PDA

View Full Version : Irex Exam and Jepps

Big Kev
11th Nov 2007, 11:13
Will be sitting my IREX soon - is it ok to use Jepps instead instead of DAPs for this exam?

Most guys I speak to say Jepps are better than DAP's because its what the airlines use etc etc so before I go out and buy a set, I'd like to know if its ok to use for the irex exam otherwise i'll use the DAPs.

Thanks in advance.

BK.

:ok:

p.s -> If anyone has a set of current Jepps that they want to sell then please let me know.

Adam_V
11th Nov 2007, 11:38
You can just use the jepps instead of the AIP, so I'm assuming the DAP's aswell.

I have a mate who has a mate who is selling his jepps, no contact details though. I'll see what I can do.

Good luck, and make sure you know your alternate requirements back to front.

Soulman
11th Nov 2007, 22:04
Direct from the CASA website (http://casa.gov.au/fcl/exams/cyber/material.htm):

CASA permits the use of Jeppesen as an alternative document to CASA AIP, with this advice:

As provided under CAR 233(1)(h), on a candidate's own preference, the JEPPESEN AIRWAY MANUAL may be used as the examination reference in place of AIP, but if any differences between AIP and JEPPESEN documents result in the selection of incorrect answer(s), CASA will NOT accept this consequence as a basis for re-mark

Either AIP or Jeppesen documents may be used, but NOT both.

Good luck!

AerocatS2A
11th Nov 2007, 23:14
The two Jeppesen Manuals effectively contain the ERSA, DAPs, and AIP. The vast majority of it is the same paragraphs verbatim from the AIP although the layout is different. The difficulty with using them is mainly when studying. You need to have study material that references the Jepps.

I would use whatever you prefer. "What the airlines use" should have nothing to do with how you choose to pass your IREX.

I'll tell you one time it is a bad idea using them, when doing your ATPL Nav exam. The exam questions are based on flights that can be plotted on one ASA chart. I had a couple of questions that required using two Jepp charts, unfortunately they were on the opposite sides of the same bit of paper.

Big Kev
12th Nov 2007, 02:33
Hey thanks guys and Adam_V if you can track down those Jepps then i'd be much appreciative.

Thanks heaps.....