PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Low Cost Carrier

Ditch
30th Aug 2001, 11:09
Qantas today announced details for their new Qantas low cost airline. The airline will be a wholly owned subsidiary called Australian Airlines. Qantas has said that staff will be based within Australia as long as labor costs are not too expensive, and will be employed by Australian Airlines and work under Australian Airlines conditions.

The new airline will operate initially into Asia from several Australian cities, and to other cities that Qantas has pulled out of, or plans to pull out of. These are yet to be announced for competitive reasons.

Australian airlines will be up and running by the second half of 2002. Qantas is currently sourcing a management team.

Very interesting :)

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: Ditch ]

smile
31st Aug 2001, 12:53
does anyone have any gossip on recriuting for the cabin crew. (maybe Evacu8???)or what the employment conditions will be e.g.pay, contract or permanant??

Evacu8
31st Aug 2001, 14:52
Theyre keeping very quiet about it at the moment....but sounds like we are going to pull out of quite a few destinations, and they will take them over !

Great to see the name 'Australian Airlines' back in the skies.... I hope its as good as the old one ;)

If I hear anything about recruitment/ conditions etc, will let you all know :)

Sounds like there could be quite a few jobs, if they are Australian based crew, there will be at least 130 jobs going - plus if they are full-time possies, as they are wholly owned by us, there should be transfers into Qantas.

But I have already heard that the majority will be o/seas based crew.

Hope it isnt true! - 'cos based on the destinations theyre talking about , I think I'd like to fly for them !!!! :cool:

capt cynical
31st Aug 2001, 16:49
:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:
BEWARE!!!!!!!
This IS the "THIN" edge of the wedge into our current conditions.
Once this so called LOW COST airline is up and running it will gradually eat up more of the current routes until there is the bare shell of QANTAS left. Hello LHR LAX and that will be about all folks.

:(

Evacu8
1st Sep 2001, 10:21
Capt cynical,

without sounding too cynical myself ;) I dont really care where QF mainline flies to.... as long as I stay on the same wages and conditions, I'm happy..... all destinations are the same after youve been there a few times !!

Biscuit chucker, havent heard that one, but I doubt it.... if they are on a six month waiting list, the new airline isnt sposed to open till July 2002, so they wouldnt start training till May/ June 2002....but stranger things have happened. I was on a '12 month waiting list' for 19 months before I was hired !!! ;)

[ 01 September 2001: Message edited by: Evacu8 ]

smile
1st Sep 2001, 14:13
Thanks Evacu8 for getting back to this so quickly. I am really eager to work for QF so knowing that they will have another airline and more opportunities is great news. Heres hoping I don't 'luck out' after my third interview again. (Knock on wood) :D

Ditch
2nd Sep 2001, 07:37
Have heard further "rumour" regarding this new airline. Apparently Qantas hopes to have similar arrangements with "Australian" as they currently do with National Jet Systems and Impulse. ie...Staff are employed by that company and that company is contracted to do the work for Qantas, adopting the same livery,cabin service etc.. Those companies, particularly NJS appear to be good to work for. Yes the wages are lower than Qantas mainline, but the staff love it, so it could be a good thing.

With a different name, and a completely different livery, its most likely on the cards. However Qantas "own" this one, not just the name, so who knows. :)

QTSOA
4th Sep 2001, 11:17
I've heard that Qantas is unlikely to employ new staff for the sole purpose of filling positions in the new discount airline, and rather use staff that are already employed. I've also heard that they intend to use their 30 year old 747SP aircraft to begin with. This is what i've heard, and if anyone can verify this i would be interested to know.

Wirraway
4th Sep 2001, 19:21
QTOSO
The aircraft look like being 4 767s to start,
Australian Airlines is also considering
Brisbane as base, it is true people employed
would be similar to the way Impulse recruited their staff, as far as F/As go
it is anyones guess if they will be local
or from overseas.

DoorL1
5th Sep 2001, 14:49
Are we now seeing the start of "B scale" in the cabin??? If so, there will be no transfering between QF mainline and Australian Airlines. Sounds like they will be totally different identities with cheap labour. Do I see a blue tail in the distance?

Ditch
5th Sep 2001, 16:52
Blue tail, white Kangaroo