PDA

View Full Version : What has it come to in QF

empire4
8th Nov 2007, 08:17
Today i was driving to work and thought to myself, "what the hell are you doing". I have been in aviation a short 8 years and have 2 full mech licences and work in avalon. I have studied hard to get what i have, and i think alot of more expierienced guys deserve more than me.
At level 4 LAME pay scale these people earn more BASE RATE of pay; All planners in the hangar i work in, the facilitators, the continuous improvement team, the new QA staff and most of the OHS safety people. This really bothers me. Does it bother you? These people have no comparison of responsibility to that of a LAME.
I get paid for being at work at 1am, on sundays etc. This is what i thought shift penalties were about. Why do i keep hearing from the company that average LAME wage is 120K. Take away the massive overtime hours, take away the Shift PENALTIES and what is left over.
55K-60K is what is there. we have the power, why is nothine being done. what are your thoughts??

BBJ flying spanner
18th Nov 2007, 10:58
It took me only twenty years to wake up that working 70-80 hours a week paying 75k in tax a year wasnt for me. Over the twenty years the big red rat would have spent 200k on training for myself and similar rated colleagues. If it paid a reasonable salary then there wouldnt be the mass exodus that has and is ocurring(look what the mining industry is payng for unskilled laour).Thank you QF for pushing me out the door and allowing me to broaden my horizons.
B777,B744,B747,B767,B737 and NG,BBJ,Gulfstream G4 ratings are helping me to maintain a comfortable life after QF:D
Goodluck with your decisions but be patient all is not great outside the red gates.

Blacksheep
19th Nov 2007, 00:07
Speaking as a Line Maintenance customer, Australian Labour Rates are very expensive - among the highest in the world. From what you say above, the salaries aren't anything special, therefore the QF overheads must be staggeringly high. I'd say 'walking' was probably your best option. I'd be delighted to put our business with a more efficient service provider and I know for certain there are a few that are currently looking for Mechanical (B1) and Avionics (B2) certifiers.