PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice pleaseeeeeee!

Foxtrot Bravo
5th Jun 2001, 00:46
hi,

well my names Andrew, im 19 in september and would like to become an air steward. Im currently sitting my a levels which comprise of physics, french and spanish and have held down a weekend job in WHSmiths for 2 yrs now.Employed as a customer care advisor.Would like to know what chance i stand of being an air steward, what the pays like, perks and best company to work for etc.Cheers.

Bramble
5th Jun 2001, 01:45
Would love to help but don't know much about the UK airlines.
Go for it though,you will never get rich but its a great career.I'm in it for the long haul,if you excuse the bad pun.

euroboy
5th Jun 2001, 02:19
Hi Foxtrot Bravo

The best airline to work for is BA. Some may disagree but after 2 other companies they are the better of them. BA is recruiting for Eurofleet LHR and I believe EuroGatwick (best avoided) See their website for details, under inside BA recruitment section. All the major airlines in UK have websites with recruitment sections so have a look there. After BA there is British Midland International,British Midland commuter, Virgin, British European, GB airways, British Med, British Regional, Brymon, CityFlier, Easyjet, Ryanair, Go then you have the charter operators such as Britannia, Monarch, JMC, Excel airways, Air 2000 and Airtours. Also there are airlines such as FlightLine, Titan which do ad hoc charters and flights for other carriers. It all depends where you live and where you want to live. The airlines are always looking for customer service skills and you may find that you will have to boost this experience, so ground staff and other airport work may help.

You can always give the airlines a ring and get the info, given you a few airlines here. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 05 June 2001).]

euroboy
5th Jun 2001, 14:34
Try this web site for cabin crew only. Gives general info and is free. (unlike some) Answers a lot of your questions.

www.Aircabincrew.com (http://www.Aircabincrew.com)

Also tip here dont be tempted to do a 1 or x number of days course (as often advertised in Newspapers)on how to be crew-expensive and waste of time.

[This message has been edited by euroboy (edited 05 June 2001).]

700 Girt Bar
5th Jun 2001, 21:06
If you want to do longhaul go to BA. I flew with them for 9 years and had a brilliant time. Left them 3 years ago and now fly for easyjet - if you live near Luton apply to easyjet when you are 20, they are a brilliant company to work for. Good luck.

CaptainCool
6th Jun 2001, 21:45
HI Andrew,just to let you know B.A. dont recruit direct onto 777/747 for longhaul-you have to do a good few years with eurofleet(LHR B.A shorthaul).I fly for a franchise of B.A'S called British Mediterranean airways we fly to all of the middle east and c.i.s destinations-it's a small company and i know that we are recruiting for more crew as we are getting new aircraft and expanding our fleet early next year.check out our website which will give you more info:-
www.britishmediterranean.com (http://www.britishmediterranean.com)

Just one bit of advice is that the interviews can be quite hard and you find that your have to play with lego bricks and build things as part of group exercises!!,If you dont get in at the first airline or the second dont give up - but once your in your have a fab time.

regards to money the basic is usally around £7500.00-£9500.00 (depending on airline)then you will get an hourly rate of pay while your on duty and commission.

depending on airline again you might get:-
good travel perks(discounted holidays/flights etc)
private health care
pension scheme etc etc etc

good luck

CaptainCool.

MinimumRest
6th Jun 2001, 22:45
Check out www.airlinestaff.com (http://www.airlinestaff.com) and www.aviationjobsearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com) for current vacancies. I have worked for charter and sceduled airlines in the past from numerous UK airports - if you want any more info leave me your e-mail addy :)

Next Generation PSR
7th Jun 2001, 12:27
Andrew, try www.excelairways.com (http://www.excelairways.com) I think they maye have some late courses running soon, the number is on the website they fly the latest B737-800s plus wide-bodied B767-200s. good luck!

rubik
13th Jun 2001, 19:01
Hi Andrew!

Check out the Virgin Atlantic website. We're always recruiting and are a great airline to work for. We fly long haul routes to the USA, Canada, South Africa, India, Hong Kong & Japan.

Click on this link to do direct to the Cabin Crew Recruitment page.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/main.asp?page=1.1.1.1&id=286

Good luck!

ghengis can't
15th Jun 2001, 14:16
Would someone please be kind enough as to give a brief description of the CC interview process for BA and how best to prepare for the interview. I have a friend who has applied for a job. Thanks.

Tomb Raider
20th Jun 2001, 05:04
Andrew,
A small correction to what Captain Cool told you.BA do recruit directly onto longhaul(I am living proof,as are the 80 or so other people on my training course)
They recruit for whatever fleet crew are required at that time.There is no rule that you must do shorthaul first,before transferring.
Hope this helps.

ghengis can't
21st Jun 2001, 01:30
Euroboy

Why is EuroGatwick best avoided? Also can you shed any light on the procedures of interview day.

Thanks Gee Cee

euroboy
21st Jun 2001, 02:57
Sorry unable to shed light on interview day as I was taken on as a temp last year, and interview was one day.

EuroGatwick is a different contract to Eurofleet at LHR. Eurofleet have more days off in a month, allowances are paid as either Bfast, Lunch and Dinner while EuroGatwick paid by the hour for there allowances. Transfer between the two usually 5 years, but not automatic. EuroGatwick is all 737-400 ops. They work harder as well.
Its basically ex Dan air.
Crews are younger and they tend to have fun!

ghengis can't
21st Jun 2001, 21:08
Thanks Euroboy, can anyone shed any light on the interview process.

Balboy
22nd Jun 2001, 01:05
Heres a run down of the interview prosses...

After filling in a eligibillity questionaire and enjoying free coffee in the foyer, you will either go for a group discussion and group excercise or go for a two to one interview. Then vice a versa.

Make sure you know all about BA and prepare well for all the questions they will ask you. for instance, what culture is alien to you, examples of good customer service etc(see previous threads for info).

Great bunch of people.. however, didnt get the job.

No matter, good luck for the future.. its a great career choice.

ghengis can't
23rd Jun 2001, 06:37
Thanks Balboy I'll pass on the info

Gee Cee