PDA

View Full Version : anyone kno of ppl who have gone on from cabin crew to a pilot???

Foxtrot Bravo
6th Aug 2001, 02:51
It's just my dream is to become a pilot, am doing my ppl at the moment, nearly finished it. But would also love to have experience in the cabin crew role. I'm 19 in sept and I would like to kno if anyone has gone on from being a cc to a pilot?

Thanx

BTB
6th Aug 2001, 03:13
Loads have done it. A while as CC helps bring down the Flt Deck wall when you do make the change. I wish more had done it. I have worked behind the flt deck door, and now as a four striper, am grateful for the experience. Good luck, and give it a try!

ops_bored
6th Aug 2001, 03:15
there is a female captain on Air 2000 who used to be cabin crew here at MAN.

Sick Squid
6th Aug 2001, 03:49
Several have made the transition in my company... I flew with one recently who had gone from check-in to Cabin Crew to Flight Crew, and she was extremely good at the job, and a pleasure to fly with.

Good luck..... it really is worth the effort.

£6

QTSOA
6th Aug 2001, 05:31
Im in the same boat. Im 17, i've just passed my Commercial Pilots Licence Theory, and hopefully i'll have my full CPL (frozen as im not 18) in a few weeks. I have been applying to the airlines, (even though im too young) for FA, baggage handling, and Customer Service positions for 6 months, because I would just love to get into the industry. Ultimately I would like to be the one pressing all the flashy little buttons and pulling the levers at the pointy end... but after seeing my mum FA for a few years ages ago, its something id really like to do, even if she was only on the Shorts 360 and the dash 8... Is the minimum age 18 all over the world, or is it different... Ive heard some countries have a min of 25... is that true?

Manflex55
6th Aug 2001, 13:11
A very good way indeed to stay in the aviation industry whilst saving some money for your pilot's training. Worked fine for me as well : 6 years as contract cc & purser with about 10 different companies on almost every big airliner (from the 73 to the 74), last 2 years on the 73 with Virgin Express. Had enough money after that to start my training.

MF

MStockill
6th Aug 2001, 21:20
I have some neighbors whose son (in his late 30's now) started as a FA for Canadian, then moved up to Burser, then up through a couple of positions to when he was Director of West Coast Operations two years ago.
Just recently he has been made up to the board of Directors with Air Canada, after the take-over last year.
Just goes to show that the sky can be the limit in this business ;) .

TOPLOADER
7th Aug 2001, 03:03
My father was cabin crew with BA for 30+ years, my brother is also with BA, Both as Cabin Crew. When I qualified as a commercial pilot I could'nt find a job, so I too went off and had a year as cabin crew. Spent a year at Airtours. Was then luck enough to get a job flying ATR's. Now joined JMC. I still look back on the year as cabin crew with fond memories. Very glad and proud that I was cabin crew. I think that having done the job it has helped me in the 3 years ive been flying ATR's and the big shinny jets.

GlueBall
15th Aug 2001, 19:11
Yes, we had an ex flight attendant become an Flight Engineer and then Copilot. But she also had an eye-popper figure which undoubtedly had helped her speedy advancement. :p

Ivarong Headcount
15th Aug 2001, 22:30
:p to you too, mate.

Lord yes..know at least 5 triumphant creatures who have achieved this. Couldn't always stay with the same airline but didn't consider it a problem. From what I've seen, you'd learn loads about pax and also have the opportunity to pick "Nigel's" brains for both technical and employment titbits! Of all the pilots I have ever known .. a lot .. (stop now - don't even think that!) not one would refuse to cast their pearls of wisdom before you. And when you get into CC also talk to the vastly underrated Engineers..many a closet pilot in there, I can tell you!

Right then, Ivarong takes it that we shall see you soon, flinging those bickies hither and to whilst wielding a menacing pair of tongs and threatening persons unknown with hot towels. Goodo. :cool:

kfly
18th Aug 2001, 00:59
There is a female FO now working on Eurofleet for BA who used to be a longhaul cabin crew member.

She qualified last year,it was hard work, and cost her a lot of money but her determination to succeed won in the end.

Good luck to you. ;)

QNH1013
18th Aug 2001, 22:50
Have a friend who was an SIA steward and got accepted in their cadt pilot scheme. He did an OZ CPL but went through the whole course again with SIA. Also know a lovely girl who was a stewardess with bmi and who financed her own CAP 509 and then got in to bmi after. Starting off with the airline in cabin crew sure breaks barriers and also helps with connections plus they know who you are. That's just one of many ways to make your way to the flightdeck of course.