PDA

View Full Version : Any UK airfield without GA maintenance

toolboxstickers
8th Nov 2007, 22:43
I am thinking of starting my own light aircraft maintenance business and wondered if anyone knows of a good place to set up eg. an airfield without such a business at present, or a place which is for sale or which might be soon. Thanks.

ericferret
9th Nov 2007, 02:46
From time to time people advertise for someone to do this in Pilot or Flyer

Phone 01244 325730 for Lleweni parc airfield who are looking for someone such as you!!!!!!!!!! To set up their own business.

Nov/Dec issue of GO Flying

old,not bold
9th Nov 2007, 09:34
A small piece of gratuitous advice, ingore at will!

If there's no maintenance company at an airfield there's probably a reason, such as not enough business to sustain one. Perhaps one started and failed in the past..beware.

Your market is based owners to a small extent, drop-in visitors to an even smaller extent, and business you can suck in from the UK to a much larger extent.

Consider the opportunities offered from up-coming legislation, CAMO etc. The GA maintenance industry is, as a generalisation, so luddite and conservative that anyone with imagination and flair can steal business from under the noses of the established maintenance companies while they delude themselves that nothing has changed.

Being honest, really honest, with owners is a good start. Minimising costs instead of maximising them; not doing unnecessary work or replacing components that don't need it. Sticking to your estimates would set you apart (That means getting them right, of course. It's not impossible). I'm not an engineer but I have run an M3 business in the fairly recent past. All these things worked, although the engineers in the company thought that it was the end of the world to tell an owner what the work would cost before doing it, rather than afterwards.

I'm out of that now....so Good Luck. And...don't worry too much about being on the same airport as another company. Just take their business away from them. Go for it aggressively; beat them on price, quality, service and marketing. Forget about a big car and a fat salary for a while. And remember that they are there because their customers are based there, or like going there, in sufficient quantities to make the business pay.

Above all, do quality work at fair prices, and fulfil your promises.

camlobe
9th Nov 2007, 14:05
toolboxstickers,

If you have the desire to start your own maintenance facility (that means no freelancing from the boot of your car), then let me be the first to wish you well on your venture.

I made the same decision three and a half years ago. Nothing to Part 145 made easy by VERY helpful CAA local regional office. They will bend over backwards to help someone start, especially if you have integrety and motivation. After all, it is more income for their coffers, and, far more seriously, it helps keep them employed.

Don't worry about spending money advertising. Word of mouth is good enough. After all, it is a very small world. There are enough aircraft out there to keep you busy. I more than trebeled my customer base inside 18 months (started with 6 singles, now have three corporate twins and a Citation as well as a couple of private twins and a lot of singles. One of the corporate twins is foriegn registered and operated).

And, just as importantly, don't let any negative posts put you off. There are more changes coming, but they will affect everyone equally.

Good luck and the best of British to you.

Feel free to PM me.

camlobe

CONSPICUITY
9th Nov 2007, 14:58
Could Try Cardiff Airport No Light Aircraft Maintenance There At Present Also A Couple Of Small Hangers Which Are Ideal And Empty

spernkey
10th Nov 2007, 14:59
toolbox - check your pm's

madlandrover
12th Nov 2007, 18:08
Also worth trying Inverness - there's a flourishing PPL level school there as well as a decent selection of private aircraft. The catch is finding hangar space, which is in extremely high demand right now.

TCAS FAN
12th Nov 2007, 18:35
Try Swansea, Airport Manager's name is David Marshall (01792 204063)

will5023
1st Dec 2007, 18:26
M3 approved maintenance facility at private airstrip East Sussex,with fuel supply, to lease available. Call Robert for details during offfice hrs 01424 870899

JBaerospace
12th Dec 2007, 22:52
Or if you want a challenge in the GA field, you may think of a career as an Insurance Surveyor in the GA business if you have flair for interesting things. I hear Airclaims.com has a vacancy based at their LHR office.