PDA

View Full Version : IAA Student Pilots Licence with JAA/CAA Class 1 Medical?

bfsalphaone
10th Nov 2007, 21:01
I have a JAA Class One medical originally issued from Gatwick, and renewed this year by an AME in Northern Ireland. I have been doing most of my training here in N.Ireland, but recently have started some training in the Southern Ireland.

A requirement of the Irish Aviation Authority before a student can fly solo is a Student Pilots Licence. For this you need:

Application form
Copy of Medical Certificate
€70.00
As the UK and Ireland are both member states of the Joint Aviation Authority, my JAA Class 1 medical should be valid for the licence issue. But according to the IAA only an IAA issued medical will do.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Has it happened to you?
Is the IAA refusing a perfectly valid JAA document?

bfsalphaone

IRISHPILOT
10th Nov 2007, 22:15
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. Your state of medical issue must match the state of licence issue. for renewals, any JAA medical is fine. I believe the British do the same.
HOWEVER, no need to go to Mater and do a new one. - Call the aeromedical section, they issued me an Irish JAA class 1 for free on producing a different JAA medical. (Come to think of it, the other one wasn't even JAA.) - If they don't do that anymore, all you need is an Irish renewal, not an initial.

Hope that helps, IP.

mutt
11th Nov 2007, 09:21
Its a JAA rule that for your initial training, your medical must be from the country of issue of your licence.

Nothing to do with Hawkins House :):)

Mutt

bfsalphaone
12th Nov 2007, 00:00
thanks guys for the info

hopefully the IAA will play ball and not cause too many problems

bfsalphaone

bfsalphaone
13th Nov 2007, 16:51
hello

mutt or IRISHPILOT, with ref to your earlier replies.

do you have any specific references to any JAA documentation that for an inital licence that your state of medical issue must match the state of licence issue?

is the answer in this doc?
JAR–FCL 1 Flight Crew Licensing (Aeroplane)
http://www.jaat.eu/publications/jars/607069.pdf

i have been talking to the CAA and their viewpoint was that they would accept an IAA JAA medical for the issue of an inital CAA licence, as long as everything was JAR Approved

bfsalphaone

nnhy
31st Mar 2008, 11:06
might not be of relevance, i come from singapore, non-jaa state, wishes to do an initial JAA class 1 medical. can i do it Singapore as there is an aproved AME or do i have to go over to the JAA state to do it for the initial medical?

Thanks