PDA

View Full Version : Wtf - Nz

galdian
12th Nov 2007, 11:38
Apologies if raised before but I cannot work out a sane, viable reason from within.

New Zealand, with a total population of between Melbourne and Sydney (3.0 and 4.0 million) do/will have at least 3 domestic airlines (ANZ, JitConnx, Pac Blue) doing commercial battle.

Why??

I can see the thoughts about international flights/international connections (although still have to be convinced about the economics) but 3 airlines battling over 3.5 million people) ??

Sorry - just can't work it out :(

pilotdude09
12th Nov 2007, 14:13
Well really if you want to be technical about it :p its not 4 million people.

You have the Jafa's at 1.2 million
Wellington has approx 400,000 give or take a few thousand
Christchurch has around about 360,000ish people

Which is around about 2 million people.

Next Major centres are Napier, Dunedin and Tauranga with all over 100,000 people.

After that you get Nelson, Palmy North, Rotovegas and then Invers. With between 50,000 and bout 70,000. Dunno the pop of Queenstown but its prob around the 30k mark?

As i see it DJ should have:
AKL
WLG
CHC
ROT
QTN
DUD
Tauranga
INV-But they would have to have enough freight to justify a 737 flying out of there, ATR's struggle to go out full but then again at the price NZ is charging we know why, can get to $800 return to AKL, maybe trying to convine people who actually reside there they are living in the wrong place :p

My way of seeing it anyway, think thats where they will be most profitable looking at facts and figures. Dunedin, Tauranga and Invercargill are only served by NZ, which would be an added bonus to DJ and i know for sure Dunedin is in dire need of another airline, especially with a nice brand new terminal and only one airline plus freedom to use it.

But Dunedin may be the only one that generates enough traffic for a 737 to be full. Think it could fill a couple DUD-CHC 737 serivces a day, NZ have put 737's on it when major events etc are on and done quite well. But DJ would have to make it just as cheap to fly as it is to drive.
:ok:

Cloud Cutter
12th Nov 2007, 19:30
What about HLZ, surely you can't forget the Tron? :eek:

There is only one true domestic airline in NZ, the others would be like an Aussie airline that only does BNE-SYD-MEL

I don't know enough about it to fully answer your question galdian, but remember that tourism is one of NZ's biggest exports, so it's not just the NZ population you're dealing with. A good example of this is the direct 737 services between ROT and ZQN at certain times of year.

Air NZ was able to stimulate the market significantly a few years back when they introduced 'Express'. Perhaps a low cost carrier could attract even more of the traveling public?

pilotdude09, I think DUD will be next on the cards for DJ, along with PMR, HLZ and ZQN. Might have to wait for E-jets though. Also, I don't think air travel ever needs to be as cheap as driving, as most people will pay a premium for the convenience.

tinpis
12th Nov 2007, 20:07
Top marks for kiwi ingenuity being able to extract money from tourists to visit that tip Rottenrua http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/fart2.gif

Cloud Cutter
12th Nov 2007, 21:30
Tell me about it, on a calm day the smell starts through about 4-5000 feet :uhoh:

South Island much nicer than Vegas. Even Brisvegas much nicer than Rotovegas :8

pilotdude09
13th Nov 2007, 01:01
Whoops totally forgot about HLz :O

I guess it doesnt have to be as cheap as driving, but it almost is now anyway with the price of petrol in NZ :eek: 1.60+.

Will be interesting to see what DJ do because they will make their money off the Triangle.