PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Automatic Updates

Brian Dixon
13th Nov 2007, 08:58
Hi oh wise ones.

Firstly, my apologies if this has been covered befre. I have searched, but if the answer is there, I don't recognise/understand it. So... that's my level of knowledge covered.

I'm currently running Windows XP. My e-mail is Outlook Express and my browser is Firefox. I have F-Prot as my virus checker, ZoneAlarm and Crap Cleaner.

Four days ago there was a power failure in the village, whilst I was on-line. When the power returned I could access e-mails but not the internet. I can't recall the exact error message but there was an 'unable to find win32 (something)'. In desparation, I reinstalled Windows XP back onto my computer, and the problem appeared to have gone away.

However, I now have a problem when I get Automatic Updates. They download, but refuse to install. I an sure it's because of the reinstallation of XP, but the computer is saying that I have 80 updates waiting to install.

I checked my update history and the last two entries are 10 Feb 2005 followed by 10 Nov 2007, which was Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

There are two entries which follow, dated 11 Nov 07. Both are security updates: KB914388 and KB919007. These have not been successfully installed.

I am absolutely positive that updates happen automatically and that there have been loads between 2005 and 2007, but where have they gone? Also, how do I get my system sorted so that I can install the 80 that are waiting, and will this get me back on track?

As always, I am grateful for your help and guidance. Assistance please in words of one syllable or less.

Kind regards,
Brian :ugh: :ugh:

bnt
13th Nov 2007, 09:09
My first thought is that you need to install Service Pack 2 - Microsoft say you must have at least SP1 before Automatic Updates will work, preferably. SP2. After SP2 there will be fewer bits to download.

Parapunter
13th Nov 2007, 09:12
The obvious port of call if you've reinstalled the o/s is activation. MS won't allow updates untill you've activated it. Check for a set of keys icon in the system tray on the bottom right hand corner of your screen.

Brian Dixon
13th Nov 2007, 17:46
Thanks everyone.

I had re-installed Service Pack 2 and could not see any key icon on the screen.

After spiralling into more and more expletive use, I bit the bullet and telephoned Microsoft Helpdesk. I was talked though numerous changes to .dll files :confused: and eventually all seems sorted.

I have written out a hundred times 'I will leave my computer alone' in the hope that I have learnt my lesson.

Very many thanks for your suggestions of help.
Kind regards,
Brian

unclenelli
16th Nov 2007, 11:01
Having formatted and reinstalled XP Pro (SP1), then activated, the installed SP2 (from CD), I find that I cannot download several web pages, yet others load instantly.
I can get BBC.co.uk, but not www.microsoft.com

Using TRACERT to MS stops on hop 4 at ashburn.opentransit.com which is a server in Viriginia, USA

Does anybody have any ideas?????????

Saab Dastard
16th Nov 2007, 13:37
Contact your ISP!

What is the IP address that www.microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com/) resolves to?

Show us the tracert output.

SD