PDA

View Full Version : Married with Bin Lid - What will the airlines think?

Spunky Monkey
16th Nov 2007, 20:17
Looking at recent posts on this hallowed website there are several people who have said that airlines would not be comfortable with a new FO with a pregnant wife.

To me this says this is a pilot who has a family to support and must stay with the company and will work hard to climb the ladder.

Others have stated it means pilot who wants paternity leave.

RYR seams to be the one most mention.

I would be grateful for your thoughts. Not sure if this would be better on the Terms block, due to age etc. Thoughts gratefully welcomed.

Adios
16th Nov 2007, 20:41
They won't know unless you volunteer the information. I know that doesn't answer your question, but the fact you get an interview means you're in the running and they are then looking for a reason to eliminate you. Don't give them easy reasons like this one.

K.Whyjelly
16th Nov 2007, 21:22
Paternity Leave??

If you're anything like me you'll relish the chance to get away on a night stop in order to have a rest and a bit of peace and quiet :}

no sponsor
17th Nov 2007, 11:08
Total rubbish.

But, if you feel uncomfortable mentioning it, then don't.

Peelay
19th Nov 2007, 10:27
Is this your first child?
I am about to begin training and when my girlfriend and i found out she was pregnant i thought there was no point in me starting as the airlines would not touch me with a child at my age.
On my part it was a "pre birth" fear and as such has been alleviated since the birth of my daughter three months ago.
To me having a baby is/was a massive deal but to others its totally normal.
Good luck, hope it all goes well and enjoy. Its great :}

nomercy
20th Nov 2007, 13:57
One thing you do have to consider seriously is the prospect of moving. You have to be very lucky to be based near your existing home and obviously some airlines take this into consideration. My wife is not keen on moving but she said she would move if i got the opportunity of a good job with a good company but my lad is very happy and doing well at his current school and does not want to move and i fully understand where he is coming from.
If living out of a suitcase is not your thing (although this may be acceptable short term) then you need to have a good think about this subject!

Re-Heat
20th Nov 2007, 19:03
In the UK, you are not required to disclose personal information along those lines. If the interviewer raises such questions, and you answer, but subsequently you do not get the job, they open themselves to employment tribunal action.

Interviewed for my firm before - legal advice during interviewer training was to ensure appropriate limits of asking of a person's life were not reached.

The appropriate question is: are you prepared and able to relocate. If the answer is no, the job is not yours.

I understand however that you may not be eligible for paternity leave if you have not worked for the minimum time required by law - in Ryanair's case, judging by their contractual shenanigans, it might be later than you think that you qualify...(you are subject to UK law being hired or based here, whatever the contract...)