PDA

View Full Version : UK Thompson Fly B737 operating NZ services

Sqwark2000
15th Nov 2007, 04:37
Can anyone shed some light on what's happening with the Thompson Fly B737 that's operating Air NZ services at the moment?

It's still G- registered so wondering how that's working?

Skystar320
15th Nov 2007, 04:46
WET LEASE / ACMI Charter.....

Anyone see Air New Zealand's Advert today selling x 4 B744

belowMDA
15th Nov 2007, 07:41
Well it's actually a dry lease. Business as usual for all the crews except for a few minor differences.
It has been leased to cover aircraft in the shop and to help out until the two purchased aircraft show up sometime next year.

The ad in FI says they are available in 2012. Being replaced by the 773ER.

Sqwark2000
15th Nov 2007, 09:41
If it's a dry lease and it's still G- registered, does that mean some Air NZ crew are operating that aircraft on UK/JAR license's?

The crew I've heard on board sounded kiwi, but there is a very Irish sounding chap in the 737 fleet.

Cheers

S2K

Skystar320
15th Nov 2007, 11:46
Then it would be under the WET lease arrangment where they get the aircraft, insurance and pilots.

If it was DRY lease then they would have to revert it to the ZK prefix and everything would be done by Air New Zealand

Vola!

c100driver
15th Nov 2007, 19:15
The Aircraft is operated as a short term dry lease.

It remains on the UKCAA register.

Air NZ has a block approval from UKCAA for Air NZ pilots under 65 to operate the aircraft. The approval is only for New Zealand airspace on RPT operations.

UKCAA has authorised the NZ CAA to have oversight of the flight operation while the aircraft is operating on the Air NZ AOC.

Maintenance is big difference for operating the aircraft, and remains iaw UKCAA using the Air NZ JAA maint authority, and specifically licenced individual named engineers.

This is the same as when G-BASI, and G-BHWF both Britannia was leased in the 1980's

Lease and hire operations are always very complex and usually have many different clause for different specific operations. Trying to get 2 Aviation Authorites, two airlines, aircraft owners and insurance companies all lined up and in agreement, is a huge undertaking.

Skystar320
15th Nov 2007, 20:12
Errr its a wet lease....... Non Air New Zealand pilots

c100driver
15th Nov 2007, 23:09
No its a dry lease!!!!!!!

Air NZ pilots flying it!!!

Skystar320
15th Nov 2007, 23:37
I aint going to argue about this, though if you knew the operation and knew the rules and what the carrier does it would show you a WET lease agreement

Good - day!

27/09
17th Nov 2007, 06:54
Ok then Skystar,

Tell us where the crew are from that are flying it. The radio calls I heard the other day from said aircraft certainly had a Kiwi accent.

C100 seems to have the goss to me.

Split Flap
17th Nov 2007, 19:11
The crews are Air NZ. Ive flown it and and apparently i'm an Air NZ pilot, well thats what it says on my payslip anyway...
I always thought the difference between wet and dry lease was the fuel, in this case im pretty sure Air NZ is paying for the gas, so therefore it would make it a dry lease??

Don Mask
18th Nov 2007, 08:29
Hey Split, you read my mind about the dry/wet lease thing. You might know - I heard that the Irish sounding pilot is Iranian?

Skystar320
18th Nov 2007, 09:37
For those who dont know

Wet Lease: = Pilots / Aircraft / Insurance [airlines pay for fuel]
Dry Lease = Just the aircraft

Skystar320
18th Nov 2007, 09:42
Seems I do need to apologise seems I have my facts wrong and its indeed a Dry lease operation for the duration of the busy christmas period
not to try and get away but I was thinking of something else :ok::ok::ok:
Sorry :=:=:=

belowMDA
18th Nov 2007, 17:59
Jeez it took a bit of convincing though didn't it! :}

SIUYA
18th Nov 2007, 19:41
Skystart320..................

Dry lease - aircraft is leased without crew
Wet lease - aircraft is leased with crew
Damp lease - aircraft is leased with partial crew.

However, it goes a little beyond that. The big problem with leases is the transfer of functions and duties from the State of Registry to the State of the Operator. The principal concern is that the State of Registry may lose cintrol over its safety compliance obligations, particularly relating to maintenance, and therefore be unable to exercise its functions and duties properly. This is covered under ICAO Circular 295-LE/2, which concerns Article 83 bis. New Zealand and the UK are both States which are parties to Article 83 bis.

The FCL issue relating to dry leases is easily overcome. All it requires is for the State of Registry (UK) to validate the flight crew licences of each (New Zealand) flight crew member who is to operate the aircraft.