PDA

View Full Version : 123-Reg Domain Hosting

BOAC
17th Nov 2007, 09:32
I and a few friends have domains here and it looks (hopefully) like they have had a DNS crash. What is more worrying, their support line is dead:eek:

Anyone have any info please?

AppleMacster
17th Nov 2007, 13:22
BOAC,

My wife's website has gone offline – it's hosted by one of 123 reg's companies. An email to the support line gets bounced back.

Weirdly, the email hosting appears to be OK if you connect to the server directly and not using your hostname. For example: yourserver.webfusion.co.uk *not* mail.yourdomain.com

The control panel for it at myserverworld.com works intermittently so it looks like some sort of DNS issue (we hope).

Applemacster

Update: I managed to get to a recorded message on the support line saying there is a problem with the name servers and they're working on it "as a matter of urgency".

BOAC
17th Nov 2007, 18:42
Thanks AM - I got the same message this afternoon. Still off the air. I suspect their idea of a 'matter of urgency' on a Saturday does not match ours:mad:. That is if they really DO have a 24/7 cover. I suspect a lot of people are going to move their domains. There are going to be a lot of commercial folk hurting right now.

BOAC
22nd Jan 2008, 11:00
I eventually moved one domain, but there is an email problem again for me. I would appreciate any recs for domain hosting with email and web forwarding - and a support service that answers in less than 20 hours.................

To my horror I have discovered that 123.reg is now part of the dreaded Pipex, and even worse, I now find that one of my web hostings (Supanames) is now part of ..........................................we are all doomed:{

tired-flyboy
22nd Jan 2008, 11:20
I recommend Siteground

link here (http://www.siteground.com/atrack.php?referrerid=46610').

I've had no problems, offer all sorts of packages, including email, databases, php, CMS, cgi, javascript etc

Support will reply in a couple of hours and if it is really urgent there is a members forum where many problems have already been solved.

take a look.

TFB :cool:

BOAC
22nd Jan 2008, 12:04
Ta T-F, but I had a fruitless chat online with sales there who only want my website hosting. I just want to point the domain name-servers to a host who will offer web and email redirection - and a support service.

BOAC
22nd Jan 2008, 17:37
Further to post #4, 123.reg now admits to a 'server problem' (at last) and Supanames have a 'server problem' too............................

Let this be a warning to all. Anyone know anything else Pipex have taken over so I can avoid it?

airborne_artist
22nd Jan 2008, 20:12
I have had excellent service from Dataflame - seems to be about £30.00 pa for what you need.

http://www.dataflame.co.uk/hostingmain.html

BOAC
22nd Jan 2008, 21:04
Thanks, a_a. Looks like I need to have web hosting with them as well which is not in the plan.

Supanames promised 'Server 15' would be back up 'within 24 hours' about 26 hours ago. I wonder if 123.reg use the same servers?

BOAC
22nd Jan 2008, 21:41
I've had enuf! I'm on the move and have found somewhere that I hope will do the biz. Watch this space. Support at 123 is abysmal - actually its not even that good..

BOAC
23rd Jan 2008, 22:32
Happily (for now!) settled with 'free parking' who offer a free Pop3 box with every hosted domain as well as the other bells and w's.

It turns out the other (Supanames) email problem was that they had changed the login detials but only posted the news on the account status page rather than email customers. I don't check that page very often........................