PDA

View Full Version : Won't Re-Locate, Have Life

Kem
24th Oct 2001, 10:36
Why is it that some airlines expect you to up and move wherever they ask you to and won't even consider you if you checked "no" in the "are you willing to relocate to any of our bases on the planet" box? Do they expect everyone to ask their significant others/kids/pets to all uproot their lives as well? Do I just lie on the application form and turn the job down if it's not in the city I've got a life in? :confused:

Theo Racle
24th Oct 2001, 11:27
I agree! I've always wanted to work for Swissair but the bastards wont open a base in Australia - arrogant a#%holes!

(no offence Swissair meant to Swissair folks - first foreign Airline I thought of)

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: Theo Racle ]

Sensible
24th Oct 2001, 12:40
Absolutely disgraceful, airlines should fit their business to suit their employees whims and lifestyles. Entirely unreasonable for them to expext their employees to put themselves out. They need to move their operations to where the employees want to live. :D

Kem
25th Oct 2001, 02:17
You're right Sensible. I should tell my husband to quit his high paying senior job and my three kids to change cities/schools/friends (how important are final exams really?) to move to a completely new city where they'll know no one, husband won't have job, just so wife/mum can earn a paltry salary just because she wants to work at something she loves.

min
25th Oct 2001, 06:09
Unfortunately Kem, family life brings with it many compromises. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself what is more important - job/career or family considerations, and you seem to have answered that question for yourself. It may not be fair, but tis life. You'll have to look into ways to successfully combine both, but it's never easy.

M.