PDA

View Full Version : Hangar accident in MGL/EDLN

flugholm
7th Nov 2007, 21:52
Local press report the following:
>Hoher Schaden bei Unfall
>Bei einem Unfall auf dem Flughafen Mönchengladbach ist heute Morgen ein Schaden von mehr als vier Millionen Euro entstanden. Ein Techniker wurde schwer verletzt.
>Nach Angaben eines Polizeisprechers war ein zweistrahliger Passagierjet zu Wartungsarbeiten in einem Hangar aufgebockt. Vermutlich erfasste eine Windböe das Heck der Maschine und stürzte diese von den Stützen, wobei ein Techniker eingeklemmt wurde.
Source: http://www.wdr.de/studio/duesseldorf/nachrichten/#TP1646983

My rough translation:
Severe damage in accident
A damage of over four million euros occured in an accident at Airport Moenchengladbach this morning. A technician was injured severely. According to a police spokesman, a twin-engined jet was jacked up in a hangar. Apparently a wind sqall caught the aircraft's tail and caused it to fall from the trestles, trapping the technician.

No further information so far...

Sad sad story!

HOVIS
9th Nov 2007, 21:58
SAD INDEED.
and a singular lack of interest from the proon elite! :rolleyes:
Of course if this story had been about a pilot who stubbed his toe when he tripped over his wallet the site would have crashed before you could say "where's my cheese board?" :ouch:

Rainboe
9th Nov 2007, 22:10
Awful accident, but one was waiting for further information before interjecting! There is really no way of assessing severity- does the fact that the value was put before the mention of human injury say something? What is the poor man's condition?

Pittspilot
10th Nov 2007, 10:20
The technician involved is in non serious state and was brought to the hospital to be xrayed. Not nice, but could have been much worse.

old,not bold
10th Nov 2007, 10:32
What is the poor man's condition?

I have analysed that perfectly reasonable, simple question; tried saying it with different emphasis, etc etc and I can find no reason at all for the fact that to me it read as dreadfully condescending. Her Maj might ask the same of her butler about a footman run over by the coach.

Please don't take offence, Rainboe, no need for the customary outrage. I'm sure it's me that's got the problem. I have been working a lot with maintenance engineers recently and perhaps that influences my reactions to what pilots say and do.

Rainboe
10th Nov 2007, 10:33
So not really a violently bitter over-reaction like:
and a singular lack of interest from the proon elite!
Of course if this story had been about a pilot who stubbed his toe when he tripped over his wallet the site would have crashed before you could say "where's my cheese board?"
What was that garbage about then Hovis? Bit embarrassing? There's hangar accidents everyday, there are accidents on planes with crews falling out of doors, banging heads, baggage trucks hitting things, things hitting baggage trucks (I well mullared one). If you can't see such news without posting OTT like that, perhaps you should restrain yourself more.

FCS Explorer
10th Nov 2007, 11:47
or post it on PMRuNe.com (the M stands for mechanics)

Rainboe
10th Nov 2007, 11:56
What is the poor man's condition?
Not condescending at all! Most of us who get our hands dirty working under heavy machinery or doing brakes or clutches on cars have a deep fear of big heavy things falling on us. An aeroplane is up there with trucks falling down on us! I feel immensely sorry for the individual, but I don't see why we are getting abuse from some nutter if we hold off to see what the damage is. There must be a fatality at an airport every day in an industrial accident somewhere. But almost as bad are these prima donnas who use those accidents as an excuse to insult everyone! It's a big world- we must accept people die. I think one should not mourn those you don't know. You can feel sorry, but mourning is a bit OTT. I felt for Princess Di leaving kids like that, but I managed not to shriek in grief. If this engineer is only superficially injured, I'm relieved, but are we supposed to express sympathy by the thousand?

old,not bold
10th Nov 2007, 12:34
Please don't take offence, Rainboe, no need for the customary outrage.

I have to add something, but only to make the post work.......

flugholm
10th Nov 2007, 13:11
Okay, now back to the subject…:

Local press report the following:

Nach Angaben eines Polizeisprechers war ein zweistrahliger Passagierjet vom Typ Cessna 650 mit 20 Sitzplätzen zu Wartungsarbeiten in einem Hangar aufgebockt. Dabei befand sich das Heck der Maschine außerhalb der Halle. Hier wurde es von einer Windböe erfasst und zur Seite gedrückt. Das gesamte Flugzeug senkte sich und die Arbeitsböcke bohrten sich in Tragflächen und Rumpf.
Ein an der Maschine arbeitender 61-jähriger Techniker wurde eingeklemmt, allerdings konnte er von einem 25-jährigen Kollegen befreit werden. Dieser verletzte sich dabei leicht. Der 61-Jährige wurde zur stationären Behandlung in ein Krankenhaus gebracht.
Die zunächst angegebene Schadenshöhe von etwa vier Millionen Euro fällt nach Angaben der Polizei womöglich geringer aus. Die tatsächlich entstandenen Schäden müssen noch von Sachverständigen ermittelt und bewertet werden.
Source: http://www.pr-inside.com/de/hoher-sachschaden-bei-unfall-auf-flughafen-r288597.htm

My rough translation:

According to a police spokesman, a twin-engined passenger jet of the Cessna 650 type with 20 passenger seats was jacked up inside a hangar for maintenance work. The tail of the aircraft was sticking out into the open. Here it was caught by a squall and pushed to the side. The whole aircraft lowered itself and the trestles punched through the wings and the fuselage. A 61 years old technician working on the aircraft was trapped, but could be freed by his 25 year old colleague, who in turn suffered slight injuries. The 61 year old man was brought to a hospital for stationary treatment. The damage, initially stated as around four million Euros, may be somewhat less. The actual damage still has to be assessed professionally.