PDA

View Full Version : Captain Arthur Whitlock RIP

Basil
15th May 2001, 15:35
I regret to report that Captain Arthur Whitlock has recently died.

Born in Madras in 1930, Arthur learnt to fly there in the 1940s and his career spanned Daks in India, BKS, Northeast and finally BA TriStars.
A notable cartoonist, artist (Royal Society of Marine Artists & Guild of Aviation Artists) and author, his drawings of aircraft, aviation characters and his specialty, leggy, busty young ladies, all appear in his book "Behind the Cockpit Door." (ISBN 0 86303 565-5)

One of the delightful characters of aviation, Arthur's death represents a loss to the profession and to those of us who will never again have the opportunity to have a beer and an amusing chat with him.

swashplate
15th May 2001, 16:25
Sad to hear another on of the 'greats' has moved on....

Never met Capt Whitlock, but I read his book a few years ago. Excellent read, BTW.

Loved the drawings (those as well!) but esp the cartoon with the crew busy doing unecessary paperwork while the Terrain appraoches....

Suppose you would'nt get away with gold smuggling, nowadays.............

.....or WOULD you..?? :) :)

[This message has been edited by swashplate (edited 15 May 2001).]

BusyB
15th May 2001, 18:04
I'm very sorry to hear this. My condolances to his family and friends. He was an extremely talented aviator and a most entertaining man to talk to.

Are any details of his funeral arrangements available?

Thomas Doubting
15th May 2001, 18:18
Another great character passes on. RIP Authur.

His book 'Behind the Cockpit Door' is a treasured possession. I recommend it to everyone who reads these pages who hasn't already read it.

Final 3 Greens
15th May 2001, 19:33
I wish I had met the man. I read his book and enjoyed it, my father read the stories that he drew cartoons for (Young Marvelman) and enjoyed those; Capt Whitlock also flew thousands of passengers for an amazing amount of miles, safely, in an era when air travel was not as assured as it is today.

A great loss.

skua
15th May 2001, 20:19
A great man. The book is a fantastic read. I believe he was also a member of the Guild of Aviation Artists.

RIP

cojones
15th May 2001, 20:23
Sad news indeed. To everyone who had the privelege to know the man, and evidently to many who did not, the aviation world has lost a treasured friend. A delight to know, a gentleman with whom to share the flight deck, one of God's REAL gifts to aviation. His charming demeanour gave confidence to anyone who flew with him. In delegating a sector, he would do so by asking the first officer in question, in that wonderful lilt he had, "So, are you going to give us a bit of a demo to-day, then, John, are you?"
He's probably up there now where he belongs, cursing people who write nice things about him!
R.I.P. Arthur.

Basil
15th May 2001, 21:19
Busy B,
Arthur died about a month ago. I just heard the news from a mutual friend on my last trip.

BusyB
15th May 2001, 22:55
Basil, Thanks for the info, I shall pass on the sad news to a number of colleagues who knew him well.

kala87
17th May 2001, 13:15
I am very sorry to hear that Arthur Whitlock has passed away. Although I never met him, I spoke to him on the phone a few months ago about his flying days in India. In fact, last time I was in India I gave a copy of his book to Indian friends who remembered flying in the Daks flown by Arthur and some of his eccentric fellow aviators between Calcutta and the tea estates in the early 1950's. I often picked up his wonderful book to re-read a chapter of how things were done in the old days. Wish I had taken the trouble to meet him over a few beers....RIP Arthur.

Teroc
17th May 2001, 18:11
What a sad loss. Agree with all the comments about his book, a fabulous read.

CredeSigno
20th May 2001, 21:43
Sad news indeed. Again, I never met Arthur Whitlock but have read his book many times over and recommended it to many friends.

RIP Arthur, your book is an inspiration to many.

DC3 to B747
21st May 2001, 01:56
I've lost count of how many times I've re-read Behind the Cockpit Door. It has pride of place on my bookshelf right next to Ernie Gann.
I would like to imagine Captain Whitlock like some Forsyth Shepherd, whispering over the shoulders of pilots desert bound.
He lamented that his last Airline 'beat-up' was in a Trident down in the Med. I'd like to think he's already taken some ethereal DC3 down to the wave-tops. If I strain my ears maybe that's the sound of 1830's, way off in the distance? If I close my eyes, I imagine him in the left seat smiling, holding the yoke forward against nose-up trim as the unsuspecting fishermen in their boat get ever closer in his windshield.
I wish I had met him but feel as if I have known him.
Keep us out of our deserts Arthur!

Rest In Flight

Stimul8her
21st May 2001, 12:04
I picked up a copy of Behind the cockpit door "ONLY" because the author was born in Madras (now called Chennai), my home town. As I read through it, I was really amazed by the simple language and descriptions and caricatures, that I just found it so hard to put down.

I just wanted to pass on my condolences from Capt. Whitlock's birthplace to all those who were near and dear to him.

May his soul rest in peace.

Airways Ed
21st May 2001, 21:43
This is posted on behalf on a friend and colleague who could not access PPRuNe:

"I was saddened to learn that Arthur Whitlock's pen and pencil are now still, for he was a unique link with aviation as it used to be in the hard days when we flew Daks, Bristol Frighteners and Ambassadors.
Guy Clapshaw, Auckland, New Zealand."

behind_the_second_midland
21st May 2001, 21:50
I too as an ex DC3 man have read "behind" many times and it sits next to my Gann books. RIP.

DC3 ex AA at Bag?

squeaker
21st May 2001, 22:04
Like many others here, I never met Arthur, but I have a copy of his book too and would recommend it to everyone. He came across as a real "Total Aviation Person" and I'm sure he'll be sadly missed by anyone who knew him.
I seem to recall seeing him in the BALPA mag a couple of years ago, something to do with a record for the longest interval between flights in the same aircraft (60odd years?), which I believe was a Tiger Moth? Perhaps someone better informed could expand for me.
RIP Capt Whitlock

DC3 to B747
23rd May 2001, 06:22
Behind
No Sir, 2500HRS with Rhoades back in '92. Their 3's are still going strong. While there I had the opportunity to fly the DC3TP; now Arthur would have loved that!!!!!
Climb at Vne, cruise at Vne, descend at Vne and reverse thrust on landing!

DC3 to B747
30th May 2001, 07:13
Anyone know where in the US to get the book?

Airways Ed
30th May 2001, 19:10
DC3 to B747

Airways have (or had) one left in stock. Email me if you need 800 number or website address.

TwoDeadDogs
31st May 2001, 00:23
Hi there
I've just finished the book for the third time and every read is as charming and enjoyable as ever.His drawings are perfect and his storytelling a delight.Apart from anything else,he has left an enduring legacy of real aviators and aviation.
RIP
regards
TDD

N2000
31st May 2001, 13:55
"DC3 to B747", these are the publishers details etc from my copy of the book (signed by Arthur himself in December 1991 !!):

Behind the Cockpit Door: an Airline Pilot's Illustrated Story

Whitlock, Arthur

ISBN 0-86303-565-5

Published by Merlin Books Ltd, Braunton, Devon, England

I have found one entry for a Merlin Books, www.merlinbooks.com, (http://www.merlinbooks.com,) phone/fax 01403 257626
int: +44 1403 257626

Good luck