PDA

View Full Version : Passenger kicked out of seat for ANC official

PAXboy
9th Nov 2007, 11:30
Reported on IOL today, following a story in Beeld:

SA Express was on Friday battling to explain the circumstances surrounding a double booking which led to a passenger being led off a plane to make way for a prominent ANC official.

Beeld reported that a passenger, Sharmalee Maistry, was seated and the craft's door had closed, when she was told to leave the plane and retrieve her luggage from the hold as her seat had been double booked.

The story continues:
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=nw20071109120839499C739993

I just found this item from SAPA:

However, it [SAX] could not explain why Maistry, who was already seated on the plane while Ngonyama reportedly waited in a vehicle on the runway, was asked to leave. The company said it is concerned that the matter has been politicised.

Ngonyama told Beeld that he had booked his seat on the internet and when told that it had been taken by a woman who arrived at the airport before him, he asked that this be rectified. He did not abuse his position, and felt that he was not wrong, he told the newspaper. -- Sapa

Avi8tor
9th Nov 2007, 12:04
Just remember possums, "all animals are equal, just some more equal than others."

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Nov 2007, 13:18
Can't fault the Xhosa Nostra when it comes to throwing their weight about and looking after themselves. Abuse of position indeed...

As I recall, there is a proviso on the website that seats booked online are not guaranteed. Be interesting to see how they explain this one away.:yuk:

nugpot
9th Nov 2007, 14:25
I am still trying to find out what happened, but let me just say that SAX has no ground personnel in DUR. All check-in, boarding and pax handling done by SAA.

The Captain would also have no idea what had happened. He would just be informed that the wrong pax had boarded and SAA will arrive to offload the pax in question.

porridge
9th Nov 2007, 16:17
"Just remember possums, "all animals are equal, just some more equal than others."
And in the case it is more that it is the right of the King of the Jungle!
ingoynyama = lion!

rockpecker
9th Nov 2007, 20:25
What?? Ngonyama flying commercially? Hell no. What happened to the incumbent leadership's private brooms? Trevor tightening the belt? Or the vomit not cleaned up from the BBJ's floor after the last inflight orgy?
True, true, George Orwell was right again, all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Amandla! At least this time the pilots are not to blame.

maxrated
10th Nov 2007, 13:59
I dont find anything unusual about this scenario, back in the late eighties , on a SAA flight, I was asked to move my seat, (pre booked emer exit seat) because 3 "peoples from the gufferment" (read National Party Lacky's) needed these seats, needless to say I refused to move explaining that as I being a tax paying citizen of the republic, and them being mere civil servants, the hierachial dynamic worked in my favour.

I received filthy looks from the gentlemen concerned as well as the cabin senior for the duration of the flight.

ERASER
11th Nov 2007, 06:40
maxrated, it is not uncommon for cabin crew on some flights to ask “single” pax if they would move to accommodate a group of pax enabling them to fly together. It is however your prerogative to say “yes” or “no”………totally stuff their dirty looks…..
The humiliation to be told to get off an a/c because you’re on the wrong flight……but in actual fact you are on the correct flight but "somebody" (Read ANC heavy weight) is abusing his or her power to have you removed from the flight because they can't wait for the next flight………..but hey, as they say in the song…..”we all live in a yellow banana republic ……………….sorry, submarine”

E

Goffel
11th Nov 2007, 10:22
SAX have definitely stuffed this one up.

Just check who they threw off and then go to the CAA phone list....ja boet...:mad:......hate to be around at the next audit.......(always make sure which relation you are throwing off).

Certainly not implying anything....But??????????????????????????...:}

Goffel...waiting for the next round.

Cirrus SR22
11th Nov 2007, 15:10
The best advice I can give to SAX right now is for them to poach Airports Company SA (ACSA) spokespersons Deidre Hendricks and Solomon Makgale immediately to avert this looming public relations nightmare. :ok: