PDA

View Full Version : BA Job Cuts

bmedcabinlad
4th Sep 2001, 21:37
Heard on the news today that BA intend to cut 1,800 jobs in the near future including some of the cabin crew workforce. A little concerned as I was offered a job at LHR Eurofleet in June and am still waiting for a start date.

Can anyone shed any light on the possiblility of me ever being able to begin the job which I have been given??
Thanks.

Hugh Jampton
5th Sep 2001, 00:35
Have a look in the wannabe section (BA Job Losses).

It looks like you're unlikely to be affected by this :)

Human Factor
7th Sep 2001, 01:18
A friend of mine in a similar boat was phoned yesterday to be told that there are no more courses until at least the new year. She had her interview for Eurofleet LHR in April and had been told to expect a course in Oct/Nov.

If you know anything else I'd be grateful so I can pass it on.

laune
8th Sep 2001, 17:07
I am in a similar position having been interviewed in May. I was told all courses had been cancelled and there was a possibility of courses in the Spring.

Birds2perches
9th Sep 2001, 20:35
Yep. Have a couple of friends also in the same boat. I reckon it's pretty obvious that the old crew on mega contracts will be made an offer they can't refuse to take early retirement/redundancy. It makes more sense to do that. I shouldn't be too concerned about not getting your courses, although I also reckon it'll be much longer than anticipated. Those that haven't even been given a date yet, could be waiting for at least another 4 - 6 months.

I see turbulent times ahead for BA. They need to make some drastic cut backs. They are suffering huge losses. :confused:

AMEX
10th Sep 2001, 19:11
In 1999 I went through BA's selection with the promise of a start date within 4 months or so.
Well it would have been so if it wasn't for the recruitment being halted for another year to 14 months.
The good news though is that BA really keeps you on file and even call you once in a while to make sure you are still interested. In fact, during this waiting period they actually offered me a contract with EOG (Euro Gatwick) on two occasions. (Turned it down twice because I was only willing to join on a mainline contract). So when pretty much a year and half later after the interview, the company offered me a EuroFleet position, I decided to go for it.
All I am saying is that when dealing with airline jobs, it is a good idea to keep your options opened at all times. I have been in the holding pool for two different companies and both times it has been for over a year and half.
No regret of course because in both cases it was worth the wait...
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/frog.gif

moosey
14th Sep 2001, 17:33
The latest from BA is that the people who have heard will get their training course and then there will be a recruitment freeze and people will be held in a holding pool. There will be NO severence as this costs too much, so more part time contracts will be offered.

hometown
14th Sep 2001, 18:12
Make no mistake when the fall-out from this terrible tradegy clears there are going to be huge implications for the ailine industry worldwide.
In the Uk BA & Virgin will be lucky to survive.
And as for BMI ...... ?
I expect huge job losses from all the UK carriers.
I sincerely hope i am wrong.

Porcupine
15th Sep 2001, 17:46
Buzz at the moment for cabin services is,
4# 747/400 mothballed. Loads 24hr availability.
Unlimited unpaid leave,and if the numbers are not reduced buy this method then we will be working a 3 week month ie,work 3 and get paid,stood down and not paid for the 4th.
And it could get concievably,this time is not like the Gulf War there was some money to tide us over,not this time, if you read the Telegraph today the feeling they have is that the axe could fall big time.