PDA

View Full Version : EC-155 cockpit

Nater
11th Nov 2007, 09:16
Hi guys, my name is Nate. I have been a lurker in this forum for a while now. I design 3d helicopters for Microsoft Flight Simulator. You all have provided endless amount of information for some of my projects. So a big THANK YOU! I wish I was a pilot, but unfortunately when I came back from Iraq I was diagnosed with epilepsy, so my chances of being a pilot are slim to none.
Anyway on to the main question at hand....
Right now I am working on a EC-155 for Flight Simulator and I need help in the cockpit area. I have a great view of the panel, collective, cyclic but nothing from the overhead console or engine controls. Can anyone help out in that area? I have searched high and low for pics, but have turned up empty. Here is a quick view of the outside....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/flwpheonix/fsss12317.jpg

purge98
11th Nov 2007, 09:30
Good show old boy

Nater
11th Nov 2007, 09:42
Thanks.:O I saw the picture of G-WJCJ on here and wanted loved it! That paint scheme reminds me a lot of the Miami Dolphin's owners EC-155.

212man
11th Nov 2007, 12:02
Nater, if you send me a PM with your e-mail, I'll send some extracts from the groundschool training manual. Look forward to the finished product. If you want any guidance or mor info, feel free to ask. I've got FMS info too, if you plan to incorporate that.

Nater
11th Nov 2007, 12:14
pm sent.... Thanks you so much!:D

DrSJM
12th Nov 2007, 21:32
Well done, but please accept these comments in the spirit in which they are meant. Using the colour scheme of an actual airframe is not a problem, but identifying it with a registration could raise potential difficulties and issues that would be better avoided. Surely there is no need to attach this identification mark, and maybe the model could be de-identified - in accordance with a longheld and valued principle within aviation.

MSP Aviation
12th Nov 2007, 22:01
95% or better of aircraft and repaints available for MS Flight Simulator are non-fictional and use the correct registration numbers.

Nater
13th Nov 2007, 05:51
Hey there MSP!

Yes, MSP is correct. There are a lot of non-fictional aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator that have correct registrations. I honestly do not see where the problem would be.

DrSJM
13th Nov 2007, 06:39
There is a problem! We operate this aircraft on behalf of its owner, and we would appreciate it if you could do us a favour on this one - just remove the registration please! I don't think we are really asking for a lot on this.

helimutt
13th Nov 2007, 07:07
DrSJM, Can you please explain where the problem is here? What about all of the people who are avid flightsimmers who see partcular a/c about and then get the chance to associate their game with the real thing? I think you're being a bit petty actually. personally, i'd be happy if my a/c was copied. unfortunately all I can afford is a simulated a/c. :E
I can't believe there would be copyright laws about this. Especially when you can change your a/c reg to anything you want in flight sim.

:hmm:

Nater
13th Nov 2007, 07:44
Exactly. What about all the American Airlines, BA, Lufthansa, United etc. There are hundreds of airliners that have exact registrations. But if you wish, I will not release the paint scheme when I release the aircraft for the public. (But I am willing to bet my paycheck that someone will do the paint scheme with registration after)

FloaterNorthWest
13th Nov 2007, 07:53
I agree with DrSJM, it would be better to have the registration removed.
Most pilots like to have the machines they fly recognised but we can't usually afford the larger models. The problem is the owners. Generally they dont like having their machines publishised and can be quite unreasonable in their demands.

So if DrSJM asks politely if the registration can be removed, I don't think it is too much to ask to respect his wishes. it may mean he keeps the management contract.

This may seem unreasonable to some but you have to see how these people operate to believe it.

FNW

212man
13th Nov 2007, 07:54
just remove the registration please!

I don't imagine BA etc are as publicity shy as Russian Oligarchs! (or whoever owns this particular one...)

helimutt
13th Nov 2007, 08:11
OOPS! Forgot about the Russkies. Perhaps they are afraid someone will fly the sim a/c into the ground 1 mile short of the runway at Bournemouth??

Am I in a bad mood this morning or something?:E

Nater, Just put whatever reg on it you want. It's a bloody game and to hell with real life!! LMAO:ok:

DrSJM
13th Nov 2007, 08:32
If the registration is so immaterial, then by the same argument surely removing it is immaterial - if it makes life a bit easier for other people. We are not insisting on it, we are not wishing to imply that anything incorrect has been done - just asking a favour. It's great work, the colour scheme looks good, etc. but managing aviation can sometimes have all manner of complications, too involved to try and explain. The request is SIMPLY, in the spirit of friendly cooperation amongts aviation minded people - DO US A FAVOUR. Who the owner is does not come into this, it's just a little manner of common courtesy.Whether somebody can apply whatever registration they like afterwards is another matter. I'll just reiterate, if it doesn't matter to you, please accept that it matters to us a LITTLE bit, and we would be eternally grateful if you just didn't publish the model with that registration on it.

Very genuinely, my thanks - and don't let this get out of proportion.

helimutt
13th Nov 2007, 09:03
Had my coffe now. After reading that last post by the good Doctor, (very polite post by the way) hey Nater, how about changing the reg to another one? G-HELI

Have a nice day!

Nater
13th Nov 2007, 09:36
Guys, don't get me wrong. I have no problem changing the registration and/ or color scheme to something else. I just liked the picture I saw and decided to apply it to my model. I most likely will not release the scheme to the general public anyways.

edit....after a quick google search, I most definately NOT release the aircraft scheme even with or without registration....Nothing more needs to be said about the matter.

helimutt
13th Nov 2007, 09:45
say no more.

Nater
13th Nov 2007, 09:48
No, it is not that I am scared....Trust me after 6 years in the U.S. Army and 3 tours in combat areas, there is not a whole lot left for me to be scared of. I will put it like this....I fully understand where the good Dr. is coming from.

JimB
13th Nov 2007, 09:49
May I add another angle to this conversation.

Following the unfortunate events of G-BLUN at the end of 2007, I heard that within the MS flight sim development communitee there is a group that develop oil rigs (the Offshore Development Group, ODG) and repaint the associated companies helicopters. I requested the registration G-BLUN be added to CHC Dauphin paint schemes of which I proudly fly in the sim.

I would hope that CHC would be proud that the spirit of G-BLUN lives on in one form or another.

Helimutt, I respect your position in the aviation industry whatever position that may be but technically the sim is not a game as no one can win. I will add that I have met many real world pilots who use it to hone different skills therefore some may say some aspects of teh sim can be similar to real life.

As far as the original direction of the post goes, I can see both sides therefore I hope my post does not infer that I sit on one side of the fence or the other.

Best of luck Nater with your model, I hope to fly her one day (virtually of course) no matter what the registration is.

Regards

JimB

helimutt
13th Nov 2007, 09:52
My apologies. Not a game, a form of electronic entertainment then?
It's a bit like saying DOOM was a game for the PC. You could win or lose but mainly maim/kill etc. Is that a game?
A topic for another forum I think.

Good that CHC's G-BLUN lives on. A company close to home!;)

Nater
13th Nov 2007, 09:55
Thanks Jim. I appreciate it. I believe one of the people that I am working with on this project is planing a CHC scheme. There are 4 of us. I am doing the models/texture mapping, one of my friends is doing the panel. 212man, I forwarded some of the stuff to him so that the panels are a little more correct. Another of my friends is programing the Flight Dyanamics, and the last is doing the painting.

MPR
13th Nov 2007, 11:28
It's a simulator, i.e. it is supposed to replicate real life.

"A flight simulator is a system that tries to replicate, or simulate, the experience of flying an aircraft as closely and realistically as possible"

In this instance someone has chosen to replicate a UK registered EC.155, the details of which are in the public domain. Just follow the link to the UK CAA G-INFO website (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=G-WJCJ), photo's exist of this aircraft & are readily available, yet again in the public domain here - link (http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-WJCJ&imgname=G-WJCJ001&imgtype=jpg)

If the owners are that precious about their identity, which as it is registered to Starspeed Ltd. & listed ownership is "Chartered" we have to assume they are hyper sensitive people, some of us are probably asking a question & probably thinking of giving some advice.....

Question - why the :mad: would you put a crest on the tail? Not exactly the smartest thing to do if you don't want people to know who you are!?

Advice - if you're really that sensitive register it somewhere else, paint it black, only fly at night & make sure no-one photographs you when you step off the aircraft at Battersea Heliport.

PS - if you want to see more of the aircraft follow this link (http://www.starspeed.co.uk/front.asp?page=index&content=front) it appears on the operators website with all their pilots photographed.... standing in front of the EC.155 we can't talk about:ugh:

MSP Aviation
13th Nov 2007, 11:31
DrSJM,

I didn't realize that you were asking about this particular registration. I thought you were saying he should do NO realistic repaints. Misunderstanding.

Nater
16th Nov 2007, 08:34
Thought you guys would like to see an update.....
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8128/1picdw3.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7125/2pixrh9.jpg

tistisnot
16th Nov 2007, 21:14
Nater,

Wish I had your skills.

Two opportunities in the rotary world I would suggest - for the likes of Bristow, CHC and/or HeliSim / Flight Safety:

1. Preparatory pc based programme for self study of aircraft failures and their appropriate response as per Company ECL's prior to annual simulator sessions - thus maximizing time in sim for best benefit of crews.

2. Big need for oil company digital / cartooned passenger briefing dvd's as per modern airline concepts - instead of the mickey mouse amateur crap used at present! Would gain passengers attention more in concentrating on the desired points and not the errors of the video!

And safer to dream up a sexier ac registration than nick someone else's boring one!

212man
16th Nov 2007, 23:29
Nater,
very impressive. Some minor corrections:

You only show two autopilot 'OFF' captions on the PFD: there should be three

If the VOR 1 is on the RHS it will be in amber.

There is no 'BLEED AIR' caption on the CAD: it's shown by a butterfly valve symbol on the FLI

Looks exceelent though:ok:

ChopperFAN
16th Nov 2007, 23:43
This looks awesome Nater,

The Ec155 would look good in my virtual garage...hehe :8

What version FS do you make helicopters for? Ive had a go at FS modeling but i was useless, its a real skill and you do a great job...

If possible would you be able to link to where your helicopters are available?

The cockpit looks good, do you do the opening doors and dynamics with your models? Its sweet when you can open cabin doors, or baggage compartments, clamshell doors.

Do you know how it would be possible to make mods to helicopter skids? ie. I looked everywhere for a bell 427 model finaly found one but i would want a model with Large pop out skids on it

Sorry to ask you but you seem to know a bit bout it...

Thanks Simon

Nater
17th Nov 2007, 06:47
Thanks guys!:O

Yes, the doors and everything open. The only wall that I run into is that MS only allows a certain amount of animations for helicopters, unlike the fixed wing aircraft.

If you are into the simulation, you can find a lot of helicopters at www.hovercontrol.com

Nater
17th Nov 2007, 07:36
here is another exterior shot...No reg numbers or paint schemes....:\
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/flwpheonix/fsss12345.jpg
doors open
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/flwpheonix/fsss12348.jpg

markdale
17th Nov 2007, 14:28
Hi My First post on the lovelyPPRuNe Forum-I constantly watch but dont really feel qualified to post as I only fly(virtual) helis with Msoft FSX/FS9 so its really interesting to see a sim related post........

Love your Ec155 and am aware of some of your work from Hovercontrol etc....very impressed and cant wait to add it to my virtual hangar..

Best regards Mark

Nater
17th Nov 2007, 16:50
I know how you feel Mark, but I was at a point with this project that I figured I needed to pick at the experts brains... :D

markdale
18th Nov 2007, 09:35
Hi Again Nater,I have no doubts you will have no trouble finding the information you need from all these pro's-With any luck they will solve all your issues and the fs community will have another superb model to fly about in. sooner rather than later.....I would love to help more but dont know the answers ,Good Luck and best wishes...watching with anticipation..and eagerness.

Regards Mark

CapBar_Brazil
7th Dec 2008, 12:34
Hi guys...

Nater it's super... What a beauty...!!! :D

:ok:

206Fan
7th Dec 2008, 15:13
Don't know the status on nates 155 at the minute, haven't heard anything about it in a while!

Anyway, just thought id hijack the thread for the puma drivers and fans!:ok:

FSX AS332L2 gmax model (http://www.dirkfassbender.de/fsx_as332l2_gmax_model.html)

themib
30th Mar 2015, 23:45
Where is the downloaded model? I searching whit Google but I find only for X-Plane.... :(