PDA

View Full Version : Sa Atc

ATCdriver
15th Nov 2007, 13:36
Hi all
I'm new on the air in SA and have already noticed some things which surprise and some which disturb me.
Surprised at the level of professionalism exercised by aircrew, (you guys seem to really enjoy your flying also) as well as by ATC colleagues. :D
This is also the only place I've worked where ATC's REALLY practice "safety 1st" - almost too safe at times in the sense that orderly and expeditious are almost forgotten..
Disturbed, however, at the level of "back-chat" received from aircrew. I have never in my career been questioned so much and in such an unfriendly tone of voice..
Looking forward to a long stay and to meeting some of you at the ATC Stamptisch end of the month down in CT.:}

Juliet Sierra Papa
15th Nov 2007, 19:06
I'm also new (few days now) to this website,not to the country, but let me be the first to welcome you onboard. Enjoy your job and this website.

JSP.:ok:

Dexterdawg
16th Nov 2007, 17:15
Pilots chatting to each other on the active frequencies is another thing that is unique to SA.
You obviously have NOT flown in the Middle East then...... :suspect:

Goldfish Jack
17th Nov 2007, 07:38
Welcome ATC driver

Rule no 1 in SA: Dont let the skygods tell u what to do - if you do you are asking for trouble.

Rule no 2: Dont answer them back - that just what they looking for. Remember they never invented flying - they just perfected it - so their old radio ad used to say!

The day of those old and bold sky-gods is fast coming to an end - I never forget the advise one of them gave me when I started out on radar: "Youngster you are new here - they are going to test you and if they get right, they will go at you everytime they hear you, so stand up to them and let them know you are in charge" :=

Those words were spoken to my by Gerrard Robberts - of whom I have the utmost respect and one of the most professional pilots I have ever worked with, that came from the skygods society. :ok: I Have never forgotten his words and what he taught me about ATC - never truer words spoken.

So you gotta stand up to them and let them know you are in charge, otherwise they just gonna keep running over you. JUst bite one of them good and hard and the word will soon get out :D .

They try and wind me up every now and then and you just ignore them - there are some outstandingly prefessional pilots out there (gosh what shocking english) and u gotta get those ones on your side and it makes the job all the easier. So much so that you can have some really humerous moments on the radio!

ATCdriver
18th Nov 2007, 13:34
THANKS ALL!!
As far as the chatter goes - must say - I don't really mind that - kind of enjoy it really - where I come from the voices on the other side are almost robotic. A little "personality" is always good.
Oh - and what does "Verwoedelikke Goede More" mean...?:confused:

radioexcel
18th Nov 2007, 19:23
It also means "Samoesa good morning":p ...directly translated...."a flippen good morning"..you can try it someday. ATC might just say the same back to you::O

At least one of those "utmost professional pilots" flying:ok::ok::D:D

By the way...lots of R/T chatter between local pilots in Abu Dhabi...been there a long time;)

RE