PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Airlines do it to me AGAIN!

Mr Seatback 2
18th May 2001, 10:42
Yet again, that darling Manager of Flight Attendants (since resigned - how convenient) Christine Williams at Eastern has sent me a rejection letter after having proceeded thru all stages, including a medical and security check.

Surely they could use a better system - why not do it like Ansett, and contact applicants when they're thru the 3rd stage AND THEN get them to do their medicals and other checks, pending any reason why they shouldn't be employed.

A waste of both time, money, energy and leave days to attend interviews.

Dodgy also - was told by Christine that I would need to wait for them to make a decision AFTER they received all my paperwork - yet she sent me the rejection letter BEFORE she got my security results. If you're going to make a decision like this, at least keep to your word.

Let's hope the next person who does the job does it better.

Biscuit Chucker
19th May 2001, 07:23
Don't be too bitter about not getting into Qantas Link. Qantas does the same thing, so of course the system isn't perfect but it's just the way some things work. Working for Christine was an absolute pleasure-you'll never meet anyone who went to further lengths to help another-in my opinion she will be sorely missed. I agree it can be an expensive business-perhaps if you feel you have to resort to snide comments about Christine doing her job you might be better applying for another airline (if at all!)

Mr Seatback 2
19th May 2001, 14:19
My dear biscuit chucker

First of all - look at it from my view...of the two times I have applied to Eastern, both times I have been rejected by Christine (if you had been thru what I have been thru for these interviews, you too would feel bitter)

Secondly - yes, she's just doing her job...but surely, as a manager (not anymore however), she could keep to her word in this regard (you don't tell someone they'll make a decision once the results are in, and found out they haven't waited for ALL of them). Had all the results been received, I probably wouldn't feel as bad (call me old fashioned, but I think honesty and commitment are very important)

Thirdly - She may indeed be a nice person. Biscuit chucker, if you had been rejected by the same person twice at the same airline, would you feel good/positive about it? I doubt it. Perhaps I am being harsh and snide about the whole thing - all part of the "grieving" process you might say.

Quite frankly, when I started this topic I was VERY angry. True, I knew (hell, experience has taught me this much) I could be rejected even at this late stage. Perhaps what you should know is that I had my first and third interview in a matter of days (I had no second interview, Eastern hurried me thru the process). Now, if you had managed to skip an entire level of the selection process, don't you think that I, or anyone else, am entitled to believe that we have something THEY want? So much so, to be asked to come in for a 3rd stage the NEXT DAY?

Whilst technically speaking I am over it now, I do believe a far better way of handling the whole process (and this goes for QF too) would be to interview applicants, THEN upon an offer of employment have them go for their medical and security check then (with the offer of employment able to be withdrawn should there be any problem in the medical/security checks). That way, the applicants know where they stand and they're not out of pocket for expenses.

And yes, I will continue to reapply to them and everyone else I'm able to apply for, until they eventually give in and have no other choice but to accept me!

Glutton for punishment? Maybe - do I have any other choice?

Dea Certe
20th May 2001, 08:01
Mr Seatback 2,

Maybe you should write Eastern and ask why you have been rejected twice. Tell them you want very much to fly for them and are willing to do what it takes to meet their standards. A friend of mine did this years ago and was given a new interview from which she was hired.

Please let us know what happens and the best of luck to you.

Peanuts? anyone?
20th May 2001, 11:30
Mr Seatback 2...

I was disapointed to read your email. Christine Williams has been an absolute pleasure to work for in the time I have been at Eastern. (QantasLink) As Biscuit Chucker said, she could not do enough for you.

Christine has been a colleague and a friend for over 3 years, and I, along with others will deeply miss her. Christine also has a reputation for being very fair, this is why I do not understand what happened to you. Were referance checks completed???? I think it likely it was more of an admin error.

Don't be disheartened, keep applying. You are not the only one who has been rejected several times. Some current crew have had 3 attempts prior to being sucessful. We are always looking for people, and especially male cabin crew. You will enjoy your time at QantasLink...you will eventually be sucessful if you commit the energy to the interviews that you show in your message above.

Just a word of advice though... Your words regarding our "darling" mangager of Flight Attendants were harsh. As I have said Christine is a "Darling" we all love her and will miss her. Be careful next time with your choice of words. Good luck and keep us posted.

Evacu8
20th May 2001, 12:16
Although I have never had the pleasure of working with Christine, I know her well through reputation, and I think the words you have written are harsh and unfair. You may have been interviewed by her several times, that does not mean you know her and can judge her professionalism.

I think you'll find that she is not the only person involved in the final decision, I'm sure like other Qantaslink companies that are wholly owned by QF, QF themselves have an input into the 'executive review' of applicants - as those applicatns will eventually fly for QF mainline.

If I were you, instead of blaming the sytem and the people behind the recruitment for not hiring YOU (how dare they not hire you !!!), maybe you should take a hint that you might be falling down in a crucial area at the review section of the process, and try to think what that may be? Or that maybe the other applicants (God forbid !!) might just be a bit better suited to the job at the time (not every suitable applicant can get the job! - hey... maybe they didnt have such bad tempers?).

Oh and by the way, you have given a lot of info about yourself, it would not be hard for Eastern (QF) to work out who you are. Comments like the ones you have made cannot possibly help you in future attempts..... you think an online tyrade by an unsuccessful applicant , wont be brought to the attention of management there?

Whatever the reason, no-one likes a sore loser mate.

Peanuts? anyone?
20th May 2001, 12:59
Thanks to all those ppruners who have come to Christine Williams defence. It's great to know her reputation is not just limited to the corridors at Eastern, and as such shall remain intact for her retirement.

Christine certainly deserves your kind words.
Thanks again :)

Sick Squid
20th May 2001, 20:12
I think this is a good point to end this one, the points raised initially seem to have been covered and I was very pleased to see some good balance added in defence of the lady. Nice one, folks.

We all I'm sure understand the frustration that led to the first post, but I would ask that people refrain from using real names of employees at airlines, particularly if it is in a negative manner.

Anyway, no other problems.

Sick Squid
Cabin Crew Forum Moderator