PDA

View Full Version : should i do an HND

iain32
11th Nov 2007, 21:19
Hi
I was thinking when i leave school to go and do an HND in Aeronautical engineering. I was wondering whether this would be ideal as in the long run i want to be a pilot and i am currently working towards my PPL.

Thanks

charliegolf
12th Nov 2007, 08:11
Why an HND and not a degree? The entry demand is similar, there's a possibility of free flying with a University Air Squadron, and wider job opportunities whilst funding your training.

CG

AlphaMale
12th Nov 2007, 10:31
The entry requirements are not the same, and the time spent doing a HND is 2 years as opposed to 3 years with a degree.

When I was studying for my degree the people who had spent the 2 years doing their HND was accredited the 1st year of a degree, So some students in my class in my second year has already been there for 2 years and got a HND.

I was also told if I dropped out of Uni after my first/second year I'd still walk away with a HND.

If you don't get the grades for a degree go for a HND as it'll be a good back up should you not land a Pilot job, I'm sure you could always do a top up course and spend another 2 years before getting a BSc/BEng in Aeronautical engineering.

And as CG said, get in with the Uni Air Squadren and you have some good flying too (I think you'd be able to get in the UAS with a HND? ... Might be worth checking though).

Tahir
12th Nov 2007, 12:58
From which School?

AlphaMale
12th Nov 2007, 13:17
From which School?

Does it matter that much? A degree's a degree. A HND's a HND where you do it is erelevent.

Same can be said for pilot training.

Does it matter if you do your CPL/IR via OAT or Cabair? A blue book's a blue book.

charliegolf
12th Nov 2007, 21:18
Alpha

I was lazy with my typing. 'Similar' was meant to mean that A level is the required level for HND entry.

These days, most universities have a foundation year option for most students who've not met the A level score. It makes it a 4 year degree, but so does the HND+2 route.

CG