PDA

View Full Version : Standard of Living in HK

cressidom
13th Nov 2007, 15:50
Good day all,

I'm seeking assistance from you folks on the current standard of living in HK. I've been told it's somewhat similar to Dubai..(expensive)..i might have a job offer (operations ) and would like to know how expesive has HK got lately..and what i think i should ask my future employers as for in terms & conditions.If anyone can assist on what the current ops folks get 'in a package' I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Cheers
Dom

hongkongfooey
16th Nov 2007, 22:20
Dom, cant really comment on HK V Dubai except to say general consensus is HK is better place to live from people who have done both.
The biggest negative about this place is the wonderful pollution our Northern neighbours send down to us, this is not likely to improve any time soon.
The main expense here is housing, you can get somewhere decent in Tung Chung ( next to airport ) for 12000HKD/mnth, the same thing in Disco Bay will cost double that, if you see the 2 places you will realise why.
Central, all I know is you get something pretty small around the 12-15K mark. " Decent " is 3 bed 2 bath 1200sq ft, small is 1 or 2 bed 600 sq ft.

I have found most other things, food shopping etc to be no worse if not better than home ( Oz ). Public transport is great so you can save a packet not owning a car. Telecommunication stuff is dirt cheap.
If you are smart (ie., stay away from certain parts of central ), you can eat out really cheap too.

Sorry no idea on what Ops staff get, I would have thought you would want around 8- 10K hsng allowance? Tax here is 16% so take that into acct.
Hk very safe for families, kids etc ( except air quality ), but many people I speak to are happy to trade the air quality for the safety, especially for their children.

Hope this helps

cressidom
16th Nov 2007, 23:54
hongkongfooey..what a super guy ! there used to be a cartoon..with your nick..that was ages ago,thanks much on the info.16% tax...hmm interesing to know that.Tung Chung is where I'm looking at.HKD12K sound pretty reasonable to what I've seen on offer.

Keep hearing about the pollution.But safe living 'overrides' that I guess.I've a rough guestimate on the ops pay. But I know now better on what to put down on paper.

Thanks again my hero.

Cheers
Dominic

hongkongfooey
17th Nov 2007, 00:09
No worries Dom.
If it helps, crap pay for a 737 FO is around 37K/month and good pay for a 320 FO 56K/month, just as a yardstick.
12K will get you a new(ish ) 3 bed 2 bath in TC with 1200' ( actually closer to 1000' actual ) living area.
Yep, the pollution sucks, but I guess you cant have everything :confused:
Have spoken to many expats who have lived here for 15-20 years and showing no ill effects, although they say the smog has deteriorated in the past 5 years,\. Of course, everyone will react differently.
Cheers

cressidom
19th Nov 2007, 01:11
hkfooey,

another question , for HKD12000 will that get me a non-furnish / part furnish / or furnish apt ?

Thanks much

Regards
Dom