PDA

View Full Version : Round the world - One World

Lawyerboy
7th Sep 2001, 19:55
Hello - I'm off on my travels again, this time around the world (and not a company jolly in sight ;) ). This might turn into a request for some fairly detailed information when I actually get hold of my itinerary, but for the moment can someone tell me what leg room/comfort is like (generally speaking and for us poor sods in Economy) long haul on the following airlines?

Qantas
BA
Iberia
Lan Chile.

A/c is a mixture of 747, A340, 733 and 738, but long haul I suspect is going to be restricted to the 747 and A340.

Going eastwards, LHR - Hong Kong - Sydney - Wellington - Aukland - Tahiti (Papeete) - Easter Island (refueling only) - Santiago - Madrid - LHR.

Ta muchly, all and any info much appreciated.

LB.

SLF@LBA
10th Sep 2001, 03:37
We've done r-t-w trips using QF/BA and also AR/IB a couple of times in economy and once in Business. In Y think that there was a bit more space on QF than BA (if you check QF and BA seat plans QF seem yo have less rows in Y) suggest getting the two abreast seats at the back of the cabin - a little more space around you. Routing back from Sao Paulo - Madrid a couple of years back the IB flight was operated by Spanair (I think) - pretty poor service.

Last year got a great deal in Business using BA/QF (just over double the economy fare) - enjoyed so much that we've booked again for April 2002. E mail me if you need details.

The Guvnor
10th Sep 2001, 18:06
Lawyerboy - I used to use BA and SQ out of South Africa, generally going as follows: CPT - LHR - ZRH - LHR - FRA - LHR- EDI - LHR - JFK - SIN - SUB - SIN - BKK - MRU - JNB - CPT.

The LHR-JFK sector is on Concorde; and all other sectors except the European ones are in First Class. That little lot costs US$5,000 which is an exceptional deal as far as I am concerned!

Out of interest, why are you flying eastbound? Constant jetlag will be the order of the day!!

Be advised that Lan Chile looks like it may well be on strike.

Lawyerboy
10th Sep 2001, 18:18
Thank you both.

SLF@LBA - Thanks for the email. In fact I was hoping I may be able to upgrade certain of the flights to business, but apparently because of the package I'm on (via Trailfinders, Global something-or-other) I can either upgrade all the flights, or none of them. Even were I to upgrade them all, I wouldn't be able to go, say, direct LHR-HK but I'd have to go via Frankfurt with a resulting 4 hour stopover. Other connections are equally as unfriendly. I'll take my chances with check-in, methinks... :D

Guv - were I to be able to afford Concorde I'd be on it tomorrow, but alas my wallet isn't as bulging as I'd like it to be, and more to the point Mrs Lawyerboy is joining me which doubles prices anyway. Eastbound, by the way, because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Actually, the original intention was for it to be a return trip to Sydney with a stop either way. Then a friend who lives in Wellington told us we couldn't possibly go all the way to Sydney without hopping over to see her. Then we thought, well, once you're in NZ it's not far to Tahiti, is it? And the rest, as they say, is history.

And then there's the fact that a 27,000 mile ticket with 6 stopovers is, in fact, cheaper than a return to Australia with 2. Bizarre, but true.

And yes, I'd heard about Lan Chile. I have my fingers crossed that differences can be ironed out by the time I get there... :rolleyes:

LB