PDA

View Full Version : Church Broadcast

Cricket23
11th Nov 2007, 19:16
Hi,

Can anybody suggest how the following could be done, or even if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

Our church hall does not have a phone/broadband link, but what we would like to do is to be able to 'broadcast' somehow our Bible Class mtgs, so that the members who can't get along could still see/hear the address.

What I was thinking about was using a laptop, suitably kitted out which picked up the vocals and then sent them to the internet, or similar to be heard by others.

Could you, for example, send them to Skype (or similar) and have an open conference line which people could dial in to and then listen. And/or, could you broadcast this to say Facebook, and then members could pick up the signal (maybe even visuals) from there.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

C23

The Flying Pram
11th Nov 2007, 21:20
If you don't have internet access you won't be able to do it "live", if that was your intention. I'm sure I've read about churches that record their services and then make them available as a Podcast, so that parishioners unable to get to church can download and view/listen later. I can't help with the technical details though I'm afraid.
P.S. Google "Podcasting Tools" This should give you more info.

Saab Dastard
11th Nov 2007, 21:27
I assume that it has to be "live", and that recordings for later playback would not be acceptable.

My thought is that you might be best served with a conference call solution. being a single voice channel it doesn't require more than a standard phone line. It also gives you control over who can access the meeting, and also could provide participation for those accessing remotely (via speaker phone).

If this is to be a regular occurrence, why not invest in a phone line to the hall? You can always have the line locked and the equipment removed when not in use.

Of course, webcasting is a possibility, if 2-way participation is not required, and there are a number of software solutions available to create the streaming media content.

However - and it is a big however - you would really need a broadband connection to manage the data required, and with neither phone line nor broadband connection, you would be struggling! 3G is feasible but expensive.

The range of microphones is limited (for either scenario), however - most systems are designed for table top solutions (in my experience), though I'm sure that there are other solutions available - you would need to investigate this depending on the number and arrangement of the participants.

SD

Cricket23
11th Nov 2007, 21:29
Thanks. Yes my intention was to do it 'live', although the podcast idea is a good one. I'll look into it.

C23

The Flying Pram
11th Nov 2007, 21:39
Just a thought - there are many types of high gain antennas for boosting the range of WiFi devices. It might be possible to set up a link to your, or a willing volunteers house. Distances of a kilometer or more are claimed by some of these devices. "Cantenna" is just one of them.

Cricket23
11th Nov 2007, 22:23
Hmm interesting. As you say Saad D, we may have to invest in a phone line to the hall.

C23

green granite
12th Nov 2007, 07:31
Microphone wise buy a cheap mixer say one with 4 channels (about £20 from maplins) and place the mikes so you get good sound coverage of the whole area

eticket
12th Nov 2007, 22:15
Someone will probably suggest this so it might as well be me.

Can I be really really really boring and suggest that before you go too far it might be worth your while investigating all the copyright and performance rights issues involved, to reassure yourself that the project is viable. If you have already done this then well done and please ignore what follows.

I do not know the answer to this as far as your project is concerned but if you know of another church that is doing a similar thing they might be able to give you some advice both on licensing and on the technical side. (Whilst advice from Head Office might be unavailable to you at the moment a representative at the national level of your Church might also be able to help you out as someone else must be already doing it.)

Here is a link to some advice on copyright licences that the Methodists have had to take out for day to day services and for out of main worship time A-V playback on the church's premises. The Church Copyright Licence seems to cover the recording of the hymns on the official register of licensed hymns for non commercial use and not for sale purposes. (But does it cover streaming live?) Presumably you will have to check that each hymn/song that is going to be used in a service is on the list.:uhoh:

http://www.methodist.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=opentogod.content&cmid=1552

Distributing it afterwards on Audio Cassette for the use of the infirm etc. of the parish is one thing but putting the same content up on the www might turn out to be another. (Even if the material is only accessible by password etc. by the very same infirm.)

Cricket23 I am sorry to be so so boring and I wish you well with your project.

ps You could always get the Vicar or equivalent to wear a radio mic, (with freshly recharged batteries and on a frequency available for use by amateurs.) Vicars etc. do tend to move around the stage, (pulpit, altar, front of house etc.) and so having a mic on them could help. But make sure you have plans to cover him/her with other mics should it fail or slip deep into their vestments!

NWSRG
12th Nov 2007, 22:34
Does your hall have a sound system? If so, you should be able to take a feed out of it into a laptop. Then get some software (Audacity is an example) that can capture your audio track. Once you have that captured, you can burn CDs, or save as an MP3 etc. This gives you a file that can be downloaded from a suitable website (hopefully your church has it's own site...if not, get one set up...check out carnmoney.org as our own example!)

Hope this helps!

Sallyann1234
14th Nov 2007, 15:09
I think you'll find your answer here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radio/ifi/rbl/rsls/rslapps/