PDA

View Full Version : 'Fasten it or else...!'

timmcat
12th Nov 2001, 00:41
Priding myself as being a well behaved PAX, just how do you cope with an unruly SLF who just wont buckle up for approach. Heard one flight on my scanner in the hold for an hour once with just that problem..

sweety
12th Nov 2001, 16:20
I asked the lady who wouldn't do it:" Would you rather die if something goes wrong or fasten your seatbelt?" She looked at me scared.

It worked. :D

gadgetman
12th Nov 2001, 16:52
Pax who won't strap in? Bane of my life!
If they're just being obstinate, point out all the pax sitting in front of them, and that they will collide with all of them should the proverbial hit the fan. Say it loud enough for the pax in front to hear, and peer pressure alone will make them buckle up.
If they are sitting at a bulkhead, smack that with a fist, and ask them to imagine their head doing the same at 100kts.
If that doesn't work, you can always remind them that if a seatbelt isn't an appropriate restraint for them, we always have handcuffs which do a wonderful job instead.
(hardly ever used that one)

My friend who used to be a teacher treats the pax like little children in these cases, complete with references to temper tantrums, and keeping them behind after school/landing. Its hysterical to watch.

The most common is parents who don't want to strap in their children. ( :mad: :mad: :mad: ) but with a little emotional blackmail its easy enough.
"If you loved your child you'd want to keep them safe"

ONTPax
13th Nov 2001, 06:28
How much you wanna bet that these yo-yo's who don't want to buckle up are the same clowns that belly-ache when I recline my seat into their "zone of comfort"? I swear, the next time the person behind me snivvels about my reclining of the seat, I'm going to say, "Take it up with the design engineers at Boeing (or Airbus, Lockheed or Convair, as the case may be)!!" :mad: :rolleyes:

I'd rather
13th Nov 2001, 16:59
As a pax, the thought of the aircraft hitting an air pocket (or whatever it is - sorry for lack of technical knowledge) and me hitting the ceiling when the plane falls like a stone for 100ft, does it for me!

Ontpax - you may have a point about people complaining if you want to recline your seat a way into the flight, when people are settling down to relax/sleep. I trust you don't do it when the meal is being served?? Or the second you get on the plane? Because that is the sort of boorish, ignorant behaviour that (I bet) causes cabin crew at least as much hassle as morons who won't put their belts on...

sweety
13th Nov 2001, 18:44
How annoying that is: Pax complaining about somebody reclining the seat in front of him/her/it to Cabin Crew?? Unbelievable!

What would you do? :mad: :eek: :mad:

PAXboy
13th Nov 2001, 19:16
ONTpax: The next time the person behind you complains about space invasion, try saying, "Take it up with the airline's MD/ CEO/ Chairman/ President/ shareholders who demand a better revenue per passenger mile."

The airlines will sell you a 747-400 with only one seat, if that is what you will pay for!

flyblue
13th Nov 2001, 21:54
I usually systematically and discretely ask the pax with reclined seats during the service if they can put it upright the time of the meal. I try to do it before the pax behind complains , so that it doesn't become an argument between them. It is easy because you reach the reclined pax before the potential "complainant".
If it is outside meals, I try to explain that any pax is allowed to recline his/her seat; and if there are seats available I propose a change.
I think what is important to a pax is to see that there is an effort to find a solution to suit him/her, and try to avoid any issue between the pax.

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: flyblue ]

Xenia
14th Nov 2001, 04:18
Without any doubt we came out of the same school Flyblue!! ;)
Pax not fasting seatbelts??? well...It all will come with experience!! after sooo many years you will get that "dragon" look in your face...and you won't even need to ask anymore!!!! :p
Ahhh....do you remember NGP..."if look could kill"?? :D :D :D

ONTPax
14th Nov 2001, 06:51
Re passengers belly-aching over a seat that's reclined into their "zone of comfort" --

The incident that stands out in my memory was some red-eye flight where the guy behind me looked like a football linebacker (rugby player for our Brit friends). He started snivveling merely because I was using my seat in the manner in which it was designed. I told him I was reclining my seat because the bloke in front of me had reclined his. As we all know, when someone reclines a seat, it starts a chain reaction. This didn't seem to matter with him.

It was a long day and I was anticipating getting some sleep. I was determined to recline my seat and did so. I just didn't see the "crime" of it. Several times he punched the back of my seat to stress his point. Great. Just what I need. An altercation at 30,000 feet over a seat being reclined. I summoned the hostie and she opted to offer only limited assistance in moving either of us. She more or less told us we'd have to work it out among ourselves. So, I suggested to this moron that we swap seats, and, hopefully, the new passenger that would be seated behind me would be a little more tolerant of a reclined seat in his/her lap. He agreed and swap seats we did. He was now sitting in front of me. Wouldn't you know? After things settled down and I figured the worst was over, about five minutes later, he reclined his seat into my "zone of comfort." Apparently, he could dish it out, but not take it. I just said (to myself) "The hell with it." and dozed off into "irate passenger land."

:mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

BCC to "Xenia": How are things progressing on what we discussed by private email? Let me know!

:D :rolleyes: :p

[ 14 November 2001: Message edited by: ONTpax ]

biglouis
16th Nov 2001, 06:17
I was travelling with a disabled relative who was unable to get out and back because the seat in front was reclined. I myself being fairly generously built could get out only by doing contortions and pulling myself up on the back of his seat. When I politely asked this character to put his seat upright while disabled pax went to loo he did so but immediately reclined it again instead of waiting until she had returned. This meant he had to be disturbed again when she came back - many sighs. to pay him back I made a point of getting up several times and giving his seat quite a few "bangs" with my own knees. Hope he enjoyed the flight.

ohitsmonday
18th Nov 2001, 18:31
OK
I know were getting off the original topic, but -
I am well over 6' tall, on a charter flight the lack of legroom is crippling enough without the person in front reclining their seat (and I don't recline my seat either because I am aware of how uncomfortable the person behind me will be). The question is what should I do?
Please don't tell me to go every where on a scheduled flight, as finances do not permit such luxuries. :confused:

sweety
18th Nov 2001, 19:20
Hi, ohitsmonday!

With some airlines you could pay a little extra & get the seat with the legroom, near the emergency exits. You couldn't recline the seat on some of them, but you don't mind, Do you??? :D