PDA

View Full Version : iPOD Question

Ejector
15th Nov 2007, 17:59
Hi,

I don’t know much about iPOD’s, but is there other generic brands out there or does iPOD have the market captured?

To put a audio CD on to a iPOD or similar, is it a easy task to convert it to a MP3 file then send it to a iPOD?

If so, roughly how much space would a audio CD take up in MP3 format?

Thanks

PingDit
15th Nov 2007, 18:43
If you buy an iPod, it comes with its own 'iTunes' software. This automatically converts any cd you want to add to your iPod collection into the correct format. I've got the 30gB version which holds around 7,500 to 10,000 numbers.

Hope this helps!

Ping

Saab Dastard
15th Nov 2007, 19:21
The non-Apple world calls them "mp3 players" - portable.

Try googling that.

SD

spannersatcx
15th Nov 2007, 19:39
Actually I think you will find the new ipod nano (quite possibly the others as well) don't actually come with any software these days. I think there is a statement on the box that says you need an internet connection to download itunes.
roughly how much space would a audio CD take up in MP3 format? This is a bit of a variable because it depends on the bitrate that was used when converting, on average you can say 1mb per minute, 4 min track 4mb.
To put a audio CD on to a iPOD or similar, is it a easy task to convert it to a MP3 file then send it to a iPOD? Yes it is fairly straightforward.

To add music from your own CDs, insert an audio CD into your computer and then drag the CD icon that appears in the Source list onto the Library icon to add the entire album, or select the CD icon in the Source list and then drag whatever songs you want from the right-side pane to the library.

Ejector
16th Nov 2007, 01:49
Thanks fro your help.

EJ

bnt
16th Nov 2007, 07:47
The 1MB per minute guideline is at the average-sounding data rate of 128 kbit/second. If (like me) you like your MP3s to sound better than that, you rip at a higher rate e.g. at 192kbit/second, it's about 1.5 MB disk space per minute.

These days, phones can also do the job of MP3 player: my portable player is my HTC S620 phone with a 2GB card and Bluetooth headphones. You might not need to buy a separate box.

Watch out for the kinds of cheaper imported players you find on eBay - some are genuinely awful. I bought one with buttons that barely worked, and a 2.5mm headphone socket, which can't take standard headphones (with a 3.5mm plug). :ugh:

HuntandFish
16th Nov 2007, 14:19
Ipod exellent sound standard earpieces poor .
Need third part s/w to handle DVDs