PDA

View Full Version : omeopatic, does it work?

dartagnan
8th Nov 2007, 19:54
what guys do you think of omeopatic medizin (placebo).

I have seen "medizin" against airsickness...
I recently got a box of anti-flu and after reading that the formula is only water & milk & sugar , I wonder if it really work?

QDMQDMQDM
8th Nov 2007, 20:12
omeopatic, does it work?

No, it doesn't work.

gingernut
9th Nov 2007, 07:59
Do you mean "homeopathic?"

Mac the Knife
10th Nov 2007, 16:09
It makes quite a lot of people feel a bit better quite a lot of the time - especially if you're a believer.

Whether it it really actually does anything else is, to put it mildly, highly debatable - the homeopaths have been unable to produce any evidence that stands up to scrutiny.

But it won't do you any harm....unless it dissuades you from seeking real medical advice when faced with significant symptoms.

Loose rivets
10th Nov 2007, 21:53
I would have thought that when a placebo is given, it can't work if the subject knows.

Clinical studies use placebos as a 'control', but adjustments have to be made for the average group -- to compensate for various factors that the dummy drug causes.

gingernut
11th Nov 2007, 09:00
I seem to remeber that a recent "House of Lords" paper concluded that alternative medicines can be categorised into 4 groups,

Those that we know work.
Those that we don't know whether they work or not.
Those that we know don't work.
Those that we know do harm.

I seem to think that homeopathy sit's in the 3rd of 4th category. (Although I'd be happy to stand corrected.)

You could argue that traditional medicine/surgery doesn't always sit in the 1st category, although hopefully, we're constantly striving to change that:)

gingernut
11th Nov 2007, 09:05
Oh shucks, I think Mac may have been correct...

While the practice of homeopathy may itself be free from risk, it does create an opportunity for diverting conventional diagnosis and treatment away from patients with conditions where conventional treatment is well-established, as some patients seem to see it as offering a complete alternative to conventional medicine. (House of Lords 2000).

Don't you just hate it when that happens:)