PDA

View Full Version : another CC wannabe!

Dupre
30th Jul 2001, 13:20
Gidday,

I'm about to finish my degree, and would love to know a bit about cabin crewing. I'm a guy, 6'3", living in NZ (but have british passport.

I want to be a pilot ultimately, but would love to get some experience in long haul aviation to a)find out if it is for me and b)have a bit of fun, and a groovy lifestyle for a while!

I just need to know if I have any major problems (height?) and whether any airlines would be interested in me with the pilot thing... I am considering a second language.

Finally, what's the deal with being hired as cabin crew? will an airline bond a new recruit after training for a certain period? (how long? I don't want to be doing it for 7 years!)

Can anyone give a rough indication of pay, and working rosters?

Thanks in advance,

Dupre.

Cart_tart
30th Jul 2001, 17:34
Hi there.
Not sure what 6'3" is in cm's but most airlines have height restrictions - usually 162 - 183cm.
I'm pretty sure that you need to be a pilot with an ATPL to get a job with an airline in Aust...perhaps you should post that question to Dunnunda & Godzone. Lots of pilots there!
As for being "bonded" to the airline. Some airlines do it & others don't.
Pays and rosters also vary from airline to airline.
Good Luck with your quest!

Dupre
31st Jul 2001, 16:11
Thanks for the reply Cart... 6'3" is a smidge over 190cm... I checked a few airline's websites, and the tallest upper limit i came across was 185cm. Kinda squashes the dream eh?

But still we must soldier on! So does anyone know of an airline with a max F/A height in excess of 190cm???

exkiwibird
31st Jul 2001, 18:40
Sorry Dupre, in my experience you are too tall for any airline as cabin crew! Re becoming a pilot - yes there are some cadet schemes within airlines such as BA but there is no easy route to becoming a pilot. The answer is to get your Private Pilots Licence any way you can ie. beg steal or borrow. Most pilots I've ever met have worked very very hard to get where they are .... its got to be a real ambition (or to have very rich parents!)

xtc
3rd Aug 2001, 10:17
Mate there are plenty of crew in EK whom are very tall, so give it a go...

Dupre
3rd Aug 2001, 10:44
thanks xtc... but what's EK?

cheers!

GalleyWench
3rd Aug 2001, 22:44
Dupre, The smaller "regional" carriers generally have stricter height limits due to smaller aircraft with lower ceilings. The major carriers have more generous height restrictions, just bend your knees a bit when being measured! We have a 6'4" colleague ,he is very good at keeping the pax...under control. We also , as do many carriers, have cabin crew that have gone on to become pilots. The days off of our job are ideal to pursue that dream. Good luck!

ops_bored
6th Aug 2001, 12:47
EK is Emirates, out of Dubai. :cool: