PDA

View Full Version : Heavy and Outsize (project) cargo Request for Information

Tragic Rug
16th Nov 2007, 08:12
To all the Freight Dogs,

I am currently a student working on my MSc in transport planning and management. At present I am planning to write my dissertation on the Heavy and outsize (project) cargo market. The only downside is that I need to get hold of some statistical data to work on and it is here that I am drawing a bit of a blank.

My search has thus far covered the internet (including Pprune), the journals and magazines and I have also contacted several individuals and companies. One of the problems I am coming up against is that obviously a lot of information on the Heavy cargo market is commercially sensitive.

I would really like to know what proportion of the cargo market is made up of heavy and outsize cargo and where is it coming from and going to etc. Just how busy are the aircraft in the market? It would also be useful to know how much a block hour of operation costs fro AN-124s and IL-76 etc.

The obvious market leaders are Volga Dnepr and Polet, both of whom seem to be doing quite well. I am also interested in the notion of the BC-17X possibly entering into the mix and what this might mean to the competitors.

If anyone can suggest a good source of information or data, then I would be very grateful if you could PM me the details.

There are a great deal of newspaper and journal articles on the Heavy and Outsize cargo market by Phil Hastings and Roger Turney. It would be great if someone could send me their contact details or e-mail addresses.

Regards,

Tragic Rug

VP8
19th Nov 2007, 23:18
I think you will find that Polet come 3rd behind Volga Dnepr then Antonov Airlines / Antonov Design Bureau in the market leadership stakes also Volga and Antonov Airlines are marketed by Ruslan International in a joint venture.

VEEPS

Tragic Rug
20th Nov 2007, 12:30
Thanks VP8. Any information gratefully received.

Regards,

Tragic Rug

RevMan2
24th Nov 2007, 11:30
Check your PMs

Tragic Rug
28th Nov 2007, 11:38
Thanks for the information RevMan2.

Regards,

Tragic Rug

classicpilot
28th Nov 2007, 11:52
Hello, I fly 747s for a cargo company. My email is [email protected]
Email there & we can talk

SkyKing46USA
30th Nov 2007, 01:47
I am new to this forum. I saw your entry re Heavy Freight Operations and may be able to help you as we are one of the top users of the Antonov-124 worldwide for heavy oversized cargo. We are also involved in the proposal for the BC-17 for civilian cargo use. We just completed an Antonov-124 flight last week and have 4 more scheduled in the next 30 days. Send me your email address and I will revert with info. thanks

Tragic Rug
3rd Dec 2007, 07:20
Skyking,

Thanks for the message. Please check your PMs for my e-mail address.

Regards,

Tragic Rug.

Tragic Rug
19th Dec 2007, 20:32
Sorry to bother you all again.

Does anyone out there have an opinion as to whether or not the Boeing BC-17X has a realistic chance of entering the Heavy and Outsize Market or the Short Austere Market?

Also, what is the consensus regarding the possibility of restarting the AN-124 production line?

Your thoughts and opinions will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Tragic Rug

CR2
19th Dec 2007, 21:08
We looked into the BC17 a few years ago. Too expensive. "Limited" payload (+- 80T).

I thought (stand to be corrected) that the -124 line had been restarted. Avionics upgrade (ie no longer 6 man cockpit), engines...

CargoOne
19th Dec 2007, 22:43
CR2
AN124 line is not restrated. There are only mods and upgrades of existing flying airframes going on. Not really a production.
Estimated costs of restrating 124 production line (actually building a new one from scratch) are so high that I very much doubt it would ever happen unless it would be a pure political decision. Russians are talking a lot about it, but in reality nothing has moved forward. Still there is a dozen or two very-low-time military AN124s which can be converted and upgraded to civilian AN124-100/120/150/whatever the call it now.
BC17 is way too expensive. There is a small niche probably for 5 to 10 BC17X aircraft (like Airbus Beluga etc) on this planet, but it not worth it.

CR2
20th Dec 2007, 03:20
Thanks C1.

Attended a Beluga briefing 5-ish years ago. How about $45000 (count the zero's)/blh acmi....

:rolleyes:

For some reason ( :} ) we weren't interested.