PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide loses a donkey @ FACT

Safetyman
7th Nov 2007, 13:32
Just heard on the radio, can anyone confirm / provide more info?

Safetyman
7th Nov 2007, 13:47
Further update: Lost an engine on T/O, has landed back safely..

I.R.PIRATE
7th Nov 2007, 13:48
It sounds like they LITERALLY lost an engine...:confused:

Safetyman
7th Nov 2007, 13:51
Ja, they said "the engine came out" on take off..

James130
7th Nov 2007, 13:52
Apparently the bucket deployed on T/O and shortly after airborne the engine came off the wing and crashed into the runway. Eyewitnesses say it looked like a bomb... Aircraft got away ok and are circling to burn off gas and plan the landing....

Shrike200
7th Nov 2007, 13:53
Well, if the bucket came out its a good thing it fell off the wing! Ouch....this sounds unpleasant.

grgplanes
7th Nov 2007, 14:06
Several diverted flights landing at GRJ at the moment!!!

theBOSS
7th Nov 2007, 14:13
Does Anyone Know If Acsa Had Anything To Do With This...?

ChiyaWena
7th Nov 2007, 14:23
Cape Town just seems like the place these days!!! Don't suppose anyone has any photos of the plane. Sounds like the crew did a good job.

Q4NVS
7th Nov 2007, 14:26
Cape Town - Eyewitnesses say an engine has fallen off a plane that has taken off from Cape Town International airport.

ACSA Spokesperson Deidre Hendricks said the runway was closed for about ten minutes at 16:00 "due to debris on the runway from a departing aircraft".

Hendricks confirmed the plane affected was a Nationwide airlines fligh on route to Johannesburg. It was due to land at 17:30.

ACSA says the pilot performed an emergency landing at Cape Town International airport and there have been no reports of any injuries.

Earlier, the airport runway had been closed to clear debris - and what is believed to be an engine from the plane - from the runway.

It is expected that the incident will cause delays at OR Tambo Airport as well.

According to a caller on Capetalk Radio who was in a plane that landed shortly after the affected plane took off, an engine could be seen lying on the runway at Cape Town International.

"They took off and left the engine behind," he said. "It was an engine lying on the ground."

Another eyewitness has reported seeing a Nationwide plane flying overhead with smoke coming out of the right side of the plane.

Traffic is also backing up in the Cape Town International airport area due to the incident. - News24 and Sapa.

Rubber Necking galore...!

reptile
7th Nov 2007, 14:51
Does Anyone Know If Acsa Had Anything To Do With This...?

For you I foresee a great future in politics! :E:E:E

four engine jock
7th Nov 2007, 14:53
If thats the case, Crew should be rewarded.
Goes to show ,Good training and you will always have a good outcome.
Way to go guys!!!!

PAXboy
7th Nov 2007, 15:02
There are other ways to test the other engine's ability to climb out alone ... :p

That must have been a VERY uncomfortable 'tug' on the yoke and highly fortunate that the breakaway bolts sheared as required. The stress on the rest of the airframe must also be significant? Although, I suppose, that depends on how long the reverser was open - before the pod departed.

Shrike200
7th Nov 2007, 16:29
This is kind of the story of Nationwide at the moment:

"Saved by it's crew!"

Well done to TA and DP, big downer to Nationwide management, the cause of so many problems, and still the lowest payers in the industry, despite the heroic efforts of it's crew on a daily basis.

Bomber Man
7th Nov 2007, 16:33
The whole engine was gone and the pilot brought it in and landed it perfectly. Realy something amazing I must say there was no engine at all its lying in thfield in the middle of the runway

Cirrus SR22
7th Nov 2007, 16:34
Trevor Arnold and Dan Perry deserve the highest praise for their outstanding airmanship. Without Marilyn Rink as the In Charge Flight Attendant the outcome may also have been different.
ACSA's concern was the debris on the runway and not passenger safety.
I have flown many times with Dan Perry. He is an outstanding young pilot and no doubt he will go far. Trevor Arnold a Stellenbosch Flying Club stalwart ... always a team job.
Well done to all of you.

Bomber Man
7th Nov 2007, 16:37
Had photos but acsa took it from me what a pitty

Oom Kaspaas
7th Nov 2007, 17:21
:mad:. A+, GUYS. Excellent job. Wx in Cape Town was real kak today.
You're both an asset to the industry.:ok::ok:

What consequences for Nationwide now and consumer confidence.:suspect:

Romeo E.T.
7th Nov 2007, 17:26
Trevor Arnold, good guy, did my Metroliner convex at Airlink in the early 90's....he has had his fair share of frights and this is the worst...well handled I must add.:D:D:D

Squat
7th Nov 2007, 18:06
No visuals on the SABC2 news either earlier tonight. Don't think a thrust reverser deployed.

Squat
7th Nov 2007, 18:08
Heard that Van wants to join the Nationwide mile high club. Not even 10 feet of the ground and you're f:mad:ed.

KandWhy
7th Nov 2007, 18:35
Just spoken to the Senior Cabin Controller who was operating that flight. She happens to be family so this info comes first-hand :ok:. Some nasty vibrations/sounds felt/heard throughout the cabin shortly after Vr. She mentioned it was unlike anything she had ever experienced before. And some experience that is, 27 years with SAA and 6 odd years at N Wide and still at it!!! :D

By the time she reported to Trevor A (very capable man, also flew with him on the Metro in the early 90s) she shared that the engine simply no longer existed. Fuel was seen spewing from below the RH wing.

Pax were superb throughout the ordeal and crew remained as calm as possible, considering the severity of the situation.

I cannot confirm or deny that the thrust reverser deployed fully, that info will be released in time.

To Trevor, Dan (2nd Flight only), Mari and Crew, TOP JOB!!!:D:D:D

To Vernon, give these Crews the accolade they rightly deserve!!!

sidestick driver
7th Nov 2007, 19:13
Well done.
When landings equal the amount of take-off's, you're doing just fine, but if you land back with less engines than the take-off, you're doing bloody well (:mad: well!):D:D:D
I trust a few hydraulic sandwiches are going down just well in Cape Town this evening.:ok:
What are the chances of this B737 working again?
I trust this crew has passed their OPC for the next 10 years straight!
That raw fuel flow without fire is amazing. Someone was watching over this crew and their passengers. :ok:

Mad Dog 83
7th Nov 2007, 19:36
What right has ACSA got to take pictures/photographs away from anyone. If that was me I would have resisted this. They are NOT a police force or anything like that. They must concern themeselves with the management of the airport and passenger safety and comfort...for which they get a user fee!

As a matter of fact DIE BURGER was there and got good pictures which will be published tomorrow. I wonder what ACSA will say about that!

KandWhy
7th Nov 2007, 19:46
Mad Dog, I agree. ACSA should have spent more time and effort in assisting the Crews and pax after bringing the 737 to a standstill, instead of worrying about stupid pics! Trevor, please post the piccies so we can see the remains (what remains!) of #2..:} PS: I bet ACSA has clear memories of rwy "blockage" after the A346 recently...:eek:

Mad Dog 83
7th Nov 2007, 19:57
Bomber Man...you should DEMAND your photographs back from ACSA...they have NO RIGHT to confiscate photographs...we are not living in North Korea or Burma and we should resist every thing which allows this country to slip in that direction.

I really wonder what right ACSA has to harrass photographers, and what they try and achieve by suppressing images. As I said in a previous post, the newspaper DIE BURGER was there and got good pictures which will be published in tomorrow morning's edition. ACSA seems to not have a problem with that, or more accurately the seasoned journalist has tricks up his sleeves to deal with problems like this and outwit ACSA and its cycophants who should worry about airside safety rather than what pictures are taken.

radioexcel
7th Nov 2007, 20:56
:uhoh:Watching something like this happening is seeing but not believing...even after 30+ years in the job, it still rattles you. A/C was just airborne..50-100ft??

I must applaud the crew:D:D They kept the plane flying under these trying and difficult conditions with drizzle rain and a cloud base of 900ft running IMC just after the incident while trying to keep the A/C flying. No time to dump fuel as it was spilling on its own. They made it back by the grace of God. It had to land...that is why the runway was cleared of rubble in such a short time(not 10 mins but 20 mins)

Engine, cowling and other parts still lying next to the runway. Have cameras ready early tomorrow morning:!!:O

Once again....brilliant...brilliant...brilliant flying by the pilots TA and DP :ok::ok::ok:

Oh.. AND...don't forget...the Approach controller having to handle this emergency and all the other 7 or 8 on frequency with a sudden runway closure and A/C all over the sky!!! Well done PR:ok::ok:

BRL
7th Nov 2007, 22:26
http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/2007110800493707_plane220.jpg

:uhoh:

Beta Light
8th Nov 2007, 00:34
Well done Trev. 10 years on type = experience, the thing that bean counters do not understand.
Now lets hope they pay you in accordance with your experience.
:D

lomapaseo
8th Nov 2007, 01:16
Once again....brilliant...brilliant...brilliant flying by the pilots TA and DP

Could somebody describe the actual level of workload with a donk gone missing.

I assume that the plane yaws and rolls a little less than with a typical engine out and the gages go blank or something. But what is it really like compared to a sim event with an engine out at this condition?

If we had less than brilliant pilots would you crash?

missingblade
8th Nov 2007, 02:07
Lomapaseo - I think the diff between this and a sim is the cold reality - ie nobody dies in a sim! I for one would certainly be acting and thinking differently than in a sim due to fear and all the psychological/physiological effects it has - none of which you experience in a sim.
( Being scared of the instructor in the sim is not the same!!!:})

Shrike200
8th Nov 2007, 02:27
Well done Trev. 10 years on type = experience, the thing that bean counters do not understand.
Now lets hope they pay you in accordance with your experience.

Again, whilst the internal problems of NTW are just that (internal), for these guys sake, they are most definately NOT paid for their experience. Apart from the known low salary at NTW, their pay scales stop at five years seniority, and the HR manager is on record as saying that they feel you should move on after that time. Nice. As you say, typical beancounter.

spice
8th Nov 2007, 04:28
Massive kudo's to the pilots and crew for getting that aircraft back on the ground safely. :D:D:D:D:D

On first hearing the report on Highveld 94.7 at 16:30 yesterday afternoon, I thought the newsreader had misread the report when she said the engine had "fallen out" .. I assumed she meant the aircraft had LOST an engine, but when they confirmed that it really had fallen out, I was stunned and amazed. Go figure.

Vernon sort out your aircraft dude!!!! These are our mates that put their lives on the line for you! :*

Placido
8th Nov 2007, 05:06
Well done boys! And the cabin crew as well, exellent job!

To Vernon. You save money on maintainance, this is what happens. That engin didn't break its mounts, the whole strut came out = corrosion.........

This resulted in the firewall and all the shutoff valves being lost as well. Losing hidrailics and fuel in the process.

This crew handled not only a ''lost'' engine, huge fuel imballance and hidraulic failure, but did it in IMC.

Man, that's worth a medal!

Witraz
8th Nov 2007, 05:13
Well done to all involved. Good designed aircraft too, not forgetting others in the past where an engine has come away and the aircraft C of G change to out of operating limits has resulted in the loss of the hull.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Nov 2007, 05:15
Also flew the entire time with gear extended due to hydraulic failure after firewall shut offs went south with the pylon. Aircraft unable to be cleaned up after take off according to another site. Far trickier than an engine falling off the bottom of the pylon and leaving working shut offs and thus operational hydraulic systems.

ChiyaWena
8th Nov 2007, 05:49
Crew were the hero's, boeing were the winners and vernon and the pax were the lucky ones. that's what you get when you pick up planes for spare parts and make them fly. i hope vernon buys the crew beers for the rest of their lives and maybe a new pair of undies.

this can't be good for NTW with the CAA watching over them so closely, and what is of the aircraft now. is it spare parts again or can it be made to fly. bet boeing are loving this one. when i heard the story, the hairs on my neck stood up because it was only yesterday afternoon that i was watching a programme on discovery about a dc 10 with a similar incident, but in that case, 270 odd peaople weren't so lucky.

so what's it going to take vernon, a wake up call like this, because they don't come closer than this, or an actual hull loss with loss of life???:ugh:

maybe it's time for vern to get out of the game, swallow his pride and let someone take over his 'good' airline and turn it into a 'great' one!!!

i guess the dilemma lies with the pax now, do we still fly on NTW because they have brilliant pilots capable of flying the machine when it's falling apart, or do we stop flying NTW because of the old crap planes??!! time will tell.

lets get some more photos up here. and i hope some get stuck up on the walls at NTW, beancounters need to see stuff like this. we'll see how soon it will be before they fly on one of their own planes again!!!

but to the crew, well done and if vernon and NTW don't recongise your excellence, at least the your fellow airman do :D:D:D for whatever that may be worth.

ChiyaWena
8th Nov 2007, 05:51
......another thing, aynone know of any other incidents where this has happened to a fluff before??

nugpot
8th Nov 2007, 06:06
......another thing, aynone know of any other incidents where this has happened to a fluff before??

Yes, from R&N on this forum: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3687467&postcount=8

I'll steal unashamedly from IGh. :E
Delta B737-200 7Jan92 DFW. Engine separation on takeoff. After T/O at 200' breakaway safety bolts called "Cone Pins" sheared for right engine. Engine bounced on grass on right side of runway.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...11X13985&key=1
... FTW92IA055 ....
... DELTA AIR LINES ...
... Tuesday, January 07, 1992 in DFW ...
... BOEING 737-232 ... N322DL ...

THE RIGHT ENGINE SEPARATED ... CLIMBING THROUGH 200 FEET AFTER TAKEOFF. ... UNEVENTFUL LANDING ...

ENGINE SEPARATION WAS THE RESULT OF THE FAILURE OF THE AFT CONE BOLT AND THE ENGINE SECONDARY SUPPORT ASSEMBLY. THE AFT CONE BOLT FAILED AS RESULT OF A PREEXISTING FATIGUE CRACK, WHILE THE ENGINE SECONDARY SUPPORT ASSEMBLY FAILED AS RESULT OF THE DYNAMIC LOADS THAT EXCEEDED THE DESIGNED CAPACITY OF THE MOUNTING BOLTS.

THE TWO FORWARD CONE BOLTS FAILED IN OVERLOAD AS THE ENGINE SWUNG FORWARD DURING THE SEPARATION SEQUENCE.

METALLURGICAL TESTING REVEALED THAT THE FATIGUE OF THE AFT CONE BOLT WAS A RESULT OF LUBRICANT INADVERTENTLY INTRODUCED INTO THE CONICAL SURFACE OF THE CONE BOLT.

...Board determines the probable cause ...
THE FAILURE OF THE AFT CONE BOLT AS RESULT OF PREEXISTING FATIGUE CRACKING DUE TO IMPROPER MAINTENANCE, AND THE FAILURE OF THE SECONDARY SUPPORT STRUCTURE AS A RESULT OF LOADS THAT EXCEEDED THE CAPACITY OF THE ATTACHING HARDWARE AND THE CRUSHABLE HONEYCOMB CORE.

= = = // = = =

Piedmont Airlines B737-200, 20Jan89, right engine separated from aircraft after T/O at Chicago. Newly designed secondary support structure had not yet been installed.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...13X27558&key=1
... CHI89MA046 ....
... PIEDMONT AIRLINES
... Friday, January 20, 1989 in CHICAGO, IL ...
... BOEING 737-201 ... N242US ...

AN IN-FLIGHT TEARAWAY OF THE RIGHT ENGINE (FROM THE RIGHT WING) OCCURRED AS THE AIRPLANE LIFTED OFF FROM THE RUNWAY. ... CONTINUED THE TAKEOFF ... RETURNED ...

AN EXAM OF ITS WING & SEPARATED ENGINE REVEALED THE AFT CONE (ENG MOUNTING) BOLT HAD FAILED FROM FATIGUE, THEN THE TWO FORWARD CONE BOLTS FAILED FROM DUCTILE OVERSTRESS.

A RAISED MECHANICAL DEFORMATIVE WAS FOUND ON THE CONICAL SURFACE OF THE AFT BOLT. THE DEFORMITY WAS INDICATIVE OF DAMAGE PRODUCED PRIOR TO OR DURING ASSEMBLY OF THE CONE BOLT IN THE ISOLATION MOUNT. A MATCHING CAVITY WAS NOTED ON THE ISOLATION MOUNT. THERE WAS EVIDENCE THAT THE MECHANICAL IRREGULARITY RESULTED IN A NONUNIFORM FIT WHICH ALLOWED THE TORQUED FITTING TO LOOSEN DURING CYCLIC LOADING.

AD 88-01-07 REQUIRED THAT ULTRASONIC INSPECTION OF THE CONE BOLTS BE PERFORMED AT INTERVALS NOT TO EXCEED 600 CYCLES. AN ULTRASONIC INSPECTION OF THE BOLTS HAD BEEN ACCOMPLISHED ABOUT 330 CYCLES BEFORE THE ENGINE SEPARATED.

... Board determines the probable cause ...
PREVIOUS DAMAGE TO THE AFT CONE (ENGINE MOUNTING) BOLT, WHICH RESULTED IN MISMATCHED SURFACES BETWEEN THE BOLT AND ISOLATION MOUNT, LOSS OF TORQUE DURING CYCLIC LOADING OF THE MOUNTING BOLT, AND SUBSEQUENT FATIGUE FAILURE OF THE BOLT.

= = = // = = =

US Air B737-200 PHL 5Dec87 #2 engine separated shortly after takeoff. Cracks caused by metal fatigue in one of three bolts; after rear bolt failed the two forward bolts and support cable failed in overload. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...13X32769&key=1
... NYC88FA050 ....
... USAIR
... Saturday, December 05, 1987 ... DEPTFORD, NJ ...
... BOEING 737-2B7 ... N319AU ...

DRG TKOF, AS USAIR FLT 224 WAS CLBG THRU 4000', THE ACFT YAWED/ROLLED RGT. SIMULTANEOUSLY, THE CREW NOTICED THE #2 THROTTLE SLAM/LOCK TO THE IDLE PSN & A CONTINUOUS AIRFRAME BUFFET BEGAN.

SOON THEREAFTER, THE #2 ENG SEPD FM THE ACFT & THE BUFFET STOPPED.

THE ENG IMPACTED IN AN OPEN FLD, 6 MI FM THE ARPT.

JUST BFR IT SEPD, A PAX SAW THE AFT END OF THE #2 ENG MOMENTARILY DROOP ABOUT 30 DEG.

AFTER ENG SEPN, THE 'B' HYD SYS LOST PRES & THE TE FLAPS WOULD ONLY EXTD 10 DEG.

THE ACFT WAS LNDD SAFELY AFTER AN EMERG GEAR EXTN & DIFFERENTIAL BRAKING WAS USED FOR STEERING.

AN EXAM REVEALED THE AFT MOUNT CONE BOLT FOR THE #2 ENG HAD FAILED FM FATIGUE THRU THE THREAD RELIEF UNDERCUT RADIUS. FATIGUE CRACKS HAD INITIATED ON DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE RADIUS. SUBSEQUENTLY, THE FWD MOUNT CONE BOLTS & SECONDARY SUPPORT CABLE FAILED FROM OVERLOAD.

ENGINE INSTALLATION, MOUNTING BOLT ..FATIGUE

= = = // = = =

"Southwest 223" / 3Jan86 B737-2H4, after T/O from Love Field (Dallas), Rt Engine rear mount Cone Bolt sheared, mount failed and restraining cable broke; leaving the engine attached by only the two fwd mount bolts; returned safely. [AWST 124:31 Ja 13'86, photo.]

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...10X00187&key=1
... FTW86MA030
... SOUTHWEST ...
... January 03, 1986 in DALLAS, TX
... BOEING 737-2H4 ... N86SW ...

THIS INCIDENT OCCURRED WHEN THE NO. 2 ENGINE EXPERIENCED AN AFT ENGINE MOUNT CONE BOLT FAILURE AND THE SUBSEQUENT FAILURE OF THE SECONDARY SUPPORT LINK (STAINLESS STEEL CABLE).

THE FAILURE OF BOTH AFT ENGINE SUPPORT ASSEMBLIES DURING THE TAKEOFF ROLL ALLOWED THE AFT SECTION OF THE ENG TO HANG DOWN TO WITHIN 4' [sic, transcription err] OF THE GROUND. AS A RESULT, THE NO.2 THRUST REVERSER ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY DRUG THE RUNWAY ON ROTATION.
... RETURNED ... LANDED...

METALLURGICAL EXAMINATION OF THE CONE BOLT REVEALED THAT IT FAILED AS A RESULT OF FATIGUE, MOST PROBABLY DUE TO IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF THE BOLT, SPECIFICALLY, THAT IT WAS UNDER TORQUED WHEN THE OPERATOR RE-INSTALLED THE ENG.

THE SAFETY CABLE FAILED AS A RESULT OF OVERSTRESS, PROBABLY INDUCED WHEN THE ACFT ENCOUNTERED A ROUGH STRETCH OF RUNWAY DURING THE TAKEOFF ROLL.

ENGINE INSTALLATION, SUSPENSION MOUNTS .. FAILURE, PARTIAL
... FATIGUE ... SEPARATION ... OVERLOAD ... UNDERTORQUED
MAINTENANCE, INSTALLATION .. IMPROPER ...

Contributing Factors ... RUNWAY / LANDING AREA CONDITION ... ROUGH /UNEVEN

i was watching a programme on discovery about a dc 10 with a similar incident, but in that case, 270 odd peaople weren't so lucky.

In that case the engine took out the LE devices and hydraulics. These guys were fortunate, but apparently a superbly handled emergency.

777Contrail
8th Nov 2007, 06:19
Vernon will probably fire them for damage to his aircraft and delaying the flight into cancelation!

ChiyaWena
8th Nov 2007, 06:43
Thanks for that. so it's happened a few times and all landed back safely. testement to Boeing and their aerie's.

and i wouldn't be surprised if VB looked at this incident from a totally different angle from us normal folk!!! would be good to hear from someone at NTW to see if VB even contacted and congratulated the crew or even thanked them for the good job they did.

B. Bonga
8th Nov 2007, 06:58
Eish, job well done.:ok:

TwinJock
8th Nov 2007, 07:01
Jaaaaa! Wondered when Uncle Vernon's " I WILL SERVICE THEM MYSELF AT THE LOWEST COST" attitude would come back to bite him in the a@#$e!

Sooner than I thought! Well done to the crew. :ok:

It seems as if ENGINE SEVERE DAMAGE/SEPARATION checklist does deserve a place in the QRH. Especially if it was serviced at Lanseria:ok:

What does concern me more about this episode, is that I can not really recommend an airline to travel on in SA to anyone! Maybe BA Comair, but, only just. Give the rest a wide miss! I have to travel to George on a regular basis, and the choice of SAX, Khulula, Nationwide and BA has been reduced considerably.

SAX - you never know what old wreck you are going to end up on.
Khulula - so many Emergency Descends due to pressurization problems, they are exempt from doing it in the simulator.
Nationwide - Not keen on flying on genuine singles thank you.
BA - lets wait and see.

Wonder what role CAA can play to ensure that ourskies remain safe, airports remain open, and the industry does not slide into "Nigeria" mode. Ooops, I forgot, we are already there!

nugpot
8th Nov 2007, 07:11
SAX - you never know what old wreck you are going to end up on

You'll be glad to know that in the future SAX routes will be operated by SAX's own aircraft. Wet-leased a/c will only be allowed for a SAX AOG. The 10th CRJ will be on line at the end of Nov 2007.

ByAirMail
8th Nov 2007, 07:32
No disrespect to the young guys, but Vernon and the pax can be glad it was an experienced captain.

Well done Trevor, goes to show, when we got told by S.A.A. we are not the right "profile" and got sidelined to make space for others.........they now battle to keep an aircraft on the taxiway. S.A.A's loss, we said it all along. :ok:

Last time I saw you I joked about your half grey beard. You now deserve a full grey beard.

Good job :D

grant_737
8th Nov 2007, 07:45
From the times website.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/thumbnail.aspx?type=mm&id=46398

grgplanes
8th Nov 2007, 11:18
SAX - you never know what old wreck you are going to end up on.

Not true at all, their Dash8s and CRJ mix would probably have one of the youngest average age.
Infact the 2 Dash 8Q400s they use to fly to George is THE newest two aircraft in South Africa!

Knormoer
8th Nov 2007, 11:24
Well done to the Nationwide guys! Wonder where you log those hours in the logbook? Single? :)

KandWhy
8th Nov 2007, 11:35
Vernon is apparently blaming incident on FOD on the rwy....am I surprised?:yuk:

nugpot
8th Nov 2007, 13:27
Nationwide Airlines
Press Statement
08 November 2007 – 14h30
Nationwide Airlines Salutes Pilots and Crew
Nationwide Airlines Chief Executive Officer Vernon Bricknell today complimented his entire staff and in particular the Captain and crew of Flight CE 723 for their heroic efforts in helping to maintain the company’s outstanding safety record.
Flight CE 723 was discontinued following an incident yesterday soon after take off from Cape Town International Airport.
Bricknell says this is the first major incident that the airline has experienced since taking to the skies 12 years ago.
Bricknell says he is relieved that the incident, which took place yesterday at Cape Town International Airport, did not result in injury to passengers or people on the ground.
“Upon take off of Boeing 737 Flight CE 723 yesterday at Cape Town International, the captain heard a loud noise immediately followed by a yaw of the aircraft. The captain, after confirmation of information from flight deck instrumentation that one of the engines had failed, immediately applied emergency procedures, an emergency was declared and the aircraft returned to make an emergency landing in Cape Town,” says Bricknell.
Nationwide Airlines has since determined that during the take off roll an object which is yet to be defined was ingested into the engine causing engine failure. The subsequent forces experienced by the engine supporting structure caused this to fail and for the number two engine to detach from the wing. The engine-to-wing supporting structure is designed to release the engine when extreme forces are applied to prevent any structural damage to the wing that may impair the aircraft’s ability to fly.
He reiterated the fact that the Boeing 737 aircraft is by far one of the safest aircraft in service today. “The Boeing 737 is aviation’s most successful story,” says Bricknell
According to Bricknell, there are approximately 5 000 Boeing 737 in service around the world, with one Boeing 737 taking off every 9 seconds, every day.
He says Nationwide Airlines is working with the proper authorities to establish the nature of the unidentified object and will keep the public informed as more information becomes available.
Furthermore Bricknell says Nationwide Airlines has met and surpassed local and international safety best practice standards. The airline is accredited by IOSA, the Operational Safety Audit of the International Airline Transport Association (IATA).
He says the airline industry is the most regulated sector in the world in terms of safety, training and aircraft maintenance.
‘In no other profession are skilled individuals such as pilots required to undergo testing and to demonstrate their proficiency on such a regular basis. Training encompasses a wide variety of subjects and scenarios that hopefully flight crew members will never be called upon to exercise in the operational environment. Yesterday this training paid off – the skills of the crew were called upon and procedures were carried out in a text-book fashion,” says Bricknell.
Nationwide Airlines is a privately owned airline company which flies to local, regional and international destinations.
Ends.
Thanks Deanw for the statement.

Prop Job
8th Nov 2007, 14:23
I just read the Nationwide press statement and I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Say the engine did fail due to FOD ingestion, I really doubt the vibrations would be strong enough to shear the cone bolts off. Even if the vibrations were strong enough to shear the cone bolts, the engine would react in the same way as the four incidents mentioned in nugpot's earlier thread. In those incidents the cone bolts sheared and the engine fell away, but the pilon remained with the shut-off valves intact. If you look at the picture posted by BRL, the whole pilon is gone, not just the engine...

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Nov 2007, 15:23
-200 doesn't have much of a pylon to begin with.

Deanw
8th Nov 2007, 15:45
Some excellent close-up photos of the wing, engine mounts and the engine on AvCom ( http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26884&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180 ).

I can see no evidence of FOD ingestion by looking at intake and blades!

asianeagle
8th Nov 2007, 15:46
:DA VERY WELL DONE TO YOU BOTH. :D

Trev, we flew many times together, when Uncle Vern first started with the fluffs, probably in that very same rust bucket and in hindsight it is nice to know you were there should it have happened to us.

When I am next in town I will have to buy you a cold one and hear the story.

arf1410
8th Nov 2007, 17:55
Some excellent close-up photos of the wing, engine mounts and the engine on AvCom ( http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic....=asc&start=180 ).

I couldn't get that link with the photos to come up???

nugpot
8th Nov 2007, 18:18
I couldn't get that link with the photos to come up???

Pics now at http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26884&start=180

3rdBogey
8th Nov 2007, 18:42
:DHumour me for a short epistle, please?
In your mind, picture the Big Cheese "Beancounter".
Now this scenario was on the T/O run, but for this excercise, imagine it happening on the DA. Bad stuff weather.
Your children are on board, both of them, as UMs.(You're subsequently sterile.<not imp.....)
The Captain happened to be suddenly taken with a SERIOUS eye problem/ gut problem/tooth problem, whatever~ but he/she is effectively INCAPACITATED!
Now you have the FO alone flying. Then this happens, at DA, no visual clues. Go around......
Now the question. How do you feel, standing in the terminal waiting for your children to arrive, with all the others, knowing that the FO is a 250/300 hour "cheap salary pilot"? A little-experienced pilot, flying 121 sheduled pax.
I for one find it tantamount to criminal thinking, not "Business".
Sorry, I still believe there are just too many 1000+hour pilots out there giving instruction etc for the industry to morally motivate taking such low time pilots!
Let's learn from this great lesson that's just happened?
Congrats to the wonderful job done by these pilots.
Maybe they'll publish their experience themselves here?
:D:D:D:ok:

eish
8th Nov 2007, 18:52
Eish, job well done:ok:

No, it wasn't me - it was Trevor

Juliet Sierra Papa
8th Nov 2007, 19:38
Reading the posting from "nugpot" ("39) it seems that in all these events it has been number 2 engine...:confused::confused:.

Shrike200
8th Nov 2007, 19:40
Thanks for the pictures Nugs.

3rd bogey, for what it's worth, Nationwide no longer employ extremely low time guys who pay for their rating. I believe the average is closer to 2000 hrs for a new hire (but could be a little out), and all employees are now bonded (four years, 150K, so basically it's a giant rip off for ten sessions in a Fluff sim).

When you examine this closely though, this is for the companies benefit, rather than any kind of high minded moral values. They know that:

(a) when they bond guys, they have a greater financial incentive to stay, and
(b)they want higher time guys because they constantly need Captains to replace those lost due to the extremely high turnover, thus they need to employ higher time guys with ATPs and suitable total time to satisfy insurance requirements for the inevitable rapid command.

MidmarMile
8th Nov 2007, 20:17
1st post on pprune

As SLF I must admit it is comforting to know that there is skill + experience up front!!!

Does anybody know what effect altitude would have had on the incident? They could just as easily have lost the engine whilst taking off at JNB.

Avi8tor
9th Nov 2007, 03:24
Gotta agree, AWESOME job by all of the crew. Bet the party afterward was substantial.

As the engine largely around the centre of the wing, I would imagine little cg change. But would love to hear from the crew about the roll/yaw when it fell off.

Cirrus SR22
9th Nov 2007, 03:53
By Asa Sokopo and Henri Du Plessis

"From where I was sitting I could see that there wasn't an engine where there's supposed to be one and I thought s**t."

That is how a passenger aboard a Nationwide Boeing 737 described her panic after the aircraft lost its starboard engine during take-off at Cape Town International Airport on Wednesday.

The accident was described as "super rare" by a local aviation analyst, who said South African aviation was among the safest in the world.

Despite Wednesday's drama, passengers were queueing up on Thursday morning to board the first Nationwide flight out of Cape Town.

Ground staff at the check-in counter said there had been no cancellations, although official comment was not forthcoming at the time of going to press.

Nationwide flight CEP723 had just lifted taken for Johannesburg with 106 passengers aboard on Wednesday when the engine came adrift and fell to earth, landing close to the runway.

It is the second accident at the airport in less than a week. On Friday, an SAA Airbus got stuck with its nosewheel in thick sand after it veered off the runway while turning to head for the apron shortly after landing.

On Wednesday, shocked passengers hailed the Nationwide pilot as a hero as they emerged shaken, but uninjured after their ordeal.

The aircraft took off at about 3.50pm on Wednesday and made an emergency landing about 40 minutes later, after the right-hand engine had dislodged minutes after take off.

Passengers praised pilot Trevor Arnold and co-pilot Daniel Perry for "one of the smoothest landings, even with one engine".

After realising that the craft had lost an engine, Arnold ascended and jettisoned fuel over False Bay before heading back to the airport for an emergency landing, said the passengers.

They said he had told them to "remain calm" as "everything is under control".

Airports Company South Africa spokesperson Deidre Hendricks said fire and rescue personnel were alerted at 4.10pm.

She said the runway was "closed for approximately 10 minutes due to debris from a departing aircraft".

"The runway remained closed for the aircraft's return, which took place at approximately 4.28pm," Hendricks said.

The runway was re-opened about half an hour later.

Elvine Driver, who was sitting in a restaurant overlooking the runway when the Cape Argus arrived on the scene, said he was watching as the plane was taking off.

"As it was taking off, something dropped to the ground and made some sparks but the plane still slowly ascended," Driver said.

The atmosphere at the airport on Wednesday was thick with tension as passengers who were waiting for other flights were seen pointing at the three pieces of engine debris lying on the grass on one side of the runway.

The Nationwide passengers were all ushered into a hall at the back of the airport, behind security gates where counselling was said to have been provided.

A Cape Town-based frequent flyer and businesswoman, who declined to be named, said Nationwide was making alternative travel arrangements for them and moving the passengers around in groups of 10.

"I was sitting two seats ahead of the wing, right where the engine broke off," she said.

Fellow passenger Rose Molokwane, of Brits in Gauteng, said the plane was about 30 metres in the sky when parts of engine fell off.

"We just heard a bang and then an eerie silence. After a few seconds we could hear it stuttering," Molokwane said.

"From where I was sitting I could see that there wasn't an engine where there's supposed to be one and I thought s**t," she said.

Nationwide marketing and sales manager Charmaine Thome said on Thursday that the airline had begun its own investigation early on Thursday morning, after technical experts were given access to the plane and wrecked engine by the Civil Aviation Authority.

Aviation analyst Linden Birns said on Thursday that any one of a "million" things could have caused the incident.

"In real terms, airline safety has improved if you consider that while domestic flights had increased more than three-fold over the past two years, incident and accident figures have remained basically the same," he pointed out.

When the Cape Argus visited the airport this morning, it appeared to be operating normally.

Nationwide passengers slowly checked in their baggage "hoping for the best".

Passengers queued up to board the first Nationwide flight departing from Cape Town airport, at 9.40am, for Nelspruit via Johannesburg.

Matthew Morgan, who is travelling to Nelspruit, said: "Accidents happen and hopefully something like this won't happen again for a long while. I am hoping for the best".

A woman travelling to Johannesburg, who gave her name as Gugu, said she had seen the accident on TV news.

"I am nervous, but I had already booked and have a meeting to get to this afternoon." - Additional reporting by Andisiwe Makinana and Jade Witten

This article was originally published on page 1 of The Cape Argus on November 08, 2007

Cirrus SR22
9th Nov 2007, 03:56
By Daily news correspondent

The pilot of the Nationwide Boeing 737, which made an emergency landing at Cape Town International Airport after one of its engines dislodged and crashed to the ground on Wednesday, has been hailed a hero by passengers, who emerged shaken, but uninjured, after the ordeal.

Flight CE723 took off from Cape Town International Airport at 3:50pm on Wednesday and made an emergency landing 40 minutes later, after the right-hand engine dislodged minutes after take-off.

The plane, carrying 106 passengers, was heading for Johannesburg.

Some of the passengers have hailed the pilot a hero after undertaking what they called "one of the smoothest landings, even with one engine".

The Daily News has established that the pilot was Daniel Perry. After realising the craft had lost an engine soon after take-off, Perry ascended and dumped fuel over False Bay before embarking on an emergency landing, said the passengers.

They said Perry had told them to "remain calm" as "everything is under control". A Cape Town businesswoman said: "I was sitting two seats ahead of the wing, right where the engine broke off."

Cape Town International Airport was the scene of another drama last week when an SAA Airbus overshot the main runway. - Daily News Correspondent

This article was originally published on page 1 of Daily News on November 08, 2007

AirwayBlocker
9th Nov 2007, 05:29
Well the Nationwide incident has made CNN. Unfortunately the further the news travels the more distorted it gets. And it's currently No1 on the most viewed list.

(CNN) -- Brendon Pelser said he saw pure terror in the faces of his fellow passengers after an engine fell from a wing as it took off from Cape Town, South Africa, Wednesday.
Men were sweating profusely, women were crying.
"There was fear on their faces," Pelser said. "Everyone started panicking."
But the pilot of Nationwide Airlines' Boeing 737 Flight CE723 was able to fly long enough to dump fuel and make an emergency landing at Cape Town International Airport.
Including crew, 100 hundred people were on the plane that departed at 3:50 p.m. on an hourlong flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. No one was injured.
The jet had only been in the air about 10 minutes before the engine fell.
"We heard something crash and bang, the plane veering left and right. A person on the right side said the engine was missing -- had broken clean off," said Pelser. http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/tabs/video.gifWatch Pelser describe how the flight crew told passengers to "prepare for the worst" » (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/11/08/emergency.landing/index.html#cnnSTCVideo)
"They flew us in very slowly. We were all prepared for the worst. We went into the fetal position, head between the legs," he said. "Then we hit the runway."
"I did kind of pray. I didn't want to die. I'm not really ready to die," the 33-year-old said.
An object had been sucked into the engine as the nose wheel lifted from the ground and officials are trying to identify it.
The engine-to-wing supporting structure is designed to release an engine "when extreme forces are applied," to prevent structural damage to the wing, Nationwide said on its Web site.
The airline described the incident as a "catastrophic engine failure."
As the nose wheel lifted from the ground, "the captain heard a loud noise immediately followed by a yaw of the aircraft (sideways slippage) to the right," the airline said in a news release.
The flight instruments showed the No. 2 engine on the right side had failed, it said.
Pelser said he spent the night in Cape Town, then flew back to Johannesburg where he lives, on the same airline.
Nationwide said the engine had undergone a major overhaul in March 2005 at "an approved Federal Aviation Authority facility in the U.S.A." and had flown only 3,806 hours since then.
"These engines typically achieve 10,000 hours between major overhauls," Nationwide Airlines' press release stated.

Woof etc
9th Nov 2007, 05:51
Maybe the engine sucked in bits of A340-600?

I.R.PIRATE
9th Nov 2007, 06:44
Like the Skipper's ego?

congoman
9th Nov 2007, 06:48
The engine ingested something and fell off???
Sorry - sounds like spin to me.
737-200 engines have ingested lots of things over the 40 odd years they've been flying but this is the first I've heard of a -200 engine just falling off!
Sounds more like metal fatigue or bad maintenance to me - so obviously Nationwide will want to pin this on something else. Nice try uncle Vern! :eek:
They were VERY lucky they had an experienced Captain at the controls...
And will someone please tell these friggin' journalists to do their research! A 737-200 CAN'T dump fuel. You either burn off fuel or land overweight.
But I guess they think "dumping" sounds more dramatic.

asianeagle
9th Nov 2007, 07:11
Maybe the engine sucked in bits of A340-600?

:ok:excellent!!!:D:}

sidestick driver
9th Nov 2007, 08:03
What was the new landing weight minus one engine?

That engine must be a ton or so.

rockpecker
9th Nov 2007, 08:07
sucked in bits of A340.....or another mango peel.....:}

exjet
9th Nov 2007, 08:12
If I heard Linden Birns report yesterday correctly this is the 4th B732 to 'loose' an engine. The last one was in the 80's

flyknight
9th Nov 2007, 08:41
This was something that was going to happen rather sooner than later.

I have advised all my friends (read not ex mother-in-law) not to fly Nationwide because of the 'vrot' aeroplanes they fly.

:D:D Well done to the crew! Just another day at the "office", but not getting paid for it - sucks!

Siguarda al fine
9th Nov 2007, 15:56
Caa Website States All B727 Aircraft With P&w Jt8's Grounded Forthwith.

nugpot
9th Nov 2007, 16:15
From the CAA:
To All B727 series and DC9 series operators
To Whom It May Concern:
Sir/Madam,
Pratt and Whitney JT8 series engine mountings and supports
This is due to a recent incident of B737 fitted with the affected engine type, where engine separation occurred. The intention is to alleviate the possibility of re-occurrence of the incident, which might have a disastrous outcome, and this is in no way attest to, or and indication to the cause of the incident. There is and independent process which the SACAA has undertaken and the results of such might or might not affect this notice. The purpose of this notice is to assure Safety on the affected aircraft type fitted with the abovementioned engines operated with in the Republic.
Please be advised that the SACAA is currently in the process of developing an Emergency Airworthiness Directive to conduct a detailed visual inspection as per the NDT principles on the aircraft assemblies and subassemblies.
Confirm compliance to all applicable Airworthiness Directives and Service Bulletins related to engine and pylon mountings as well as support bolts as per the Manufacturer.
All operators will be notified as soon as the Emergency Airworthiness Directive has been issued.
Should you have any queries to above-mentioned matter please do not
hesitate to contact this Authority.
Airworthiness Inspector Large Aircraft

and
RSA AD No 07-002 Revision 1
Applicable to:
All Boeing 737-200 series aircraft fitted with Pratt and Whittney JT8D series.
Order in terms of the Aviation Act 74 of 1972:
Owners and operators of the abovementioned aircraft types issued with a certificate of airworthiness in terms of Part 21.01.4 and operating on an Aircraft Operating Certificate issued in terms of Part 121 of the South African Civil Aviation Regulations 1997, as amended are hereby advised that the grounding order issued, which prohibits the operation of these aircraft in the RSA until an acceptable level of safety can be demonstrated, shall remain in force subject to compliance with the conditions as laid down in the following paragraphs.
Affectivity:
This AD becomes effective on receipt and/or 09 November 2007, whichever
occurs earliest.
Summary:
This is due to a recent incident on the affected aircraft type, where engine separation from airframe attachment occurred. The intention of this Emergency Airworthiness Directive is to alleviate the possibility of reoccurrence of such incident, which might have a disastrous outcome, and this is in no way attests to, nor gives an indication to the cause of the incident. There is an independent process which the SACAA has undertaken and the results of which might or might not affect this Emergency Airworthiness Directive. The purpose of this Emergency Airworthiness Directive is to assure Safety on the affected aircraft type operated with in the Republic.
Compliance
A. Conduct a detailed visual inspection as per the NDTprinciples on the
following aircraft assemblies and subassemblies:
1. Inspect Airframe, specific to the Pylon attachments on the airframe.
2. Inspect the pylons, specific to the attachment bolts, nuts and where applicable riveting area, both to the engine and the airframe.
3. Inspect all the support beam and attachments, specifically on and around the pylon.
4. Inspect all the engine controls, including and specific to the Thrust reverser.

B. Confirm compliance to the following Airworthiness Directives and the Service Bulletins dependant on applicability as per the Manufacturer:
The following Airworthiness Directives:
1. AD Number 99-26-07 dealing with the Failure of the secondary support.
2. AD Number 98-14-09 dealing with the Forward engine mount support fitting.
3. AD Number 89-21-02 dealing with the Engine mount cone bolt nut.
The following Service Bulletins:
1. All the applicable Pylon specific service bulletins (There are 13 specific ATA Chapter 54 Bulletins as of the 9thof November 2007).
2. Service Bulletin number 737-71A1430
3. Service Bulletin number 737-71A1462
4. Service Bulletin number 737-71A1212
5. Service Bulletin number 737-71-1250
6. Service Bulletin number 737-71-1289
C. Carry out the following inspections:
I. Check the complete engine mount and support brackets using an xray method of inspection.
2. Inspect engine diaphragm plate in the vicinity of the engine mounting area for signs of fretting possibly indicating loss of or incorrect torque or mount interference.
3. Inspect airframe-threaded boss and ensure internal threads are not pulled or damaged. or show any other signs of distress.
4. Should the installation differ from abovementioned an alternate means of compliance must be requested.
5. Inspect all engine to mounting frame sandwich and other support rubber bushings for condition as well as the support bolts in this area and replace as necessary.

D. Notes:
Note a dual inspection of engine controls, and any other affected controls is mandatory. As well as the required certification in the applicable logbook and/or approved maintenance recording system of the maintenance performed during this inspection.
All positive and negative findings must be reported in writing to the CM airworthiness section. This must be a comprehensive report indicating all that is required. Once all required maintenance has been performed and the aircraft certified safe for flight. The Commissioner must be informed of such on the contactsprovidedbelow. .
Should an owner of one of the abovementioned type aircraft wish to submit an alternate method of compliance for consideration, which will achieve an acceptable level of safety, he/she may do so. This would be for consideration by the Senior manager Airworthiness and approval by the Commissioner for Civil Aviation, and therefore directed to the Senior Manager: Airworthiness on Fax number +2711 545 1013 or alternatively on e-mail: [email protected] or [email protected].
A special flight permit may be requested to position the aircraft to a maintenance facility where embodiment of the AD may be accomplished.
Compliance: Prior to further flight unless already accomplished.

boypilot
9th Nov 2007, 16:29
Just to correct the press who have once again got it wrong.

1.The Captain of the flight was TA not DP who was in fact the co-pilot.

2.A B737 does not have a fuel dump system.The fact that it was dumping fuel is another point all together.

Credit to a highly experienced and competent Captain and his crew on a job very well done in what is possibly one of the worst case scenarios on a B732.:ok:

This was NTWs second emergency into FACT this week - the previous incident involving a B727.

natkid
9th Nov 2007, 18:01
:mad:What a load of rubbish you speak!!!

nugpot
9th Nov 2007, 18:31
What an inane first post on PPRuNe!

alexmcfire
9th Nov 2007, 20:49
More pics here, http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86647
How many cycles and hours did this aircraft got? Seem like it was sold to
Lufthansa as new and last previous operator was Croatian Airlines,
http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.php?search=set&airline=CE&al_op=1

wilford@global
11th Nov 2007, 13:22
check your facts , Dan Perry has under 800 hours. great job , since "he" flew the aircraft during the emergency, ( manual reversion, no hydraulics ) he handed the aircraft to the Capt at 500 ft on final app. for the landing.(monitored approach)
Great job by both pilots

CJ750
11th Nov 2007, 16:42
Has anyone heard any more FOOT IN THE MOUTH disease from VB. I wonder if this incident will dent his profits and stop him racing his cars for a while.

Once again BRAVO to all the crew:D:D:D

3rdBogey
11th Nov 2007, 18:11
My apologies Shrike200, I was NOT pointing a finger at NW, but specifically at some 'other' operators in the domestic scene. I used this posting because I know these people are reading this particular post. But I suppose I am wrong. Difficult to change your feelings and convictions though. I really don't think a 200-300 hour copilot belongs in the 121 sheduled arena. However, the senior captains who fly with these very low time co-jo's are adament that all is fine. I still have my doubts about these very senior captains saying ,all is fine, if THEIR children were on one of these flights , unaccompanied. We shall see huh?
Well done, both crew. All the crew!:D

Juliet Sierra Papa
11th Nov 2007, 18:57
Just found this link via google http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=139&art_id=nw20071111121123539C274785

Shrike200
12th Nov 2007, 02:41
No worries.

And a big bunch of kudo's to the engineers, now grafting 24/7 to complete all the inspections and get the birds on the line again. Well done, your efforts are appreciated by us all.

Nothing like standing on the apron at 0200, covered in grease, skinned knuckles and all, working on minimal sleep, with another ten machines to go....on the plus side, at least it's not winter...respect. :ok::ok::ok:

beechbum
12th Nov 2007, 05:35
Nothing like standing on the apron at 0200, covered in grease, skinned knuckles and all, working on minimal sleep
Shouldn't all this be done in a well lit hangar so the guys can 'properly' see what they are doing? I don't see other carriers working on the apron in the dead of night trying to rectify problems!
I think this is where all the trouble begins........
Sorry Shrike200 correct me if I'm wrong here but it doesn't sound right to me?

JetNut
12th Nov 2007, 07:24
Once again it is the pilots who've averted a disaster and negated the greed of top management.

Had that fluffy not made it, NW would have closed down never to reopen!

lekkeroujan
12th Nov 2007, 08:38
Trevor, I flew as your copilot on Metros in 1991. I always knew you were a good operator but I have to congratulate you on this ONE (pardon the pun). Well done mate.

flyingoose
12th Nov 2007, 10:10
Well done to the crew, awesome job well done!!!:ok::ok::ok:

mactheknife
13th Nov 2007, 06:40
Any chance of a journo or interviewer putting VB on the spot re his very assured statement that the incident was due to FOD, and the CAA distancing itself from this yesterday.

I'm not holding my breath on this..........

fluffyfan
13th Nov 2007, 07:05
Well Done gents good job.

And as my name suggests, lets just thank Mr Boeing for designing such an awsome aircraft (I know its old but still), was watching some aircrash investigation programme the other day, I think it was AA in a DC10 out of Chicargo, similar thing happened, they lost hydraulics to the leading edge devices on the wing with the absent engine, and in those days the sop was to reduce speed to V2, the resultant lower speed caused the wing to stall and aircraft went inverted with all 250 odd souls into the ground, so lets be grateful that all ended well in this incident.

Pow-wow
13th Nov 2007, 12:44
I read with great "interest" today in the Republikein of Namibia, that according to the DCA there, the two Air Nam / Safair -200's are exempt from any inspections as they are registered in Namibia.

So you see...just re-register the whole lot and the problem will go away...:ok:

As the director of the DCA says: if this had happened further away, we would not have even known about it...brilliant:cool:

www.republikein.com.na (http://www.republikein.com.na)

Rotates Lowly
13th Nov 2007, 18:54
Please guys. It is "lose". Verloor. Past tense "lost". There is no word such as loooooooooooooooooses. Loose means "not tight". To lose is to become out of ownership. Jeez, it is becoming :*

radioexcel
13th Nov 2007, 19:54
:ENationwide should use this logo:.....NO MATTER WHAT....WE WILL GET YOU SAFE ON THE GROUND!!!!

The engine detached between 50 and 100 ft on departure just after rotation. Aircraft rotated just before "E" taxiway and the engine, cowling and other debris all landed before the cross runway 16/34....:uhoh:

So...it was hair raising stuff!!

RE

Redsbaron
14th Nov 2007, 20:43
Can you believe it??:yuk:

Shortly after news of the engine incident of NW got round, demand for ticket sales especially over the festive season has soared, and Nationwide is now considering leasing additional aircraft from SAA/Comair!

Apparantly husbands are queing to buy xmass cards for their mother-in-laws..!:ok:

On a more serious note our SA's skies have been incredably safe thus far.
Used to enjoy and look forward to a flight - but do admit to be rather nervous lately. A good dose of pilot competency will make a difference, but the poor fellow upfront has limitations. Maybe I have flown once too many..:(

Redsbaron

PS Is flying using one engine considered to be more fuel efficient?
I'll stick to the more pricier tickets then!:=