PDA

View Full Version : High Temp Binding Tape

boeing_eng
11th Nov 2007, 10:30
Hi

I've got another CAA type question which I've seen a couple of different answers for (can anyone help?)........

The question is along the lines of:

What type of binding tape is used in temps up to 360oc?

The answer options are: Nylon,Nomex or Teflon

The question is referring to electrical loom binding tape and the answers I've seen given are Nomex or Teflon.
Obviously, one has to be wrong (any offers please?)

Thanks

BE

Hand Shandy
11th Nov 2007, 15:12
The problem with a lot of the questions and answers I`ve seen on various websites is they are like Chinese whispers so the wording may not be that exact. I`ve used lacing cord flecked with nomex for critical areas although its use is unrestricted i`d imagine to any area of an aircraft but as for binding tape a commonly used type is scotch 70 but i`m sure thats not rated up to 350c maybe 350f and is made of silicone and good for holes in car exhaust pipes. So the questions you`ve got may be leading you up the proverbial garden path , although nomex would be my guess.

boeing_eng
11th Nov 2007, 17:13
Thanks for that

Yes, I agree that the CAA/EASA has a habit of changing questions in a small way from time to time to catch folks out!

Having done a lot more research today it seems there have been various versions of this question with one older one seen simply asking what binding tape would you use in a high temp area. In this case the answer probably was Nomex. It seems the confusion originates from that version of the question as the latest version apparently asks what tape would be used in temps up to 360oC

In all on-line spec sheets I've found for Nomex Tape, the max temp given is 260oc (so it looks like Teflon is the correct answer to this current version!)

Golden Rivet
11th Nov 2007, 18:05
Boeing SWPM temperature Grade D materials are generally PTFE based.