PDA

View Full Version : A hypothetical question...

WillDAQ
8th Nov 2007, 19:36
I wonder if you guys can help me with a question i've been pondering a bit recently.

I came across this site http://www.gozerog.com/ a while back, on which they mention that they've made various modifications to a 727 to use for parabolic trajectory flights.

Now at first I didn't see why modifications would be needed as it's within the flight envelope of the aircraft, but thinking about it more (and doing some research) it seems related to things like engine oil which aren't designed to operate in extended low gravity conditions.. as well as the 1.8g pull out causing fatigue issues. All that said, i'm surprised there aren't more companies offering this sort of flight.

Am I missing some huge technical issue that complicates the issue, or is it a paperwork issue relating to getting a Supplementary Type Cert or similar?

And why a 727?

Cheers

Will

Rigga
9th Nov 2007, 18:49
I don't think the technical issues were the problem - more likely it was the certification issues for getting it approved by some authority - and the costs therein!
Can't have been cheap or, as you say , everyone would be doing them.

TechCons
10th Nov 2007, 12:30
The European Space Agencey has an old A300 down in Bordeaux that they use for parabloic flights & weightlesness training of astronauts. This aircraft has split control systems, whereby they seperate the ailerons and elevators for parbolic flight, one pilot operating each control respectively. The captain contorls pitch and the F/O has control of the ailerons. Once normal flight is resumed, the controls can be 'locked' back together again.

One of the issues with parabolic flying and sustained low / negative 'g' is the engine oil system. Many of the mainline bearings have very critical spray patterns and flow paths for the oil, and this can be severly disrupted under prolonged low / negative 'g' scenarios therby depriving the bearings of oil.

WillDAQ
10th Nov 2007, 21:23
Hmmm... replumming the hydraulic systems and accelerated wear on engine bearings, I smell ££££!

I see now why zero-g patented the modifications they made after certifying them, close the door to anyone else looking to enter the field the easy way.

Cheers
Will