PDA

View Full Version : Rex recruiting..or lack of

Guptar
7th Nov 2007, 11:21
This week I recieved a couple of emails from mates who applied for Rex and got the big.......Thanks but No Thanks after the last round of interviews.

All had several thousand hrs, way over the 500 ME including some turbine time. I've heared of others with significant time on the SAAB from overseas getting the big NO Thanks from Rex.

Pilot shortage??? Bulldust. Theres heaps of qualified and talented guys and gals not getting a look in.

Wizofoz
7th Nov 2007, 12:04
The point is, there is no shortage of applicants for jobs like REX.

Their problem is that, having attracted people, they then can't retain them, and can't train fast enough to cover attrition.

Their Cadet scheme isn't about getting enough qualified people-it's about KEEPING them, without having to pay what's neccessary to stop pilots leaving.

I was working for easyJet in the UK when they tried the same thing. They put guys through from Ab-Initio to RHS on 737s and A319s.

In return they guarenteed to pay the loan these guys accumulated (circa 80 000 POUND STERLING!!!) as long as they stayed with EZ on a reduced salary.

Presto! Pilots who would be guarenteed to stay for al least 7 years. Projections were made, tickets sold and aircraft ordered on that basis.

One problem- they had employed young, enthusistic, intelligent people, who could add up. It quickley became obvious to the cadets that they would be better off financially, even having to take the loan on board, if they went to BA or Virgin Atlantic.

Result? In the first year MORE THAN HALF the cadets left, and canceled and sub-chartered flights that summer cost in the vicinity or 75 000 000STG.

There was then a change of CEO- Substantial pay rise, improved roster, beter pension and staff travel scheme. Within 12 months EZ had the best retention rate in the sector, and I was seriously P@@@@D off as I had left, and share options I assumed would be worthless as they were triggered by what I assumed were unachievable profit margins would have been payed in full (About 75K STG!!!), as the company achieved record profits.

Paying staff properly is an INVESTMENT.

But that wouldn't work in Australia-just ask Aircraft:rolleyes:

Roger Copy Ta
7th Nov 2007, 12:45
Nice post Wiz, you're right. I'm sure a year or 2 down the track the Rex cadets will realise their plight, regret their mistake and look enviously at the 'well paid' majors.

But I can't see them moving on with such ease as might be done in Europe. Who's going to hire a rex cadet with 2 years RH flight experience and no command time? So this evil plan to retain crew for peanuts might just work, except where do their captains come from?

Anyone know the proposed time frame for a new cadet to reach command?:}

Keg
7th Nov 2007, 14:15
Who's going to hire a rex cadet with 2 years RH flight experience and no command time?

Qantas will and if the pilot supply market is as tight at it appears to be they'll be a walk up start in all likelihood! They'll even get a massive pay rise. No, this isn't the panacea that REX thinks it is!

Wiz for PM! :}

Wizofoz
7th Nov 2007, 14:36
aAw Shucks:\

Launch_code_Harry
7th Nov 2007, 21:35
High time guys have the ability to leave. Cadets, on the other hand can be 'controlled' though a combination of golden shackles / low time.

Cactus Jak
7th Nov 2007, 22:05
Let's be realistic here people.

There is a pilot shortage, but that doesn't mean that every pilot that walks through the door for an interview is gunna get the job. To think that would be just plain naive.

The company i work for is currently recruiting. Are they are finding it hard to get the pilots? YES. Did that stop them failing applicants in their sim check because they could NOT demonstrate the simple I/F techniques and handling skills required? NO!!!

It's not only Rex that is hurting here. A lot of companies are being cripled by this shortage. Losing contracts, no coverage for some bases. Look at the RFDS in W.A. for example. Some of the time, it has been suggested to me that there is only one aircraft and one pilot for the whole state.

If they can get the pilots, they are then faced with extended training periods for these new hires (6-8 months of line training) to get them up to speed. That ties up training pilots and runs existing line pilots to there limits (both legally and physically) because the guys these newbies are replacing are long gone to the jobs they left for. Thus the massive holes in rostering.

And don't think pay rises will fix the problem because as long as the likes of Jetstar,Virgin, Tiger, QANTAS and the likes, are recruiting onto their BIG JETS with the matching pay packets, the flow will continue.

This is becoming a big problem.

NUFF said

Launch_code_Harry
7th Nov 2007, 22:23
Cactus, agreed. However, I see a lot of posts about high time guys who never even make it past the application. It just makes you wonder what is really going on.

airjordan
8th Nov 2007, 01:05
it is about who you know, and whos feet you rub, and knowing someones uncles friends granpa's cousins daughters husband who happens to be high up in a major :)

Launch_code_Harry
8th Nov 2007, 03:36
it is about who you know, and whos feet you rub, and knowing someones uncles friends granpa's cousins daughters husband who happens to be high up in a majorIf this was the case why would Rex need a cadet scheme?

radaz
8th Nov 2007, 10:58
Just on the theme....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayMaswju1A

Go REX cadets....

havick
8th Nov 2007, 11:07
I wouldn't slam them too much about not picking up 'high' time guys..

I personally 3 guys starting v.soon that got picked up with the 1500 + PIC and 500 Multi, some a fair chunk of which is turbine.. I would also think that these guys are FAR more likely to walk to Qantas or VB given the first opportunity..

Chippie Chappie
8th Nov 2007, 11:29
Wizofoz

Bullseye! :ok:

43 Inches

True, but not necessarily so. A pilot may be over-qualified for the position. By all accounts, Rex's problem is retention rather than finding qualified pilots. Afterall, they can't tell a pilot's ability from a CV. Don't forget, Rex will be making money out of their training program.

Chips

Colonel Ken
9th Nov 2007, 03:08
What a joke. Just saw the photo of charismatic and honourable John Sharp posing nurturingly and proudly above aspiring pilot (Brock Hardcastle? Hard to read. Like Rex P.R. integrity factor.)

Hey John, I remember not too long ago, when the charter company I worked for was given the dubious honour of flying your honourable self and some honourable colleagues into the country for the day.

The pilot assigned for the job was a brilliant young guy, had 3000 hours on Chieftains, had just done his Kendell interview and was loving his career. For YOUR charter, he showed up 3 hours early because he knew you were a VIP, and wanted everything to be right on. Cleaned the aircraft, brushed and dustpanned the carpets, arranged drinks, newspapers and refreshments for you, and would have been proud as punch of his whole presentation.

Do you remember what you said to him?

"How old are you? Are you really a Commercial Pilot? How long have you been flying? How many hours have you got? You don't look old enough to have a licence. This is not a King Air. I was promised a King Air." etc.

You must then be a little concerned about Brock, eh John? Good that you don't show it in the photo, its all about P.R. isn't it.

P.S. That pilot above left Rex about a year ago, and is now out of aviation altogether, after the most disgraceful type conversion "training" program in aviation history.

P.P.S. Glad I sold at $2-70. Rex is non-dividend stock from hereon in.

Reap etc.