PDA

View Full Version : TSA destroying passengers property

fendant
8th Nov 2007, 22:18
Flew last week CLT - MUC -ZRH on LH and checked in 2 Rimova baggage. One was my trusted code locked cabin trolley ( > 1 Mio Fly and about 50 airport miles in 5 years ), which contained only books and papers and definitely had more than 8 kg's ( I know the rules for overhead storage weight limits). Both pieces were clearly tagged with the red LH leather tags.

Arriving at final destination I detected that the cabin trolley was heavily duct taped. Picked it up from the belt thinking, that I did not close it properly in the US and thanking the thoughtful LH staff who took care of it. The other Rimova arrived in the condition I had checked it in.
At home I cut off the duct tape und found out that one lock was indeed damaged. Inside the trolley I found a piece of paper from the TSA informing me that they had searched my luggage.

I then took ot to luggage repair, who estimated 100 - 150 $ for the reapir of both locks ( it will take about 4 weeks). There I was advised that the trolley had been brutally opened with a big screw driver or crowbar, by destroying the locks. Guy at repair said that this happens only US airports.

Talked to Swiss staff at destination, who said that a) I should have complained directly at the airport, after picking up the luggage. However b) they would not pick up the tab for damage done by TSA rambos.

Is the TSA now randomly destroying passenger property? Is the apparent unefficiency during sec checks and the Gestapo inquisition at "Immigration" not enough? If you do not close your bags they will especially going through ORD, JFK and MIA loose weight:rolleyes:.

Frank

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Nov 2007, 05:17
You should have not have locked your baggage as per instructions when flying in or from the USA and they do point out that they will forcibly open the locked bag and leave a note inside as they did.
You can buy TSA locks and straps to lock your bags as l have done, these locks can be opened by the TSA and l guess any thief working in the baggage system at the airport.
Sorry to say this is the problem of flying to, or in the USA now, which is why so many in the USA only use carry on, which in my opinion is a bigger hazard, in that you have heavy missiles flying out of the lockers when you have an accident/crash.:mad:

onboard
9th Nov 2007, 08:54
My Rimowa already has the TSA locks, as it is a relatively new one.
Doesn´t save you from having to open them though.
I´m Cabin Crew, we always have to stand next to the x-ray machine until the TSA are done with our baggage. I thought I was o.k. having those locks, until the TSA guy asked me for the combination, as the master key had been "put away for the day". At 5pm obviously the day is over for them. He then managed to change the combination, which made for half an hour of fun when I finally came home.
But I will say that I´m thankful for him asking, and not breaking them on the spot, which has also happened on previous occasions.

Eboy
10th Nov 2007, 09:30
Good comments above. I am sorry about the damage to your luggage. For me, always flying within, or from-and-to, the US, I have stopped locking luggage. Non-TSA locks will be removed with force. Regarding the TSA locks, it is my understanding that dishonest baggage handlers have copies of the TSA master keys, so the TSA locks do not offer much additional security. I have read of instances of the TSA cutting off the TSA lock because a master key was not available. Some will say the TSA locks are better than nothing, and a crook will move on to a non-locked bag. On the other hand, a locked bag is an indication there may be something valuable inside. So far, no one has stolen my toothbrush and old socks.

fendant
11th Nov 2007, 20:23
Thanks all for your comments. What drives me mad, is that these TSA rambos only need to switch their brains on while at work.
Every piece of luggage has a tag with name and flight number.
Assuming that reading skills are a requisite for getting a TSA security job ( maybe I am raising the bar too high ) they could call for the Pax at the gate or through the airport PA system. I am sure that I would happily provide authorities with the code for the locks.

Yes, I am sure it is easier to use a crowbar!

Calling the PAX is by the way how the handle it in DRS for example.

IMHO there are 2 main reasons for locking the bag: a) preventing from things disapearing and b) preventing things being put additionally into your bag. Knowing that the keys for fabulous super security TSA ( the sh...tty agency) locks are already in the hands of thieves forces me to look for older Rimova or Samsonites. It seems that the TSA lock is another stupid invention of the current US admin.

Frank

PAXboy
11th Nov 2007, 22:24
TSA rambos only need to switch their brains on
Ahh, there is just one teeny-tiny problem there ... :(

ZFT
12th Nov 2007, 01:51
IMHO there are 2 main reasons for locking the bag: a) preventing from things disapearing and b) preventing things being put additionally into your bag. Knowing that the keys for fabulous super security TSA ( the sh...tty agency) locks are already in the hands of thieves forces me to look for older Rimova or Samsonites. It seems that the TSA lock is another stupid invention of the current US admin.

and this is the BIG issue. Anyone flying into S E Asia really should take heed of this. If I have the slightest suspicion that my bag has been opened, I check it before customs. I'd rather get those odd looks around the carousel than endeavour to explain away something that shouldn't be there.

Al Fakhem
12th Nov 2007, 09:56
Quote:
TSA rambos only need to switch their brains on.

Fact is, they have no brains. At least this is the conclusion I have to draw when I see their inability to properly repack a piece of baggage they have stuck their noses into. And I do not mean "repack" as in neatly arranging all contents as they were - I mean "repack" as in making sure no objects are protruding from between the top and bottom shell and thus subject to dirt, water and damage.:yuk:

Standard Noise
14th Nov 2007, 14:50
We were in Florida last year and despite the warnings at the airport about not locking your bags, we did. 3 locks on each bag (1 per lockable compartment). When we got our bags from reclaim, only one lock was gone but no damage was done to the bag.
Yesterday morning, we arrived at LHR from Newark and none of the locks on either of our two bags had been touched. Must be pot luck.

My only problem with it is that these TSA locks aren't available (or are they?) anywhere other than the States, so unless you spend time and
money hunting them out, you've got no choice but to use your own.

Carry0nLuggage
14th Nov 2007, 20:53
I used to have a TSA lock, from Millets of all places, until last year. It got cropped off somewhere between LHR and BLR and I've not bothered to replace it since they are too easy to destroy in themselves. If they were tougher the bag is going to get wrecked instead. Nothing valuable of mine ever travels in the checked luggage. Useful, replaceable but never valuable. If I felt the need to seal the bag in some way I'd use zip ties.