PDA

View Full Version : Over 800TT

CPAM00
14th Nov 2007, 20:04
I have roundabout 800TT. I have multi time too. I have applied to airlines and corporate jets in UK and all around the globe (Africa, Asia, Europe, Australiasia). No joy. I have applied to some air taxi and air charter but this also has no open doors. (I will be sending to all soon, although fear that I won't hear anything.) I was going to start a Flight Instructor course but then was told it was not really in my best interest as I already have the hours. I am at a loss I have tried for almost 2 years now to get a job. I almost feel like throwing in the towel but then think about the hard slog I did to get to this point. I just need to be given that 1 chance. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do, or perhaps someone can give me a chance. I know this is a very long shot to ask help on a site like this but felt it was worth a go.

6000PIC
14th Nov 2007, 21:01
If you want it bad enough , you`ll get there. If not , it`ll be just another "could have been ... " Enjoy the ride , forget about the destination , just get on the ladder now before the music stops. Best of luck.

Edinburgh
15th Nov 2007, 07:41
I feel your frustration. The industry is not easy to figure out.

Have you tried AirBaltic? I know they are and will be looking for Fokker 50 F/O's within the next few months.
You do not need typerating for this position, you will be bonded for 3 years.

You can find information about AirBaltic on their website and on PPJN.

Keep up your spirit.

Edinburgh.

Finals19
15th Nov 2007, 10:00
How much multi time and any actual commercial time?

It seems that the multi command / commercial time is the prime advantage. Vicious circle I know. If you could bag an FI job that would give you multi command time that would help.

dartagnan
15th Nov 2007, 20:18
I have seen 3-4 guys recently in same boat.
applied everywhere, sent CV, and still nothing.
you are not the only one!

portsharbourflyer
16th Nov 2007, 07:33
May I ask how you built up to 800 hours without instructing?
Was it aerial photography or some other aerial work, or just pleasure flying?
Although you do have sufficient hours it is still important to be currently flying and to be flying on a full time basis in a structured environment.
Do you have 40 hours of p1 multi IFR time? If not then this is all you would now need to meet the single pilot public transport requirements considering you already have 800 hours.

ratyrat
16th Nov 2007, 16:03
Lads!
the only way to find that first job is to network!

raty:E

CPAM00
20th Nov 2007, 21:20
For the few of you who have given some constructive answers. Thank you.

:)

mlee
20th Nov 2007, 21:40
May I ask how you built up to 800 hours without instructing?
Was it aerial photography or some other aerial work, or just pleasure flying? :confused:

redsnail
20th Nov 2007, 22:29
If you're after a job in Africa or Australiasia then the only thing to do is to go there. With your hours, you don't really "light their fire" so to speak. However, if you're a "good bloke" and can be bothered to pitch up and show your face then a door may be opened.

I am surprised the airlines in the UK and Europe haven't had a look at you.

I gather you have completed the 14 JAR exams and IR?

Netjets Europe will take on people with ~750 hours for their Be1900.

CPAM00
20th Nov 2007, 22:46
Really? I looked at NETJETS but their website says a minimum of 1500TT. WOuld you suggest I still fill out their application form? I was advised if I don't have 1500TT there is no point in applying..

As for Australia.. I tried that already but a captain there told me I need an Ozzie licence and 1500TT of which 500 must be jet time. I keep hearing of people who have less hours than myself and walking into corporate jet companies and getting the job. This didn't work for me.

redsnail
20th Nov 2007, 23:12
The 1500 hours minimum is for the jet fleets. Netjets Europe accept less hours for the Beech 1900.

With Australia and NZ you'll need the licence and the right of abode/work/visa. It's like any country, I needed to convert my Aus ATPL to a JAA one before I could get a job in the UK. Definitely don't need jet time in Oz now. There's a massive shortage there now for crew.

The airlines are "happy" to accept CVs etc but the smaller operators need to see your face. Time to target your employers and knock on doors.

It worked for me.

portsharbourflyer
21st Nov 2007, 10:16
Although I do hear rumours of a pilot shortage in Australia, I was generally lead to believe that flying in Australia and New Zealand was a closed door to "outsiders". Traditionally NZ and Australian pilots have had a far harder time finding employment in their own countries than British pilot has finding employment in Britain. It is more the case that there are several Australian/NZ pilots converting to JAA licences in order to find employment here. Aus and NZ were always the biggest pilot "exporter".

Mlee,

The reason I ask how the hours were built is because I have known some people buy a single seat VP1 or something similar which costs not alot to fly an hour and then build hundreds of hours just flying around the local area. This type of flying may build hours but due to its unstructured nature of the flying it isn't hours that are attractice to an employer. Conversely building up to 800 hours in the last year or two from full time instructing is going to get you noticed, having built up 800 hours from ten years of ppl flying isn't. It isn't just total time that matters, it is the nature of the hours flown, the frequency and currency.

Nichibei Aviation
23rd Nov 2007, 09:54
Try Brussels Airlines.

They recently hired a guy I know who only had 500TT and almost NIL experience on ME.
They have a huge shortage of pilots, to a point that they are wet-leasing aircraft.(And grounding their own aircraft)

Your TR (on Bae-146/ARJ) and line training will be paid for by B.air but the wages are not so high due to the high taxes on the incomes in Belgium. For this reason, many captains are leaving.

Future prospects look great, B.air is teaming-up with Jet Airways and opening a new hub in Kinshasa (through a subsidiary). They will also join an alliance soon.

They are often taking guys graduating Sabena Flight academy straight-away while these guys only have 235 hours TT...

(Have you tried the Ryanair cadets scheme?)

bobster1
23rd Nov 2007, 11:20
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=299419&highlight=irish&page=2

Ait taxi work:ok:

redsnail
23rd Nov 2007, 14:18
FP Ace, I was referring to the original poster's comment about getting no bites from Australiasia. He's European without right of abode (as far as I can tell) in Australia.

With respect to NJE, you need to be able to live and work in Europe. It's not a strange requirement, you just can't enter the countries we go to otherwise.

Australia "traditionally" was chockers with pilots. Not any more. However, unlike Britain/Europe, your first job is more likely to be on a C206 than a B737/ATR.