PDA

View Full Version : Flying Boat reminder as requested

Slats One
13th Nov 2007, 20:21
The flying boat feature discussed here last month will be at 10 am for 30 minutes on BBC Radio 4's 'Excess Baggage' this coming Saturday (17th Nov).

It should be quite interesting...There is a listen again faclility on the radio 4 web site if you miss it.

Akubra
14th Nov 2007, 08:18
Good news that they are going to webcast it!
Gives people like myself, who have an interest and live just out of radio range a chance to listen in. :ok:

Seloco
19th Nov 2007, 15:08
Having listened to the programme on Saturday it seemed, on reflection, to have been rather dominated by discussion around the Foynes museum and the new Glasgow-Oban seaplane service - both aspects interesting in their own right, but it would have been good to have had some more on the empire routes. Mrs S senior was disappointed by not hearing more reminiscences such as her own on the joys of the early start from Poole (after an early morning call in the overnight hotel), the arrival in Egypt and Nile landing, and the long over-desert sectors across to India. Having not heard this series before, I was surprised to find it appeared to be essentially live, with contributors phoning in. I would imagine that this format rather limits the number of contributors that can be included.

Akubra
19th Nov 2007, 21:33
Who would think Irish coffee came from flying boats!
Very informative with allot of ground/water to cover in half hour of talk.

While I'm here, Ken Follett wrote a book called "Night over Water". Although fiction, it's a riveting tail of the last clipper service to cross the Atlantic.
http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliography/night_over_water.html

Thanks for the reminder again. :ok:

ICT_SLB
22nd Nov 2007, 03:33
Back in the late 70s I used to be a safety diver for the powerboat races organised by the Royal Motor Yacht Club (RMYC) at Sandbanks near Poole, Dorset. The main boat shed was a seaplane hanger during the war and the back wall was covered in various outlines of rigging fixtures & large spanners for Kingfishers & Sea Otters. If you haven't seen it, the book, "Wings over Dorset" (ISBN 0948699 10 8) has a history of the larger four-engined operations from Poole Harbour but nothing about the smaller planes.