PDA

View Full Version : Interviews For Magazine Article/freight Dogs

mensvoguewriter
14th Nov 2007, 01:10
Hello...

I'm a writer for MEN'S VOGUE magazine---the national men's magazine published by Conde Nast publishers in New York--and am researching a feature story for the magazine about the world of the freight dog.

I would very much like to interview this forum's members and readers about their experiences as cargo pilots or impressions therein--pro, con and otherwise.

I'm want to capture as accurately as possible for the magazine's readership what flying cargo entails; it's a world the average person has little idea about but we're certain will find fascinating.

I've written about aviation, business, and popular culture for the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post and other national and international publications and am author of the bestselling book LAUREL CANYON: THE INSIDE STORY OF ROCK AND ROLL'S LEGENDARY NEIGHBORHOOD. I'm based in Southern California.

I look forward to hearing from you! My email: [email protected]

Thanks...

Michael Walker

CR2
14th Nov 2007, 01:43
Perhaps a misconception on my part.... WHY? Being pig-ignorant on such matters I would have thought that Vogue readers would be more interested in the latest men's lipstick :confused: And I'm not being facetious either.

mensvoguewriter
14th Nov 2007, 05:36
CR2--
An understandable misconception--but Men's Vogue is a journalistically solid magazine that covers all sorts of stuff having nothing to do with fashion--sports, politics, finance, music etc.
Hope to hear from you and your colleagues and thanks for posting...Michael

Earl
14th Nov 2007, 15:53
mensvougewriter,
If this was for the edition of the latest Harley magazine, HOG, American Iron etc,
or even Flight International, I think you may have some response.
Maybe even the latest fishing or hunting magazines.
Most here are fighting the long late night hours and most importantly just to get paid.
Something that I know that almost never happens in the USA.
But then again with the low salaries and taxes in the USA its better to work abroad.
But this magazine is not something that is read by any pilot that I know of.
Good luck with your article, but I think you picked the wrong group perhaps.
Maybe some Fed EX or DHL pilots could help you, but even then is questionable.

Best Angle
14th Nov 2007, 19:25
Perhaps it would be more fitting to interview our wives (or whats left of them). This job hammers your family lives by companies and evil management that don't want you to have a life. Weeks and weeks away from home working on the wrong side of the clock, your schedule in the hands of people who are just filling slots, extending your schedule whenever it is convienent for them and sending you to training on your days off. When you do get home, you are doing all sorts of company business (without pay); manual revisions, home tests, more security screening and fighting with payroll for the overtime that they screwed you out of from last month. Not to mention being treated like a terrorist at most airports and being stranded by crew scheduling in some far corner of the world when you are trying to get home. This is not what you think it is.

Baghdad Buzzard
17th Nov 2007, 04:56
Why not chat to the boys at DHL Bahrain? Check out thread "Rumours and News" re DHL Aircraft Under Attack. Sure you'll get some interesting/entertaining stories...

helicopterdude
2nd Aug 2008, 02:35
Didn't see it posted anywhere so here is the link to the freight dawg story.

Meet the renegade airmen who keep the global economy aloft: Black Book: mensvogue.com (http://www.mensvogue.com/business/blackbook/articles/2008/03/freight_dogs?currentPage=1)

olster
10th Aug 2008, 14:01
very good article

FougaMagister
11th Aug 2008, 08:33
I agree. Well researched and written. Proof that there are journalists who do serious research and don't go for the sensationalist, populist cr*p we get fed in the UK tabloids :yuk: . Also that today, the best articles are usually found in weekly/monthly magazines, not in the daily press.

Cheers :cool:

5711N0205W
11th Aug 2008, 18:50
Applause to Michael for a well written and obviously well researched article. :ok:

el #
11th Aug 2008, 23:47
Gotta love the guy that rebuffed author about freight dogs not reading Vogue magazine. Suggesting the DHL drivers (they must be a bit below in chast) was hilarious..
The idea an article about freight dogs meant to be read by others? Unthinkable!

ray cosmic
12th Aug 2008, 00:57
thanks for the link, helicopterdude.
thanks for the article, mensvoguewriter.
:ok:

alko1972
2nd May 2009, 17:26
The article is no longer available via the original link. Does anyone have a copy to post, or have any newer links that still work? Thanks.