PDA

View Full Version : Another RAF guy

Glawster
14th Nov 2007, 20:09
RAF Flight Ops Manager with 20 years experience, soon to leave. Jeppesen Basic JetPlanner, Advanced Jetplanner and Database, OpsControl and SITA trained. Worked as a Flight Dispatcher in Kabul, Qualified ATS Met Observer. Familiar with Aircraft Brokering as well. Ex Area Radar assistant as well to boot!!. Currently studying Airline Ops and Dispatch through distance learning with AVTECH. Looking for any ops job in the south/SW of UK.

Any pointers/tips/hints??

philm938
19th Nov 2007, 07:57
congrats on leaving mate! it can't come too quickly for me!

check your PM's, I have a question about AVTECH!

thanks, Phil

lordsummerisle
21st Nov 2007, 16:17
Was in the mob for 9 years, been out civvie for 10 now(how the time flys by!)

Got a job in ops with a cargo airline, good hard work, and totally different to anything in the RAF really, though had as first posting Brize ops so closest to a civilian type of working there.

Soon moved onto commercial, then commercial manager, and eventually left to form my own company, chances for progression far easier in civilian life than military, and far more based on ability than how many people have the "points".

Should be able to find a job in operations many places, often not the best paid at first but rewards are there to be earned, just don't give it the old " I was a whatever rank in the RAF, we did it differently in Kabul etc" They, rightly, won't care and will bear no relevance to what you will be doing now.

Good luck, and hope you find something

Glawster
23rd Nov 2007, 10:03
Lordsummerisle, we may well know each other.

lordsummerisle
23rd Nov 2007, 10:12
Quite possibly, very small world, though not been the RAF 5 a sides at Shawbury for about 7 years, must try next year!

Did Brize, Wilders, Gutersloh, Scampton then finished at Lyneham

May know me as cookie!

Glawster
23rd Nov 2007, 15:40
Hello mate - lived a few doors down from you in the block at Brize.......