PDA

View Full Version : "Coffee, Tea or a Karate Chop to the Neck?"

ONTPax
3rd Nov 2001, 00:09
Here's a couple of articles from the LA TIMES that may be of interest to PPRuNers. Will Black Belts be standard issue with the new uniforms? :confused:

The second column is a follow-up article about lousy airport security. :mad:
http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-000087082 nov02.column (http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-000087082nov02.column)

November 2, 2001

Steve Lopez:
Points West
Don't Mess With These Attendants

The kung fu master took a good look at his eager new students, all of them flight attendants, and made what seemed like a safe assessment.

"I don't think anyone here is 21. So I don't think we're going to be doing any flying jump kicks tonight."

True enough. No one's feet left the floor at the Gus Gates Kardio Kick Center in Westlake Village. But for nearly three hours one night this week, 13 women and one man tangled with a slew of would-be terrorists who came at them with knives and evil intentions. Lori Andrews, an American Airlines flight attendant for 17 years, knocked Gus Gates back on his heels with a good pop to his sternum, then strutted away with the look of a warrior.

"Next time I get on a plane, it's going to be a whole new ballgame," she said.

"I want a bigger guy to try it on," said Linda Schoenfeld, who has flown for American for 30 years.

She picked me.

I stand at least a foot taller than Schoenfeld, but before I could square myself in front of her, she charged in and shoved me back like a schoolyard bully.

"I've got a lot of anger," she explained while my lungs reinflated.

You might want to think twice about trying to score a second bag of peanuts once these kung fu flight attendants take to the air.

"People have been coming a little too close to me on the plane, and I'm ready. I'm tired of sitting at home and watching the news, feeling powerless. I told my daughter, 'I want you to know that whatever happens to me, I'm going to make you proud. I'm going to kick some [rear].' "

Jo Ann Mondrus, who flew from Los Angeles to Boston on Sept. 10 with the pilot who perished the next day when American Flight 11 crashed into the World Trade Center, has been on stress leave ever since.

Being away from a job she loves is eating at her, and so are stories from jittery colleagues who keep pots of boiling coffee handy to throw in the face of the next terrorist.

"The cops and the firefighters were all heroes, and now the mail carriers. That's fine, but we're on the front lines too," said Mondrus.

"I can't run. I'm stuck in a tube at 35,000 feet, and I need a tool that's going to allow me to stay calm and collected and not let anyone take my airplane down."

Mondrus saw an ad in the paper and called Gates, who told her to bring as many buddies as she wanted to an introductory class.

No one who showed up was naive enough to think a few quick lessons would give them the upper hand with younger, stronger attackers. And several said they were far more concerned about a bomb in the cargo hold than a hijacker in the cabin.

It's also fair to assume that if anyone stands up on a plane today and starts trouble, he'll be immediately rushed by passengers and beaten senseless.

But while Congress dickered over unforgivably half-hearted proposals on airport security, and while the airlines did next to nothing to protect either passengers or employees despite a huge cash bailout, Mondrus and her pals decided to act on their own to get whatever edge they could.

"I feel so sad that it's come to this, but I'm learning a few things that I think could help," said a Delta attendant named Sue, who has flown for 32 years.

Sue had just delivered a swift kick to the groin of an instructor, and she did it as if she meant business. Another attendant, after driving a foot into the same zone, quickly apologized.

Just like a flight attendant, Mondrus said. Drop someone to the floor, then apologize and ask, "Can I get you a drink?"

There were no jokes when Gus Gates brought out a rubber knife, grabbed the flight attendants from behind, and held the blade to their throats.

Gates had set up orange cones 17 inches apart to stand as aisle markers, and taught the attendants a move that, in theory, could put an attacker's nose to the carpet.

One after another, the flight attendants broke their attacker's grip, rocked them off balance and put them down.

"And don't forget that you can always drive someone's head into the armrest if you have to," Gates said.

I don't know how many of the attendants would be able to pull off any of these moves if the situation were real, but that made their determination all the more inspirational.

"I went through all the phases of recovery after Sept. 11," said Lori Andrews. "Shock, horror, grief, and now I'm just angry. There's no way I'm going to let it happen on my plane."

She and her colleagues gouged eyes, pulled hair and took pointers on how to break someone's jaw. Gone are the days when the job was about Cokes and peanuts.

"Granted, it could be four to six guys who come at you, but the thing is not to fear them," Mondrus told her buddies in a pep talk after class.

"I'm absolutely not going to let the bastards keep me from my job. . . . And I'll be damned if our fellow workers died in vain."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-000082663 oct17.column (http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-000082663oct17.column)

October 17, 2001

Steve Lopez:
Points West
Real Danger at Airport Lies Back With the Bags

"You wanna go get some water?" National Guardsman Manuel Garavito asked his buddy at Burbank Airport.

"Yeah," said Scot Hebbon, and the two of them strolled from Terminal B to Terminal A in green camouflage, toting M-16 rifles.

"I'd rather be in the Middle East than guarding the Burbank Airport," said Garavito, who supports a family of six and is on leave from a job that paid him twice what this one does. But a good soldier follows orders without question. Several other National Guard members were stationed beyond the metal detectors at Terminal A, fighting off boredom as best they could. One stood watch in front of the restroom, one chatted with a passenger, another talked to an airline employee.

If there has been a bigger misuse of manpower in recent history, it does not immediately come to mind.

Going to fetch water might rank as the day's big event for these unfortunate sentries, and the same goes for thousands of their brethren stationed at airports across the nation. So I think it's only fair to pose a question:

What in the world are they doing there?

Chances are you know the answer. They are there as sleight of hand, to make you feel like something significant has been done to ensure your safety.

They are there at taxpayer expense to pump money to airline companies that have doggedly refused to pay for legitimate security upgrades.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to me that since Sept. 11, the chief concern is the would-be hijacker who shoots his way through a terminal, crashes the metal detectors and commandeers a parked plane.

So here's an idea. If we're going to indefinitely deploy National Guard troops at airports, can we use them as something other than props?

They could patrol the perimeter of the airport and inspect service vehicles.

They could run metal detection wands over ground crews before they board planes.

They could examine baggage.

Gerald Kauvar, a Rand Corp. analyst and staff director five years ago for the White House Commission on Aviation Safety and Security, tells me that less than 5% of all checked baggage passes through bomb-detection scanners on domestic flights. There aren't enough scanners available, and those that do exist are used only sparingly.

You read correctly. Ninety-five percent of what's in the cargo hold has not been looked at. So where do we put the National Guard? In the places where they're least needed, standing watch over airport workers who are already scanning carry-on bags, however imperfectly.

Kauvar also points out that domestic airlines fought a proposed system to make sure no one checks a bag and then walks away without boarding the plane. It was too costly, and it would take too long, the airlines argued after Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, killing 270 people.

So here I am at Burbank Airport, where National Guard troops are standing around wondering what to do with themselves while hundreds of unexamined bags are carted out to planes.

Here they are with their M-16s over their shoulders while tons of unchecked mail and cargo are loaded onto planes.

Here's yet another pilot from yet another major airliner calling me on the telephone to say these are the very things that concern flight crews most.

Mary Schiavo, former inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation, says she's tired of hearing from the airlines that security upgrades will create expense and delays that the public won't tolerate.

"I think we're being bullied by the airlines right now," she said.

Schiavo, who was traveling on business, called me from Baltimore-Washington International Airport, where National Guard troops were stationed at terminal entrances and exits.

At her gate, she looked out on the tarmac, where unchecked bags and parcels were being loaded onto planes.

"Just get the scanners," she said with a combination of fatigue and dismay. "I'm astonished we didn't immediately say enough is enough. How many lives do we have to lose before we say we're going to check every bag that goes on a plane?"

Columns by Steve Lopez appear Monday, Wednesday and Friday. He can be reached at [email protected]

[ 02 November 2001: Message edited by: ONTpax ]