PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! To fly or not to fly...

VH-XXX
12th Nov 2007, 05:37
So you're cruising along in your Kingair when this happens. Do you land, assess the damage and then proceed to take it back to base to be repaired (at a lesser speed), or do you ground it and wait a week for the local sheet-metal guy to repair it???

Ouch! No idea what type she collided with, but there was blood there, so nobody ran it into the bowser.

Taken at West Sale on Saturday.

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/king1.JPG

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/king2.jpg

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/king3.jpg

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/king4.jpg

troppo
12th Nov 2007, 05:52
Bog and 100 mile an hour tape

Ultralights
12th Nov 2007, 06:05
as a structures guy, and pilot, i would NOT fly that! you have no idea how the disturbed aerodynamics will effect aileron response.

if i remember rightly, a similar aircraft ( twin turboprop) was brought down by ice forming in front of the aileron, seperating, and the resultant aerodynamic effects causing uncontrollable roll and spiral dive.

Howard Hughes
12th Nov 2007, 06:06
I am led to believe the type it collided with is called the Mark IV Ibis, on second thoughts maybe it was only the Mark I Ibis!;)

Jabawocky
12th Nov 2007, 06:17
HH

Knowing you are very well connected to these ops........was it you?:ouch:

Must have been one helluva thud!

I agree with Ultralights assesment of how the flow over the aileron might be an issue, but it clearly landed ok.

So let me guess.......the fact you asked the question in the first place suggests you saw the poor thing get pointed skyward again shortly after!:eek:

J

alidad
12th Nov 2007, 06:28
It was that drunk on the runway at Wilcannia. had to swerve 3 times before I hit him. Then I jumped out and said to him "Gee your lucky I came along- I'm from the RFDS and I'm here to help you"!!!:E

Howard Hughes
12th Nov 2007, 06:36
Not me, I wouldn't be caught dead in a KFC box...;)

VH-XXX
12th Nov 2007, 07:18
It wasn't an Ibis, it was an old Coote.

He apologised for getting in the way and walked off.

(I hope that made sense)

Howard Hughes
12th Nov 2007, 07:21
As I said, "I am led to believe", not claiming to be an eyewitness...;)

Jabawocky
12th Nov 2007, 10:50
So what is the story XXX. Put the facts straight would ya!

J

Brian Abraham
12th Nov 2007, 19:07
Daughter was back tracking 09 when he suddenly appeared on final having just taken off shortly before. Unable to establish coms with him due being on different freqs (approach v ground as it turned out) so she took to the grass. She had a chat with him later and he reported big vibes so guess the stress factor was up some what. Plenty of Ibis to dodge at the moment. RAAF Kingair had a strike same day.

Belgique
15th Nov 2007, 04:35
Which rego and base is this RFDS bird?

Capt Fathom
15th Nov 2007, 05:28
Nasty birdstrike indeed!

Ah, the bird wasn't sitting in a tree at the time was it?

Just kidding! :E

OzExpat
15th Nov 2007, 10:39
Geez!
I've had a few strikes myself and have seen many more. That one looks really bl**dy nasty. I sure hope you got it fixed before flying again. :ok:

Time Bomb Ted
15th Nov 2007, 22:09
Yep I have always said that Ibis's.. Ibii?? should have it mandatory to be fitted with a Transponder. We shouldn't have to wait until they bring out the ADSB boxes. I bet they don't even pay Air Nav charges....

TBT:}

Howard Hughes
16th Nov 2007, 07:07
Better an Ibis than a Pelican!:ooh:

PS: The plural of Ibis is either Ibis or Ibis-es...:8

morno
16th Nov 2007, 07:18
Nahh I'm pretty sure it's Ibii HH, :}

Conti-520??

Capt Wally
18th Nov 2007, 09:13
Our feathered friends are becoming more & more prevelent these days at AD's (prob due to the drier conditions & therfore seeking more & more of the food chain further afield) but to the pilots credit here he did a sterling job of conducting the req control checks prior to returning for a safe landing. It was an Ibis that damaged the outer part of the starbord wing happening just after T/off. The damage was to a relatively non structual area just outboard of the main fuel cell & remained contained within the wings ancillary structure, ie. wingtip outboard & fwd of the mainspar. The PIC would also not have liked to have flown such a damaged craft as one reader suggested here but he was airborne at the time of the impact & therefore had no choice but to land asap. The A/C in question is a ML based plane that will soon be back in the air once again saving lives.
Well done FG, how many is it now mate:-)