PDA

View Full Version : Mango plane forced to turn back

flyboy2
17th Nov 2007, 04:27
2007-11-16 20:10Johannesburg -
A Mango aircraft on its way to Johannesburg was forced to turn back to Durban International Airport on Friday due a "slight glitch", the airline said.
Spokesperson Hein Kaizer said there was a problem with the aircraft's satellite communication device at 12:55.

"It was sorted in less than two hours. The same aircraft proceeded to Joburg with 134 passengers and 6 crew members."

This a fourth aviation incident recently.

An aircraft engine fell off on take off from Cape Town International Airport on last week from Nationwide Flight CE723. The engine "separated from the wing" metres above the ground. The aircraft returned and landed and no injuries were reported.

Early this week, a Kulula.com flight en route to Cape Town from Johannesburg was forced to land with only one engine less than halfway into the flight after experiencing technical problems.

The captain of flight MN103 had to turn off one of the engines after his instruments indicated low oil pressure. There were no injuries.
Source:http://www.24.com/news/?p=tsa&i=755406

grgplanes
17th Nov 2007, 06:52
This a fourth aviation incident recently

Does this really fall in the same league of incidents like the other 3? I don't think so, it seems pretty normal and precautionary!

Goldfish Jack
17th Nov 2007, 07:19
With the level and utter lack of knowledge of our press icw any incident, it is going to make the news.

If one thinks how many a/c actually return in a month all over the country, or have rejected take-offs or go-arounds, the press would not have enough paper to print all the expert opinions they have.

It has never ceased to amaze me at the utter lack of knowledge the press has about aviation and some of the nonsense they print. If they print this amount of rubbish icw aviation, how much of the other stuff the print is also rubbish? About 80% I would imagine - wonder what Springbok 702 has to say?

One must also realise that papers make money on mass-hysteria headlines not on the truth. HOw many times have you seen them get it wrong and then never publish the truth or, if they do, it is is small print on about page 8 at the bottom?

And their use of the English language as well........ shows the standard of education in this country. Read that last sentence about the Kulula flight. There were no injuries after the captain had to turn off the engine...blah blah blah.. At least the Captain did not injure the co-pilot!

missingblade
17th Nov 2007, 07:49
Not even the Discovery channel get it right all the time - I often hear complete rubbish coming out of the narrator on Discovery Aviation programs. They also exaggerate all the time in order to make it more exciting. Now if those pro's can't get it right how will the clown at the local rag who covers all news , not just aviation , get it right - or even in perspective??
And as has been said above - how much other news do they misreport......?

Rotates Lowly
17th Nov 2007, 08:05
In the same report about the Mango RTB, Afrikaans newspaper Beeld made sure to recap on all the incidents over the past week, and added a footnote on the 174 accidents for 2006-7 in which 50 people have been killed in South Africa. Come on!

What message does this convey to the flying public? What they fail to mention is how many people have been killed in the category that affects airline passengers. To my knowledge: ZERO.

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Nov 2007, 19:08
http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/square-med-rope.gif