PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most popular 2nd language??

cloud nine
23rd Oct 2001, 16:18
Hi friends,

Ive decided to take the plunge and use this non recruiting time to go and learn another language. I speak English, and have very basic Indonesian speaking ability. Can someone advise me on what is the best language to learn?
I want to get into Emirates, Qantas, Lauda Air, Cathey Pacific...or anyone else that will have me.
Am I wise to learn Japanese? Or a European language? Im in Sydney, so if anyone can recommend a course or certain TAFE to enroll in I'd be greatful.
Thanks x

PAXboy
27th Oct 2001, 18:37
Hi,

The advice from Biscuit Chucker sounds very sensible.

One of the most wide spread languages is Spanish and is, I gather relatively easier than some others. It is also similar to Portugese and has somethings in common with Italian (I am told by a friend of mine who speaks them all!!)

Unfortunately, my second language is minority and shinking - Afrikaans!

Alles van dis beste en Totsiens
(Literally: Everything of the best and 'till seeing')

flapsforty
27th Oct 2001, 22:57
Cloud nine, excellent thinking on the use of your time!
Advice by BC and Paxboy good. Spanish is a very useful language in our business; large parts of the world population speak it exclusively. And the Latin Americans are always very appreciative when you speak their lingo, so it's a lot of fun on board. Also their literature is fascinating, and apart from the dreadful 3 :eek: past tenses they have, it's really not all that hard to learn compared to Japanese for example :D

And like BC says, speaking more than one language is GREAT fun, both on and off the ac!!

Good luck with your studies mate.

PS: Hey PaxBoy, always enjoy the Afrikaans when visiting your breathtakingly beautiful country. Words like Heisbakkie always good for a chuckle from us Cloggies. ;)