PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Interviews ( Part 2 )

Wirraway
1st Nov 2001, 15:41
Smile,Dreams, Cloud Nine,Biscuit Chucker
Sweet n Innocent,Cabin Boy, Mr Seatback 2

Happy to see you attacking and getting
results,plenty more aircraft for VB to
come which means more F/A jobs available,
wish all of you great luck.

Hope you don't mind Smile, keeping your
thread going.

Wirraway

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: Wirraway ]

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: Wirraway ]

smile
2nd Nov 2001, 15:31
Wow everyone, look at us, so much to share that we need to start another thread!!!

Thanks Wirraway for opening this new one up. I wanted to reply earlier today but a big blackout put stop to that.

Cloud nine I have a photo coming to you as soon as I find one that is half decent. I haven't spent too much time in front of a camera in the last couple of years!! :p

Talk to you all soon

cloud nine
3rd Nov 2001, 03:46
Thankyou CABINBOY for ur pics!!!All I can say is TALL DARK AND HANDSOME!!!!!

SMILE...I will look forward to your pics too.

Still no news on VB for me......waiting!!

cloud nine
3rd Nov 2001, 04:01
FERRIS!!! LOL!!!! What a cute pic!!!!!!!

PS..... What is your beauty Tip?? You look so young!!!! LOL

cabinboy
4th Nov 2001, 13:07
Pictures Pictures Pictures ! Cloud nine you are a very pretty girl yourself. I can just see you in the khaki pants and white shirt with the Virgin embroided logo !
Ok well, because I am sick of waiting for an interview invitation by VB what do you reckon of my plan....

1. I reckon there is enough of us VB wannabe's here to make enough for a group interview - Whats say we all turn up at the same time to the head office and say we were called in for an interview, how can they turn us away when there are so many of us waiting !

2. On the inaugral flight to CNS or DRW i'm going to book myself on the flight wearing a shirt that says " I want to be Virgin Blue Cabin Crew - HIRE ME ! "........surely Brett Godfrey would be on the flight so i'd have to score an interview !

Come on Virgin, where are you ? I'm waiting for my interview !

dreams
4th Nov 2001, 13:29
Hey guys, Well to be quite honest cabinboy i think you might have to put ur pic on ur resume and i'm sure you'll get a interview!!! Bit of a spunk i must say!!! :)
Totally agree with cloud nine on this one!!!
Well still no word for me yet about my interview...but just a little goss for all ya's my friend worked at ansett and her friend also worked there and is now working at VB in HR and i have been told that the HR girls in there don't know what there doing!!!
So she going to talk with her friend at Vb and find out whats going on with the whole interview thing!! I let you's know more when i know.
I also received an email from Emirates saying that i'm on hold for an interview session...now i know this may seem like a silly question but say i do get a call do they have interviews here or in Dubai???
Take care people... :)

cabinboy
4th Nov 2001, 14:08
Dreams - How did you get my pic ?......care to explain cloud nine ?...hehe :D .....now you have to send me yours dreams !...fair is fair !

The Emirates recruitment team actually travel to australia when they recruit, they usually always hit BNE,SYD and MEL. I've heard some nasty stories about the Emirates interviews - i.e - long waiting times on the day etc etc

anyway back to VB...once again I have heard the same gossip re VB HR dept - stories about applicants getting a call for an interview when they are already working for VB etc etc......not sure if it's true though.

cloud nine
4th Nov 2001, 16:50
SHEISK!!!! Cabinboy.....I have no idea how DREAMS managed to get your pics???? Care to explain DREAMS.....( he he he )

As for the Emirates interviews,cabin boy is right, they do come to Australia. I had two friends that went to the first interview in SYD about 6 months ago. Unfortunatley they were not invited back to the second. They both said it was not as relaxed as QA or VB interviews. I have heard that Emirates are very piccy with looks. They basically like blondes...but then again 1 of my friends is blonde and she didnt get in, so I cant really comment on this. All I know is that they pay top dollar and they are supposed to be pretty good to work for. Dreams...I hope you like pink eye shadow, cause I think that is part of the uniform !!! Hmmmm....Im glad to say that doesnt exist in my make up bag!!!

cloud nine
4th Nov 2001, 18:15
Do you think that my email has a virus??? maybe it sent Cabin boys pics to dreams!!! How terrible!!!!!LOL

cloud nine
5th Nov 2001, 04:50
BICCY CHUKKER.........maybe sick squid can play the part of dexta!!! LOL...remember him??

dreams
5th Nov 2001, 07:58
Hey, well i'm not sure how i got ur pic cabinboy all i know is it was there!!! I will send mine to ya don't ya worry.
Well thats good to know about Emirates although i'm waiting. i'm not sure if u's guys notice but easyJet are recruiting aswell i know it's a bit of a hike to the UK but if your interested you might just go!!!
Take care people :)

Ditch
5th Nov 2001, 14:06
Wow, I am impressed with just how eager you all are to work for VB..its great to see. As you all know I am a staunch supporter of VB, even though I fly with the opposition. Its great, that even in defeat, you all are staying positive. In my mind you will all get there. I wish we had people with so much guts and determination in my airline, as you lot have.

Smile, Cloud nine, Cabin Boy, Dreams Doohan, and any one else i may have forgot.. your dreams will come true soon. Just keep on keeping on. I think Cabin Boy's idea of the group interview thing is fantastic..id love to see the reaction.

While your at it..why dont you all join Cabin Boy on the inaugraul flight he was talking about, and all wear those T-Shirts. :D What a great idea Cabin Boy - you have guts, determination and at the same time your a thinker. Perfect for Cabin Crew.

Can I make a suggestion to you all? ;)
Mr Seatback 2, wrote recently that his airline, QantasLink - Impulse is recruiting. Have any of you thought of giving that a go?

From what I hear, the wages are similar (perhaps a little less) to Virgin Blues. I hear the 717 is a nice plane, and it goes to nice places. Not sure though where crew are based. I see the Cabin Crew in the terminal in Sydney all the time, so there may be a base in Sydney. I think Launceston could be another - can any one shed some light here?

Good luck to you all. I really do hope to see you working as Cabin Crew soon. :)

[ 05 November 2001: Message edited by: Ditch ]

[ 05 November 2001: Message edited by: Ditch ]

cabinboy
5th Nov 2001, 14:18
Ditch,

Thank-you for the kind comments, it's great to hear some supportive remarks from someone already in the position we dream of !

Mr Seatback is probably on a luxurious 5 day trip at the moment (b**stad!) but I know the answer to the questions him being one of my best friends and all :D

Qantaslink/Impulse bases - Sydney and Melbourne. They have just closed the Coolangatta base due the resumption of services back into OOL by QF mainline.

What about LST mr seatback ?

deepvainpain
5th Nov 2001, 22:23
Sorry to but in guys but when you go to the Virgin Blue interviews can you tell me what they are like. I work for Virgin Atlantic and had to go through a really embarassing interview to get the job.
For your sakes I hope they are not similar, I had to sing and it was NOT good. God knows why they gave me the job!
Look forward to hearing from you and good luck with the interviews. I dont care what anyone says, Virgin are a great company to work for. They are young and innovative airlines and not stuffy and boring like some other we could mention. ;)

smile
6th Nov 2001, 04:32
Deepvainpain if you want to know what happens at the VB interviews have a look at the original 'VB interviews' thread. Its long, but its really good reading!! :D

cabinboy
6th Nov 2001, 11:27
*************** STOP PRESS ************************

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY !!! CABINBOY HAS A VIRGIN BLUE INTERVIEW ON THURSDAY !!!!

It's a long story guys but after a polite email and a couple of phone calls I got invited to a Virgin Interview this thursday 8/11/01, after speaking to the recruitment officer she advised me " not " to wear a suit......so now I am back to square 1....what the hell do i wear !

As for the interview, i know there is a group activity first but what type of questions do you get asked after that ? Any help is apprecitated.....the count down begins

CABINBOY

cloud nine
6th Nov 2001, 11:35
WOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Im excited CABINBOY!!!

Oh lordy....."what to wear TAKE 2 !!!"

smile
6th Nov 2001, 11:41
Congrats Cabinboy, looks like we don't need to streak through headoffice anymore.

It's kinda strange that they would advise you what not to wear to your interview, but take their advice all the same. As for what you DO wear well let me think about that one!!

They didn't really ask you any questions about what you know about VB. In fact I dare say I could have gone to that first interview knowing nothing about the airline industry at all. All that happened at my interview was they gave us a 15 minute talk about VB, then we did the group song thing, then they asked us if we had any questions. I asked about training graduation parties and safety testing-- I thought I would try to show both ends of the scale.

Although I guess it didn't work for me!!

Good Luck :D

cloud nine
6th Nov 2001, 12:11
Smile, they were great questions that you asked, i cant understand why you were not asked back. I wish you were. How many days did you wait for your "no letter?" Did u have 1 or 2 interviews with them. Its a week today since my first interview.....i still havent heard, I guess they are busy and may wait till Brizzi recruitment is over before they make there final decission. honestly though, Im climbing the walls, checking my emails 20 times daily, waiting at the post box for the mail ( postie knows me now) and I even take my mobile into the bathroom with me. Stop laughing!!! Im serious!!!

doohan
6th Nov 2001, 12:13
Congrats CabinBoy, Cloudnine, you are Certainly starting a trend getting people to call VB HR, hmm... i might do the same thing...
Thats what i call determination!
Once again Cabin boy, fingers crossed for you.... goodluck cause we all no how much you want to be part of the Virgin Blue team.

Plus you deserve it, with all the help and encouragent you've given your friends on this forum!!!

:) :) :)

dreams
6th Nov 2001, 12:57
Cabin boy you could wear pants and a dressy shirt or you could always go for the t-shirt with " I want to be Virgin Blue Cabin Crew - HIRE ME! I'm sure that would go down well! :)
I think i'm going to call Vb i can't wait anymore!!!
Take care
P.S make sure you let us know how u go cabinboy.

cabinboy
6th Nov 2001, 13:15
thanks for your support everyone you honestly don't know what it feels like to be able to log on to the internet and a have support group of wonderful individuals there to help....it means so much...]

well i've narrowed it down to just wearing a nice collared button up shirt with pants ( a smart/clubby type look ) or nice trousers with button up shirt or option one with a suit jacket but no tie......you think i am any closer to reaching a decision......pfffffttttt !! :D I'm as bad as a hollywood celebrity going to the Oscars !

Did they take your resume off you at the interview or just peruse it ?

dreams
6th Nov 2001, 13:50
Cabinboy what happen to my t'shirt idea??? :) They take ur resume off ya.
take care.

cloud nine
6th Nov 2001, 14:37
cabinboy,

make sure u have a copy of ur resume. VB will keep that. They didnt look at my original...

Wirraway
6th Nov 2001, 19:55
Cabinboy

After watching your posts for a very long
time on here and other F/A sites, I will
keep my fingers crossed on Thursday, I
think you are overdue for a break. Goodluck

Wirraway

Ditch
7th Nov 2001, 07:50
Cabin Boy....

I am a boy as well, and recently had an interview with Virgin Blue. As you know im already an FA, but would love to move to Brisvegas, hence I applied.

I wore, grey pants and a lilac "Van Heusen" shirt, with no tie, as I was warned that they hate anything conservative - GUESS WHAT
It didnt work :(

All the other boys wore the full regalea with tie. The interview was a great experience though and I really had alot of fun. Using props, we had to make up either a song, fairytale, or poem, advertising Virgin Blue. I wore a sailors hat and had a rubber snake in my hand...and....swung it around..how embarassing. :D :eek: In fact I almost took a tumble, thanks to my leather soled Florsheims :rolleyes: It doesnt help that whilst performing this Carryon, we were also doing the Can Can...Sheesk..it was alot of effort, but great fun.

They will look at your interaction with others in the group. They will see how they react to you, and how you manage to put all this together. I was very neutral..I invited ideas from the others, gave my own 10 cents worth and then we all put it together, into a song.

The other group was fantastic..They did a fairytale about a Virgin passenger who lost her frog (handsome prince) and was very sad.They performed as if they were the cabin crew trying to chear her up, and then her best friend met her at the other end.

I was dissapointed I didnt get through, even with 4 years experience. But..I still am flying which I just love to death, and you will too. Guess ill just have to wait about 5 years to transfer north.

Cabin Boy, youll do great..hope Ive helped you in some way. Let me know what you wear.

Good Luck mate :) Youll be great ;)

Mr Seatback 2
7th Nov 2001, 11:14
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Squeals of delight for you all!! And if VB turn their back on any of you - well - all I can say is THEIR LOSS!

Right then - having just completed another 2 day trip (overnighting in Hobart...like, woo hoo...) ;-> - I'm now able to give you the goss on Impulse/QantasLink...

WELL...it's Sydney or Melbourne base following the closure of Coolangatta (with most - not all - of those staff moving to one or the other)...many staff resigning right now (flown with 3 who finish in a couple of weeks time) to take up jobs or study overseas (eg. Winter Olympics, travelling, etc)...

Impulse have apparently been saying to people they're not recruiting - which would explain the sudden number of people floating around our crew room cafe with resumes and 'flight attendant interview outfits' (i should know, I was one for 3 years!!)

SEND A DAMNED RESUME PEOPLE! What's the worst they can say? Not yet??? NO??? HELL - we've all been down that road before - only worry about it when they ask you in!!!

5 days and counting till QF decide to purchase us or continue wet leasing us (one or the other, so our future is safe!!) - Much godd about us getting some additional aircraft, or 737's into the bargain - like most things in this industry, believe it when you see it!

As for Virgin Blue, personally, I think it's silly to choose someone PURELY from what they're wearing (I mean, no suits - "we don't like that" ...surely an indication of how well a guy can groom himself - if he can't put on a shirt, tie and pants without making a balls up of it, then what CAN he wear?)...and yes, VB don't wear ties...but come on?! What, wearing a suit makes you LESS of a candidate? You're not AS GOOD as someone who wears jeans yet with far less experience?? Anyway...not my company, so who am I to care?

I soooooooo wish you all the best of luck - I can only imagine the nerves you're all feeling - just remember, whatever the outcome, YOU'RE ALL NUMBER ONE!! YOU ARE THE IMPORTANT ONES and FLYING DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON! A better drinker, yes, but not a better person!!! ;->>

cloud nine
7th Nov 2001, 11:14
Ditch- Im sorry to hear that you didnt get called back for VB. Thats sad, your already flying and you sound as though you have ALL the experiance.honestly in this industry, alot of it has to do with "luck" on the day, and as long as you had fun and learnt something from the experiance in the long term it will all be worth it. Im not going to say keep trying as Im sure you will. Just remember as QA told me, only 1 in 100 actually are succesful. I totally agree on that...although sometimes I think its 1 in 100,000! But the positive side is that someone has to get in, so why not one of us. if you dont try you will never suceed. I sat around for almost 10 years just dreaming about FA, thinking...too hard. One day it hit me, and I realised Im just as good as the next person...and I went for it. 2 interviews later and ive been up to the final stage in both, so I must be doing something right.
Take care
PS. was your interview in SYD or MELB?

Wirraway
7th Nov 2001, 14:07
Cabin Boy when I went for my interviews last year for V.B. I wore suit & tie & got the job.This may of changed but I haven't heard of it.If you don't want wear suit & tie I'd go with a suit & a nice open necked shirt with some colour.

Sweet & innocent,your so in providing u haven't done anything illegal 2 weeks previous 2 your medical. Cloud 9...a friend of mine got into V.B. last month,her final interview went for an hour..15 minutes doesn't sound good but they r recruiting big numbers at the moment

Good luck 2 all!
galley rat

cloud nine
7th Nov 2001, 14:56
Wirraway,

my thoughts exactly, I was so worried that my interview only lasted 15 mins....but then I realised that they were doing 2nd interviews every 15mins, so I calmed down a little. My girlfriend had hers a few hours b4 me and hers lasted the same time. well its a week today since I went, they said I'd be contacted between 1 to 4 weeks, so this is it guys..."ITS OFFICIALLY THE CONTACT PERIOD!!!!"

smile
8th Nov 2001, 03:55
Cabinboy Good Luck with your interview today!!!

Dreams and Cloud nine, what's the latest update with your VB interviews?!?!?! :D

Ditch
8th Nov 2001, 05:14
Cloud Nine...

My interview was in Sydney at the Parkroyal. We were the last session of the day, and the recruitment team looked tired and over it. Unlike others, we wernt shown the uniform and one girl did all the talking, while the others sat there with a foul look on their face, which suprised me. I expected them to be as bubbly as hell. Still, it doesnt change my view on Virgin Blue, they are a great airline. Good luck to everyone.

Cabin Boy....D DAY..Good luck mate ;)

cabinboy
8th Nov 2001, 08:07
Well...... here we go !

I turned up on time looking SMASHING BABY !! (Austin Powers )....I did not wear a suit. I turned up in a really nice lime green button up collared shirt with really nice black pants and shiny shoes. There were 4 guys in suits which looked horrible, ugly ties bad hair and they were all fat ! 2 other guys rocked up closer to my age - one guy was 20 and the other was 23 both wore long sleeve shirt with tie. Anyway, my group were nearly all ex ansett - I made friends with them all in the foyer and one ansett girl and I made good friends ( we were preparing our jingle in the foyer...shhhhhhh ! ).....anyway, they gave us a big speel about virgin and it sounds great - I really think I would love working for them!! We got split into 2 groups then performed our stint and then after that into pairs - I smiled and smiled and smiled and just acted as myself, what more could I do ? The bossy disco dotty's did their thing by trying to be the boss of the group so I let them, good for them... I was rather quiet but tried to include everyone in the discussion.

We got to ask questions at the end and every question I thought of was taken ! Then I thought........knock em out with your knowlege.......so I asked " Is it true the new 737-800's will have in-flight entertainment ? "..........basically I trying to show them I know my Sh*t ( I think some of the other girls were thinking what is a 737-800 ! )......anyway, thats it !

What more can I do......I did the best I could, we were told to expect a call in the next few days or maybe even in 2 weeks !

Cloud 9 and Sweet/Innocent - they said that the next training school is end of november, then the next one is in January 2002. We were also told not to reapply for 6 months after this interview.

And get this, 2 of the girls at the interview didn't even apply off staff cv website, they called the HR department and "asked" if they could come to our group interview as they heard that one of their friends was invited........VB said " yeh sure " so they turned up !

Well, lets see what happenes, to be honest guys I really don't think I stood out. I was the shortest guy there and my baby face looks are probably not appealing to them.

Regards and thank-you all for your wonderful support,
Cabinboy :D

dreams
8th Nov 2001, 09:30
Hey cabinboy, its sounds like you had heaps of fun, which is good!!! Well i hope you find out soon.
No news for me yet!!!
Cloud nine any news for you?
Sweet..whens your medical, hope it all works out for ya. :)
take care

cabinboy
8th Nov 2001, 09:54
Dreams/Cloud 9,

just one more thing, we got told today that after the group interview there is 2 more interviews......I repeat... " 2 " more iterviews.....whats the story there ?

cloud nine
8th Nov 2001, 17:47
Cabinboy......time will tell now. Welcome to the 'waiting game"!!!!
Dreams, still no news for me. I'm now using your saying..."another day that I survived without the no letter."

cloud nine
9th Nov 2001, 03:22
Hey SMILE,

Whats been happening matey? Still waiting for my pic of your happy self.....take care.

smile
9th Nov 2001, 09:06
Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been as active on the forum lately.... I've been a little busy. I have just finished exams at uni, am in the middle of organising an engagement party and am hunting for a house.

Cloud nine.. I will have that photo to you as soon as I finish my spring clean!!

(Gosh I'm sounding domesticated!!!!)

I'm also waiting for you guys to move to Brissie so we can all go out for coffee or hot chocolates or milkshakes........ :D

cloud nine
10th Nov 2001, 06:19
SMILE- Thats sweet...will definatley be in on the hot choccy or milkshake if I move to Brizzi. Although, I'm not feeling very positive about the whole VB thing anymore. I have a feeling that 29 is to old in VB years.........

cabinboy
10th Nov 2001, 07:04
and I have a feeling that being born a male is against me :(

Cloud 9 , i think you and I need to drown our sorrows together......what will it be ? Rum&coke or a VB ? ( no pun intended )...

dreams
11th Nov 2001, 11:36
Hey everyone, hope u are all well. Well I took the plung and called VB, well no hope they were I tell ya! They don't have a clue what they are doing in there! The HR team just got from ADL and haven't even processed the SYD and MEl interviews yet, now thats a bit slack don't ya think!! So basically I told that I have to wait until they process them. Four weeks on tuesday, I"m still going to try and get some more inside goss from the girl that I know working in the HR team, so as soon as I know anything I"ll let you's know. But it looks like where all in for a long wait :(
Take care

Ditch
11th Nov 2001, 13:28
Hi yall...

Well its been almost two weeks for me, since I had my interview, I only did the group thing. I havent heard anything either, and have pretty much accepted that I was unsuccesful.

Cabin Boy..I think you may be right. I am a boy to, and it seems we have been brushed by a mighty big hairbrush mate :D Its funny though cause my friends (cabin supervisors) at Virgin Blue, told me they are desperate for guys, they dont have enough. This is true. When I flew with VB before my interview, to conduct research, the Cabin Supervisor introduced the crew, and said "and working down the back is .... our boy on board..there's not many you know"

:eek:

Heres hoping you all get some positive news soon hey... ;)

cabinboy
11th Nov 2001, 14:53
Ditch,

Someone with inside information advised me that there are 17 male flight attendants amongst the rough 300 total figure of cabin crew.

From what I have observed the " ideal " male candidate would have these characteristics-

- 24 - 35 years of age
- Tall
- Very Solid/Well Built
- Extremely Attractive
- Boyish Looks (not the typical airline look -i.e - no gel/wax etc )

Ditch I also belive I have been unsuccessful, I just have that gut feeling - but thats not the end of me yet, they'll be receiving my application again in the next few months if I get the dreaded rejection letter.

Regards
Cabin-I want my silver wings with the red Virgin logo on them-BOY

cloud nine
11th Nov 2001, 15:16
DREAMS....you finally called huh??? Good for you, I must say that has put me at ease a little knowing that they have not yet processed the SYD MELB applications as yet. No news is definatly good news.

DITCH....Im sorry that you have not heard back from your first interview, I hate to say it but youve probably already guessed that it doesnt sound good. Thats so sad as you sound like you have extrene passion for flying. But hey we can ALL try again and again if we are unsuccesful. Its all a learning game, and I honestly believe that the more knock backs you get, it will make you a better FA in the end. Plus imagine finally when we do get that "YES" call....How big will we celebrate???

CABINBOY....you never know what is around the corner, remember u are the lucky one that may get called back at any time as you are in QLD. Dont give up yet. Youre damm right...I'll be there with bells on next recruitment time if I dont get it this time. They say that the hardest thing about being a FA is getting through the interviews.

Ditch
12th Nov 2001, 07:25
Cabin Boy...

hmmm those requirements are interesting. Its funny. Im quite tall, (180 cms) 25 years old, I visit the gym about 3-4 times a week, so have an athletic build. I do wear gel in my hair though, which is blonde and worn messy surfer style. Im also told that I am an attractive guy, and that I have the funky virgin look. (NO BODY LAUGH PLEASE OR YOUR ALL IN TROUBLE :D )

So it must have been the gel in the hair, or was it the lilac shirt, or perhaps they just didnt like me. We'll never know I suppose, we just have to keep trying. Even though they said you can't reapply for another 6 months, im going to re register today. I don't like rules.

Cabin Boy, I was in Brisbane yesterday and saw a white Virgin aircraft, I think the rego is VH-CZO or something along those lines. It wasnt red like the others, does you know what the caper is there? :confused:

I cant believe they only have 17 guys. Talk about out numbered. I wonder if any of those are cabin managers..must ask my friends.

Take care all :cool:

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: Ditch ]

Ditch
12th Nov 2001, 07:31
Cloud Nine...

Thankyou for your kind words. Im going to reapply straight away. Yes I am passionate about flying. I have been an FA for almost 4 years now, and would really like to migrate north, hence the reason Im looking elsewhere. Hopefully we might all work together some day soon. ;)

cabinboy
12th Nov 2001, 12:06
Ditch - The aircraft was former Ansett Australia 737-300 VH-CZQ...it has been leased to Virgin for 6 months in a hybrid " all white " scheme.

As for the gel in the hair...well...I wear a bit every now and again...it all depends...I do the wet/messy look also which I thought would be ok...however on the day of the virgin interview I did the dry hair "boyish" look :D and it obviously didn't work either. I'm a gym junkie also but am not very solid, so thats is where I have bombed out in the typical "build" department !

As soon as you all come to QLD the party will begin ! :D

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: cabinboy ]

Kem
14th Nov 2001, 09:28
Ditch, interested to know how you go with VB after re-applying. I've tried the ol' re-applying soon after being knocked back trick with a couple of airlines, only to be phoned by those those airlines and told not to bother re-applying for six/twelve months as stated in reject letter. Can't say I'm not persistent. Interested to know what VB do! Let us know.
Just for curiosity's sake, anyone know the age of the oldest FA at VB? :cool:

cabinboy
14th Nov 2001, 10:33
Kem,
I highly doubt any of us will have a problem reapplying within our 6 months, no offence to VB or anything but when I arrived for my group interview we all just walked in. Our names were not crossed off a list or anything like that and with so many people stomping through the VB office for interviews I highly doubt they would remember who you are, but come to think of it...I can recall a certain "situation" with another unmentioned airline where one ppruner was " ejected " from the group interview for flying to another city 1 week after his initial group interview to try again and was discovered by one of the interviewing team, this airline however keeps tracks of applicants etc etc.......and NO it wasn't me ! ( This person is now a flight attendant with QFLINK and perhaps he wouldn't mind sharing the story ? :D )

Any news yet anyone ? I'm still waiting for my letter so I can move on with life !

Mr Seatback 2
15th Nov 2001, 10:57
Good day everyone - just finished the 5 day trip (WITH a medical emergency thrown in) and I have news for you...

The person who was ejected was ME! YES! ME! I'm not afraid to say it! PERSISTENCE is what gets you this job! DAMNED if I'm going to follow rules!!!

The story goes as follows:

Flew down to Melbourne (this was in Oct 98 during the HUUUGE walk in recruitment drive for Qantas - long and short haul) and did the 5 minutes with one interviewer thing...At no time did I ever see anyone get invited back for a group stage...So as far as I knew we were all getting those little cards saying "maybe in 12 weeks time", etc etc

THEN they came to Sydney - and it was all on - EVERYONE was there...twice I came back with that 12 week card - only this time I SAW people getting invited immediately to group interviews...not happy one little bit Jan...

THEN I did it a third time in Sydney - of course I committed the cardinal sin at each one by saying "no" to "have you been interviewed before for this job?" nonsense...only on this occasion, the woman greeting people at the door (who just so happened to be the same woman at Melbourne) recognised me...and then I was ejected...needless to say I didn't get far...

Like I said, I've just finished a 5 day trip (Sunday in Hobart, Monday in Launceston, Tuesday in Hobart and Wednesday in Melbourne. back to Sydney on Thursday-today)...last night I dealt with a medical emergency on board. My Purser has written a commendation of my handling of the situation, how well I administered first aid, etc...

SO...Qantas can go and get stuffed...Impulse/QantasLink looked past my age and saw that I could be of use to them...and now here I am!

In these times - particularly with the AN collapse - it's a lot more competitive and with so many people applying for these jobs, airlines have a tougher time scrutinising applicants...but this job is worth the world to me! It took me 3 years and 11 interviews - and I'm having a ball!

For those of you who are still hanging in there, keep trying...I remember what it was like for me when I read your posts. I couldn't imagine doing anything else that's more enjoyable, rewarding or fun! KEEP PERSISTING PEOPLE - DON'T LET THE LIKES OF QANTAS, VIRGIN BLUE, ETC GET YOU DOWN!

They obviously don't know what they're missing! :)

cabinboy
15th Nov 2001, 12:52
Anyone know how old the youngest female/male cabin crew member is at Virgin Blue ?

Wirraway
15th Nov 2001, 13:56
Cabinboy
The age range seems to be 18-32, with the
bulk 20-27.

Wirraway

cloud nine
15th Nov 2001, 15:16
SEATBACK...good for you, you deserve to finally get in. SHEISK!!! 11 interviews, thats dedication!!! You have given me so much more hope, I will not stop till Im in the air either...
I'm still waiting on news from VB. Getting a little worried that it may be bad news, i dont know how much longer i can wait....very anxious. No news is good news so Ive been told??????? And your definatley proof that good things come to those that wait.
Hey...what happened on boared regarding the medical emergency???????

cabinboy
20th Nov 2001, 12:13
Cloud 9 ? have you heard yet ?

I'm still waiting waiting waiting..

anyone else ?

cloud nine
20th Nov 2001, 13:29
CABINBOY.....I'm still waiting...no news what so ever :( Im sure "D" day is close now. Honestly.....I'm thinking that i will be getting the "thanks but no thanks" letter. I did hear from a friend at work that she new someone that was interviewed in SYD and just found out that she has the job. So thats why Im guessing I'm not successful...THIS TIME...I will keep trying and trying.So one day when your flying around the world and you see that flight attendant with no teeth, a hip replacment and grey hair...you'll know that is me...yeppy cloud 9 finally got in.....30 years later!!! he he he :D

smile
20th Nov 2001, 13:39
OK Peoples... I'm am tired of waiting, therefore everyone must swollow their pride and call up Virgin tomorrow. I want to know when you wil all be coming to Brissie for coffee. Now I know Cabinboy is already here, but the more the merrier I say!!!

I will be checking back here tomorrow night -- I expect answers.

Who knows they might be waiting to see how serious you are by waiting until you call?!?!? :p

Ditch
21st Nov 2001, 04:15
Me havent heard anything either :(

smile
22nd Nov 2001, 05:33
I don't see too many replies!!!! (Ditch excepted)

The suspence has to be killing you-- make the call!!! :p :p :p

smile
22nd Nov 2001, 05:42
While I'm here has anyone heard anything about Australian Airlines?? Any word on when it will start operating-- or more importantly-- start looking for cabin crew!! :D

Sweet N Innocent
22nd Nov 2001, 06:54
Hi Dreams,
Sorry its taken me a while to reply, I have been sunning myself on a Cruise Ship...hehehe :)
I had my medical on the 8th of Nov and got my call the Monday that just passed.... I have been offered a possie and start on Jan 07. I am also being flown up to Brissie on Dec 17 for a uniform fitting.
Best of luck to the rest of you, you all have my full support.
Let me know how you all go.
Sweet :)

cloud nine
22nd Nov 2001, 15:20
SWEET N INNOCENT....best of luck to you.You are a lucky gal..you are the only one that I have heard of that is successful. You did something right....good for you.
I was hoping that I too would be up in Brizzie in Jan, but unfortunatley I still have not heard, so my guess is that i was unsuccsesful. Oh well life goes on. But still you should be proud....thats one hell of an acheivment.... :p

smile
23rd Nov 2001, 05:06
Hi sweet'n'innocent, WEll done!!!! :D :D

Do you know anyone in Brisbane? Feel free to email me if you need someone to show you around, or help you go house hunting. Or if you just need a friend so that moving interstate isn't so daunting.

I'm sure Cabinboy wil also be interested in meeting a fellow Pruner!!!

:p

cabinboy
25th Nov 2001, 02:37
Sweent N Innocent,

Can you confirm with me if you will be BNE based ? are the relocation costs at your own expense ?

What day was your first group interview and how long did it take since that day to get your offer of employment ?

Congratulations
Cabinboy

** edited for type due hangover **

[ 25 November 2001: Message edited by: cabinboy ]

Sweet N Innocent
25th Nov 2001, 07:09
Hi CB,
All I can say is that is that the VB recruitment process was very full on!
My first interview was on the 30th of Oct, and I was called back that afternoon for next round the next day. After being successful in the one on one I was asked to stay for the final one on one interview the same day. At the end of that final I was asked to book in for my med.
Following the med I had a trip overseas planned ( VB called home while I was away, I am assuming to advise I had been successful? ) and on my return - 19 NovI - I received a phone call with the offer of a position starting Jan 07. I was told I would receive a contract through the mail within 2 weeks.
In answer to your question, I believe I am to be based in Brisbane, they have asked numerous times if I am prepared to relocate and yes it is at your own cost. I thought that all VB crew are based in BNE?? Is there a possibility that I could be based in SYD?
I am excited and happy about this offer, but to be honest I have lost alot of sleep over what I am leaving behind, and the move is not and easy decision to make....
BUT, I can't believe this is finally happening I have wanted this for so long! Whatever it takes, I will do... I can't wait to start! :)
Thanks for your support CabinBoy...
Sweet :)

The Emailer
25th Nov 2001, 08:37
SNI - Check your email :cool:

cloud nine
26th Nov 2001, 04:22
Hi Cabinboy,Dreams,Ditch,Smile,Feris,Doohan,Biccychuccer, and anyone else that I have missed..
Today I received my "no' letter from VB...Even though I half expected that I was not successful, it is still is dissapointing. But at least Im not left hanging and waiting anymore.
The worst thing about it is not the fact that I didnt get into VB, its the fact that it will probably be months and months before another airline recruits again. Thats the saddest thing.
But there are alot of us that are in the same boat and all we can do is keep trying and trying. :( :(

Kem
26th Nov 2001, 09:50
Commiserations Cloud Nine, know the feeling! Even though you have an inkling you're gonna get the dreaded letter, still not pleasant to finally get it, huh. Hang in there babe, you'll get there - you know you will. VB's loss I say. Have you tried Impulse/QF Link and all the regionals or is that a "oh derrrr" question?

cabinboy
26th Nov 2001, 14:10
Cloud 9,

Bad luck my friend :( ..... I'll say this though ....from my experience and dealings with you I have a very high opinion of you. You are caring, compassionate, itelligent and gorgeous - So I know one day you WILL make it because you definetley have the " right stuff " to make a valuable contribution to any airline.

Keep the faith and don't give up.

CB
P.S - Looks like VB are doing a big rejection mailout, I'm extremely confident mine is on the way !

doohan
26th Nov 2001, 15:20
Cloud Nine, I am so sorry to hear about your letter. There wasn’t anyone that didn’t deserve it more than you. Seriously… you inspired a lot of people on this forum, including myself, through you dedication and never say die attitude!
I am proud of you!

Throughout this forum, we have heard a lot about Virgin Blue… Qantas…. Virgin Blue… Qantas and maybe the odd Emirates. What about Ansett Mark II?
Seriously… there is a good chance that our proud Aussie airline will fly again successfully, and we all need to pray it does, because a reliable source of mine says… they will be doing an off the street Recruitment very soon. Once the Administrators have signed off to fox Lew bid and paid the existing staff there entitlements, our beloved Ansett will spread its wings again, Giving everyone the opportunity to apply!

I can honestly say Cloud Nine, you would look Great in Blue and Gold uniform, so too would Cabin Boy, Dreams and anyone else I forgot to mention on this forum. I too would look forward in donning my uniform again, but I have to re apply just like everyone else.

So gang, hang in there… as one door closes an A-320 one opens!!!!

Absolutely!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

cloud nine
26th Nov 2001, 16:34
Cabinboy, Doohan and KEM(oops how did I forget u)
Thankyou for your posts..very VERY sweet. Had a shocker of a day, and all your posts (plus a Carlton cold) made me feel alot better. I only wish that you 3 were doing the interviews, Im sure I would have been successful. LOL.
Kem...yeppy I have appiled with every airline possible. Youve gotta be in it to win it!!!
Doohan...Ansett II?? What is the go there? I was under the impression that sadley they were doomed. I hope not, for your sake and all of us wannabes.
CabinBoy..what can I say, your my last hope that at least one of us will get some good news regarding VB.
Take care all...x

MT Edelstone56
26th Nov 2001, 17:10
VB course started today,a few candidates didn`t turn up!

You VB girls all look the same.Was on turnaround in BNE and noticed a training school on lunch break,my favourite was the young cute girl,about 19,looks a bit like the lead singer off No Doubt.For sheer salaciousness though,liked silicon t$ts.

Hey girls,don`t listen to the male flight attedants,especially the ex AN ones,they are just trying to keep you to thereselves when referring to sleazy pilots!!

Anyone recognise NoDoubt,tell her she has a big fan.

cloud nine
26th Nov 2001, 17:40
SHEISK!!!! Bulldog.....Must remember to visit the plastic surgoen for those implants b4 next VB recruitment!!! LOL. Just wondering how they hold up with cabin pressure???? Could get kinda dangerous in turbulence!!!!

Ps...have to agree to disagree with ya on the ex ANSETT male FA....
:D

2daddies
26th Nov 2001, 19:53
Hey guys - recently got a start with QFlink/The Pulse but up the pointy end, not down the back. Mores the pity, I think because my first impression of the Cabin Crew thread is that you're all ***SHOCK*** pleasant to each other!

I usually reside on Dunnunda and Godzone and quite frankly it seems to me (I've always known it, mind) that the vast majority of my peers wouldn't know a kind word if it thumped them in the head.

Ultimately, love your work back there and keep up the standard.

cloud nine
27th Nov 2001, 04:11
Welcome 2daddies,

So your the one that takes us all for a ride huh? LOL
yeppy, there's some pretty nice ppruner's in here.
Security will remove you if you cause any trouble in this forum!!!! he he he :D

smile
27th Nov 2001, 10:27
Hey Biccy C, Did you apply for VB too, or have QF offered you a permanent position at the end of your contract??

Ditch
27th Nov 2001, 10:31
Got the dredded "thanks but no thanks" letter today :(

Cloud Nine..My letter said that I will be held on file for future vacancies. Ive got a feeling its just a standard thing they do. Did your letter say the same :(

Chins up everyone...we'll do it to ourselves again and again until we get where we want to be, and we will all support each other again.

Cheers big ears, oh and Sweet and Innocent;

CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :)

I bet you cant wait for your fitting, its the funnest part. Good luck with your ground school as well, hope you settle in well in Brissy..im sure CabinBoy will look after you.... ;)

smile
27th Nov 2001, 10:49
Hi Ditch, I think that is pretty much the standard letter. Oh well-- I think i mentioned in a post a while ago that we should start up our own airline. Even if we all turn out to be bumbling, clumsy and a little bit quirky-- we all know that we will be successful due to pure determination. :D

cloud nine
27th Nov 2001, 11:55
Ditch,

Im sorry that you too got the same letter as most of us.
Yeppy mine also said I would be kept on file. What a load of crock!!! Honestly do you really think that it will be kept on file???? Unfortunatley I cant see my self receiving a call from them inviting me to another interview.
Oh well...we ca only keep trying

dreams
27th Nov 2001, 13:16
hey everyone, sorry i hve posted in a while.
Well get this i got my "no letter" last week and now have just received another one!!! As if one letter wasn't enough they had to send another one!!! not happy at all!!!
i'm so sorry to hear about everyones letter :( you would think that more of us would get through they probably only take barbie look a likes...
take care

cloud nine
27th Nov 2001, 13:30
DREAMS...I cant beleive that you got another letter?!?!?! Thats terrible!
I remember when this thread first started, a few comments were posted about VB being unproffesional ect ect....hmmmmmmm....Im sad to say that I think it may be true. Dont get me wrong Id still love the chance to work for them, but honestly I think there may be a few hic ups in the HR department.

smile
28th Nov 2001, 04:43
Wow!! Look at the odds of getting in. If we represent the general public that want to be Flight Attendents then our odds don't look too good.

Well done Sweet'n'Innocent for getting in. (my offer still stands if you need any help adjusting to Brissie.)

As for the rest of us-- Cabinboy, Dreams, Cloud nine, Doohan and everyone else that has applied-- well at least we have one less person in competition with us!hehehe :p

So I am now suggesting a new form of interview. First the hopeful recruit must be a regular poster on the PPrune site. And they must be a genuine person. This person will be observed over time by the content of their posts. That is if they are encouraging, have a sense of humour, enjoy the company of others, work together as a team.

Second stage of selection consists of a one week holiday on a tropical island (all expences paid)where the hopeful recruit is again observed. Being the biggest party animal, being able to perform the funniest bomb dive and funkiest moves on the dance floor are all ways to ensure being successful in this stage.

The final stage consists of one week in a customer service area, again being observed to ensure that the selection process sees us doing what we do best.

This is the fairest selection process I can come up with. :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

TwinNDB
28th Nov 2001, 05:46
Hey all.

Just like 2daddy earlier i normally reside in D&G or JB but this VB post caught my eye. Only a young'un at the moment and certainly not lucky enought o be at the point end of a 717 but I do hope to be with Virgin in about 2 years. So here's hoping that I'll see some of you about then.

I think that VB would have to be about one of the best to fly for/with. Some of the stories i've heard just make it sound like a great environment to work in.

Good luck all.

cabinboy
3rd Dec 2001, 10:22
Well guys - have I got a story to tell you.

As you know I hadn't yet received my VB rejection letter, last week I got a phone call from the same girl who was in charge of my group interview some 3 weeks ago, she said she had received my application and would like to invite me to the first round interview. Because I want to fly so badly and knew deep down that my rejection letter was on the way from the first interview I had several weeks ago I thought I would try my luck again and attended another group interview.

This time I wore a suit and once again looked smashing, this time round there was 60 in the group interview. When waiting outside I was trying to hide from the the girl who called me up for fear of her recognising me from 3 weeks ago...anyway...never fear...she approached me and said are you " name here "...i said yes and thought....oh sh*t...i'm busted !......but no....i gave the poor girl to much credit, she said " oh yeh.. like I recognise you from your cv photo "......errr sooo....basically this girl couldnt remember me from 3 weeks ago when she met me FACE to FACE....but she remembered my cv photo ? please explain ? ( It's clearly obvious which gender type they were paying attention to that day )

This time during group activities each group was assigned a recruiter and I made sure that this time they took notice of me, I was socially aware, friendly, encouraging and happy happy happy without looking phony. A friend from my workplace was there also and he knew the recruiter....he was gobsmacked just like me....this girl ( the recruiter ) was 20 years of age and has never been a flight attendant.....yep.....thats right, never ever been a flight attendant, but apparently mature enough to make life altering career decisions for the candidates at the interview, my friend then informed me of the background of this 20year old - to say i'm disgusted is just one of the words.
She was a recently a new hire from another airline (office duties position) and now she is a recruiter at VB. I'm glad the decision of my sought after flying career was left in such capable hands.

Virgin stated their group activity is a "scientific" way of choosing the best candidates, I can somewhat understand the background to it but I can't understand how a 20year " girl " would know who would make a good flight attendant or not.
Anyway, 1st rejection letter arrived friday and on monday the 2nd rejection letter arrived..........go figure.
:confused:

Depressed and Bitter ! Come on Virgin, give us a go. I'm sure we would all turn up for training at least.
Cabinboy

Cabinboy I've applied a small edit to this post... you are undoubtedly upset, and may indeed have a valid grumble, but I can't let pass a/ any information which could identify an employee for an airline without their consent and b/ I've removed a slightly personal insult that wasn't necessary.

Not a major problem, no hint of a censure, just be aware that the heat of the moment sometimes causes forum boundaries to be breached.

And on a personal note, sorry to hear all the results for everyone on the receiveing end of the PFO letters... do keep trying. Those who believe, achieve. I've seen it too often in too many different fields for it to be wrong.....

Sick Squid
CC Forum Moderator.

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: Sick Squid ]

dreams
3rd Dec 2001, 14:24
hey cabinboy, at least you got two letters for two interviews i got two for the same interview if one wasn't enough....how mad does that make you, knowing that girl that doesn't know anything can decide whether or not we get in, it makes you sick!!! don't worry its there lost!!!!
take care

Theo Racle
5th Dec 2001, 03:50
Cabinboy - Sorry wrong attitude... You are the weakest link - Goodbye!

cloud nine
5th Dec 2001, 14:00
Cabin Boy...Whoa...what a terrible experiance, same for you as well dreams!!!!We will all get there one day as we have the dedication. And no matter what, we are the STRONGEST links with the right attitude!!!!And those that have just popped onto this site and choose to judge, obviously dont have the dedication, comitment, that we have!!!! You go CABINBOY you have lots of fans here!!! he he he

cabinboy
5th Dec 2001, 14:32
Theo Racle,
Yes I admit my attitude was bad on the day I posted that message, but there are plenty of people on here with good attitudes and look where it got us ?

I still have a good attitude and still love Virgin - just upset with the disorganised nature in which I was invited to an interview I had just attended 2 weeks prior, and how someone who has never worked as cabin crew before was making the decisions on wether I would be a good flight attendant or not.......anyway....it wouldn't really matter what attitude I have or display theo racle because your always keen (and always first) to pass on your nasty comments to me, i've seen it before and I dare say i'll see it again. But don't worry.....we'll be working together at Virgin soon so we'll be best buddies.

Over and Out
Cabinboy

smile
5th Dec 2001, 14:58
'Cabinboy! He's our man! If he can't do it ~ no-one can!!

Yeahhhh Cabinboy' http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheering.gif

smile
7th Dec 2001, 02:50
Hello Everyone, I thought that I would log on to save Mr S Sqid the hassle of starting another thread ( we have almost reached the 100 mark again-- that's twice, not a bad record!!!) :p

Anyway I guess we are getting away from the Virgin Blue thing as most of us have received notice of our fate. :( So I am changing the name of the next thread to "Cabin Crew 2002" because I know we are all just around the corner from getting our dream jobs. And it also has a nice ring to it!!!

Talk to you all soon :D

cloud nine
7th Dec 2001, 06:59
good Idea once again Smile...oh yeah...a big thanks for that email...im getting the hang of those cute little pics too.

Sick Squid
7th Dec 2001, 14:40
...and on that note...... post no. 100!

Nice one :)