PDA

View Full Version : CX rostering and the GDO question?

MAX
14th Nov 2007, 05:28
Hi,

I wonder if some current CX guys can answer my question.

If as a new joiner whilst still undertaking initial type rating. Can the company, after roster publication, change a GDO to a day of briefings or sim??

Lets just say, no phone call, it just appears as a change on Crew direct.

Serious answers please and perhaps the reference in one of the vols. Im looking through vol.1 in search as you read.

If legal, is this just when under a conversion or also when on line?

I appreciate your thoughts.

MAX:cool:

Jose Jimenez
14th Nov 2007, 05:40
Unfortunately, Max, "legal" is not the issue. If the change would impact your required rest or days off or maximum flight time under the AFTLs, you are perfectly safe in refusing, politely, the new duty. However, if you are going to try to justify not accepting a change of a G day to a work day just because the rostering practices say it can't be done, you'll be jeopardizing your job. That's how it is at Cathay. You can show them something written in black and white, they'll call it gray and say, "So, what are you going to do, sue us?" Yep, that's how it is... Sorry.

Rice Pudding
14th Nov 2007, 06:17
Max,

Contractually they can only do this if you agree to the change. (ie. if you agree to work on your day off.) By acknowledging it in crew direct, you are deemed to have accepted the duty.

Best thing is do not acknowledge anything in crew direct that you are unsure about.....now you know why. They will often put through a change, just on the off change that you might inadvertantly acknowledge it. They will change flights to an earlier start time, change O days to a work pattern etc. You do not have to acknowledge any of these on a G day. (On an O day, you are not required to answer the phone either - but thay can notify you when you phone at the end of your last duty.)

Then they will back themselves up with a phone call. You don't have to take the call - after all it's your day off. So they will then leave you a message, something like: "Max, we have a change of duty for you. Please acknowledge as soon as possible!". They know that you are new, and sooner or later your curiosity will get the better of you, and you'll check crew direct. You may even think that you about to miss a legal duty, or that they can legally change it. This is what they rely on. Once you've checked then they've gotcha!

My advice is do not answer your phone on any day other than reserve, and only ever check crew direct if there are no new notifications. Then, even when they are leaving you multiple messages (and you're really really worried!!) once the duty has passed you will never hear another thing about it. If you do answer the phone, you can politely decline....but it's always harder to do in practice, and you can feel like you need to come up with an excuse. Been there.

Anyway, if you've already acknowledged then you'll have to work this one old chap.....but next time :)

MAX
14th Nov 2007, 06:29
Thanks for your replies,

Everything I read says the company may 'request' a change.

Crew direct doesnt give the opportunity to turn down a duty so thats a bit unfair. However... I now know to leave my computer OFF. :ok:

Next time Ill try my luck with a crew message. If its not a 'request' then Ill try 'jeopardizing' my job.

Thanks guys.

MAX:cool:

Buttie Box
14th Nov 2007, 06:31
Hi MAX

I back up 100% what they guys have said, with one exception. Going through training/conversion there were many roster changes, some to your advantage. If it meant the difference between somehow being non-compliant or cutting your 4-month stay away from home in the Biosphere, sorry, Headland Hotel by a week, for the sake of your sanity go for the latter. This business of getting one trip home if your course is more than 30 days should read once every 30 days. There's only so much Wan Chai you can take.

BB

Tseung Kwan O
14th Nov 2007, 10:54
Max,
They now know who you are!

Cider30
14th Nov 2007, 16:28
This business of getting one trip home if your course is more than 30 days should read once every 30 days.

Max,

Keep in mind that if you are on induction course, you are not entitled to a trip home after 30 days.

cider30

Mr. Bloggs
14th Nov 2007, 17:10
If you have a crew note in crew direct, how can you check what crew control have for you without acknowledging it, when they don’t leave a message?:hmm::rolleyes:

Think about it. Use all your resources and think out of the box.:bored:

Don’t post it here but think about it.:ok:

I am sure “The Management” can think of a way. Hope you don’t think it is sticking your head above the parapet, if so don’t complain.:{:{:{

Have you found a way?:ok::D

Low Grade Fr8 Plt
14th Nov 2007, 17:19
I have received e-tickets, sent to my groupwise, to PT. Long before being told of any official change by CC.