PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes

headdown
24th May 2001, 05:43
Should an insulin dependant diabetic (3 per day) bother applying for a FA position?

Sick Squid
24th May 2001, 11:53
Headdown, you'd be better off posting this in the Medical Forum here on PPRuNE, and if you do a search in there for "diabetes" you'll find some past discussions on this subject that will most likely answer your question.

I'd normally transfer this up there for you, however I'm going to leave it open in here for a while just in case there are any such CC out there.
All the best,

Sick Squid
Cabin Crew Forum Moderator

PS I'd normally nip in to medical and do a quick search for you to give you an idea of where to go, but am just off to work, so don't have the time right now...sorry.

WelshCityFlyer
24th May 2001, 14:29
Headown

I've personally flown with a No1 who is insulin dependent. I've seen this person inject themselves when on duty in the galley. So, it doesn't appear to be problematic

WCF

headdown
25th May 2001, 03:27
Thanks SS & WCF, your replies have been most helpful :)

Xenia
25th May 2001, 10:54
I am not really sure about that one HD...
I believe if someone is insuline-dependant, it is far to much risk for the person to cope with a FA job.
I know a diabetic who needs insuline injections as well...as far as I can understand this person needs a sort of a regular care, including a very healthy, calories, sugar, and fat controlled diet, eat meals at regular times each day...
I am not really sure if you can have this healthy life style onboard...plus if you can take your insuline at regular times when working...
I understand your point...and believe me I see what you mean...and how it comes under the equal opps. policy....
I have reasons to believe for an airline it might be complicate as...what happen if for any reasons (such as an emergency) you won't be able to take your insuline and you have a cabin crew who is incapacitated?...therefore unable to assist pax during an evacuation (which is really our main role). What happen if your A/C goes tech somewhere...and you haven't got enough insuline with you? (as far as I understand insuline must be kept in a cool place as well).
I am not trying to put you down, don't get me wrong...but I am just trying to give you a "realistic" point of view...
However I am not involved in recruitment, but as far as I am concern all airlines look for fit, healthy individuals for a start...
You can always ring up an airline and ask yourself.
Best wishes.

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)