may take you on again if the business improves".
The industry is suffering at the moment but good luck to you in your quest - just bear in mind with all the redundancies likely over the next few months, you'll be up against some good experienced people when you go to interviews so the competition will be even tougher than ever. Good practise for when you go for pilot interviews though - you'll more than likely be up against a few hundred experienced guys who have also lost their jobs!

Cee of Gee
27th Sep 2001, 13:28
Laurie
There is possibly another option.
Have you ever considered joining the freightdogs?
As a Loadie I have spent hours upon hours on the flightdeck. No worries about SLF. OK it's mainly nights, and there's a definate lack of the female species, but you get used to it!
Good job and excellent insight into the commercial op.

laurie
28th Sep 2001, 11:53
Yes Cee of Gee - Please do tell more - mail me off list if you want.

I would be really interested in finding out what companies to approach / whether I should come right out and state my long term intentions or keep mum about it!

Thanks.
Laurie.