PDA

View Full Version : Allocated a window seat without a window

V800
11th Nov 2007, 21:32
Firstly I will admit to using a cheap ticket and having no FF status, but could somebody at BA explain why I always seem to get allocated the window seat without a window.

For a recent trip to Montreal from London on a three class 777 on line check in showed me allocated 17K, as I did not know the cabin layout and based on past ecperience I changed my seat assignment to another row just in case. Needless to say on boarding the aircraft row 17 had no window. Again for the return leg I'm allocated 17K again and changed my seat again.

Surely somebody knows where these seats are and why aren't they held back for people who check in late?

PAXboy
11th Nov 2007, 22:18
www.seatguru.com :ok:

AircraftOperations
12th Nov 2007, 12:07
Why should people who check in late be penalised?

Why not people who pay the lowest fare, for example?

Not everyone wants a window seat to look outside - some want it to avoid having to get up when other people on their row want to move around.

RexBanner
12th Nov 2007, 12:21
"some want it to avoid having to get up when other people on their row want to move around"

totally agree but the flipside to it is when you need to go to the toilet and the two people outside you have fallen asleep you are screwed. to be honest I'd rather be able to get up and move around freely without having to tap someone on the shoulder. But thats a totally different question!

k3lvc
12th Nov 2007, 13:07
Seatguru.com is great but for the fact that on a BA 777 row 17 doesn't just have no window - it has no seats either !

PAXboy
12th Nov 2007, 14:48
Any and all sites have disclaimers as they are not official sites and rely upon pax doing the research.
http://airtravel.about.com/cs/seatmaps/?PM=ss12_airtravel
http://www.seatexpert.com/

TSR2
12th Nov 2007, 16:25
The BA 777 is three class configuration certainly does have row 17 seats.

apaddyinuk
15th Nov 2007, 08:14
Checkin agents only know if a seat is a window seat by its alphabetical prefix. So if it is an "A" or a "K" then as far as they are aware, it has a window!!! There little seat map is not a 3D representation of an aircraft cabin I am afraid to say!!!

highlandchieftain
16th Nov 2007, 00:02
don't always depend on seatguru. We checked it out in advance of a trip on a BAW 747 and it lists right back to row 53 which are coloured yellow. We couldnt check in online for various reasons so imagine our surprise to be allocated row 55 D&E (gulp)
We took A&B in row 51 on the return as these were among the few two together seats and they were great. Sorry to gatecrash your post and hope u find the best seat

nivsy
16th Nov 2007, 18:48
Its the same on these 146's or should I say Avros....cant remember the row...7 is it? Noticed this on Swiss machines as well as the ex Air UK/Buzz machines etc.

Nivsy

PAXboy
16th Nov 2007, 21:37
No seat plan website can hope to keep up with the variations in fleets and the operational changes made day to day. From:-
http://www.seatguru.com/about.php
... but we still can't fly on every single plane, which is why our visitors are so important. Through a "Submit Comments" link on each aircraft web page, thousands of reviews have been submitted to the SeatGuru database by other flyers who enjoy a great seat.So if you find something different, you can mention it to them but to help them be accurate, it would be best to be able to tell them the registration of the a/c. This is painted on the outside of the aircraft and readily available information, it is not classified.

topshed
18th Nov 2007, 20:36
I have to agree that getting a "window" seat that has no window is only bettered or worsened by having a seat next to somebody at the window who promptly pulls the blind down to avoid seeing out !:{

Mr 1A!
27th Nov 2007, 10:35
Hi,
I dont work for BA but I work for another airline as ground crew.

When we check in we can display a seat map however it only shows a very basic map showing whats seat are taken, what can be assigned and what seats are over the wing. We know what seat are "window" seats because of the letter relating to that seat eg: A and K windows and sometimes L but it depends on the config of the aircraft. Unfortunately it doesnt show if a window seat doesnt actually have a window.
As I know how frustrating it can be getting a wall when you really want a window I have checked on our aircraft what ones do and dont and I leave them to last. If i do have to give a wall window out i tell the passenger.
But i guess check in agents for airlines that operate different types of aircraft and configs it would be hard for them to know them all.

Well I hope in future you get your window seat with a window.

:)happy flying:)