PDA

View Full Version : Nausea during instrument flying

mithuldas
16th Nov 2007, 23:34
Today my instructor was going through some unusual attitudes regognition practice today while I was under the hood. He would get me to recognize spirals/stall and whatnot and recover quickly. After a few of these I started to feel really dizzy. I told him after the flight to which he replied that some people have had to say bye bye to flying because they never get used to the nausea.

I am feeling pretty down about this right now. This is the first time that I have felt nauseous during training, and I'm fine with pulling Gs, -Gs etc, even normal instrument flying.

So my question is, will I adapt with experience? Is this normal? Should I continue with my training? I have around 50 hours at this point in time.

Bullethead
16th Nov 2007, 23:59
"Today my instructor was going through some unusual attitudes regognition practice today while I was under the hood."

Geez doing that I'd be surprised you didn't throw up all over the place. That's got to be about the most disorienting thing you can do in an aeroplane.

If you only felt dizzy you'll be fine, especially if you can handle the high 'g' stuff, and you do get used to the sensations. I wouldn't be concerned. You don't do UA recovery practice very often anyway.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

Regards,
BH.

fernytickles
17th Nov 2007, 15:07
I second Bullethead's post. You'll be fine. I managed to make myself queezy the other day when flying in extremely rough air. I get queezy doing too many aerobatics (2 loops and I'm done). I get queezy in the simulator, occasionally. The rest of the time, I'm fine. Don't let a little dizziness put you off.

And perhaps you should tell your instructor sooner if it happens again, get on the ground, or just fly straight and level for a few minutes until you feel better, then work on something else.

27mm
19th Nov 2007, 06:26
Hi Mithuldas, it's quite common and normal to feel a little queasy during simulated IF conditions, so don't worry about it. I'd be more worried over your instructor's unprofessional remark......

ibelieveicanfly
1st Dec 2007, 20:37
just pass the step and you will be used to.
I had it a bit when i started flying some 13 years ago and now I do spirals for my students and also fly sometimes in turbulent clear air turbulence at FL330 and never get sick.
good luck

ibelieveicanfly
1st Dec 2007, 20:39
just pass the step and you will be used to.
I had it a bit when i started flying some 13 years ago and now I do spirals for my students and also fly sometimes in turbulent clear air turbulence at FL330 and never get sick.also in the sim
good luck:ok:

woofwoof
10th Dec 2007, 14:44
its just a case of grinning and bearing it and trying to keep your last meal in the same location it started the flight

Superpilot
11th Dec 2007, 15:31
Hey, I had the exact same situation as you. Don't fret, it's just a phase and even if you don't get over it properly you won't ever have to do it again after CPL training (unless you want to become an FI). I know the feeling when it happens, you think your world is about to cave in and you've lost your chance to become a Professional Pilot. My advice to you is rubbish that thought straight away!

The key is to keep current with your CPL training. Don’t leave large gaps and don’t do too many manoeuvres in one flight. Limit it to 1 or 2. These can be combined with your NAV exercises (on the return leg for example).

Your instructor shouldn’t be scaring you with comments like "you may have to say bye bye to flying if you don't adjust!". He obviously doesn’t appreciate what it means to be a pilot susceptible to nausea. Increased sensitivety to angular acceleration (which is what induces nausea) hones good and precise flying skills - just ask any seasoned acrobatic pilot. I suffered quite badly during the first 2/3 lessons doing spiral dives both under the hood and VFR. I'm convinced my instructor's attitude helped me out. He helped me because he’d seen it a hundred times before and knew that it was a perfectly recoverable situation for 99% of people (he’s words)

gingernut
11th Dec 2007, 15:51
There was an article in The Times (UK) this week, stating that 90% of commercial pilots suffer spatial disorientation at some stage in their career.

Simillar posts in the past suggest pilots do eventually become aclimatised to this common symptom:)