PDA

View Full Version : Job without type rating.

Elbiot
6th Nov 2007, 21:48
Hello,

I am looking at starting the zero to hero course with riverside but have just one worry.

Once I am finished and have my frozen atpl what are the chances of getting a job and the airline taking me on with no type rating and paying for it for me?

Does anyone know what airlines offer this if any?

Any help really appreciated,
Elliot

SinBin
7th Nov 2007, 11:21
Be under no illusion, that once you have a licence you will get a job. The hardest part of going down this training route is the job hunting at the end!

However it is possible to walk straight into a jet job with minimum hours, no type rating and from a part time modular background with a big airline. I did!! Luck is a huge thing too.

flyfish
7th Nov 2007, 11:30
Dont want to be negative, but airlines on the whole, just dont pay for initial type ratings anymore. The pattern in recent history for wannabees including me, was to knock on airlines doors, send CVs out and network once in possession of ones F/ATPL. When that didnt work for all (for some it did) people went away to make themselves more marketable.That means you may have to get an instructors rating, or a type rating.
The thing to do if you can, is plan the cash for at least a F.I. rating, if you need it you need it if you dont then your lucky.
There are other avenues to explore, but i am sure you have researched them already. If you havent try a search on the likes of CTC which is one of the few ways of getting the airline to pay for your rating (bonded)

Flyfish

Elbiot
7th Nov 2007, 12:17
Thankyou for all the comments guys they are really helpful, really appreciate it. Cheers
Elliot.

paul k
7th Nov 2007, 16:24
what if you had a freshly unfrozen full ATPL. would that help you get a job without having to self-sponsor your TR? i am starting to think as i get through the d/l g/s that i might as well stay put and keep building my hrs here in canada until i not only get my canadian atpl, but my jaa atpl as well.

MIKECR
7th Nov 2007, 16:42
You need 500 hours Multi Crew time before you can 'unfreeze' an ATPL, as you put it

paul k
7th Nov 2007, 16:47
re: 500 multi crew

-does a dhc-6 twin otter count?
-does co-pilot on a single pilot aircraft type count if the company operations manual states the need for 2-crew

pk

paul k
7th Nov 2007, 18:11
"You must have all of the above, have completed the JAA ATPL theory exams nd fill in all the paperwork with a cheque before you can take the ATPL skills test. Yes that's right, another test. They don't just give them away on reaching the above"

what kind of test? by skills test do you mean a flight test?

pk

IRISHPILOT
7th Nov 2007, 18:42
Multi Crew aircraft require a type rating. So when you are doing the next sim check with your company that'll do the job. Just a different box to tick by the TRE, I believe same exercises as usual, as far as I remember.

Can be done in a sim or the actual aircraft, depending on type / company.

Here in the Czech Republic, there are still a few AN2 over 5700, requiring 2 crew. Just a couple of kilos over and a SEP, but that'll do... Not sure if that satisfies JAR25, but it is done... AND GREAT CRAIC :}

EjetSetter
7th Nov 2007, 18:44
Hey Elbiot, its a pleasure to know that you are on your way to the wonderful world of aviation. And while there can be challenges nothing is more challenging than inept management or fellow pilots who did this for all the "glory and honor"; meaning pay.

From personell experience and drive I do not believe in SSTR programs. They along with paid line-training ruin the industry and prove to me anyway, why I should stay in the states. Will that happen? Not at all, as a USC I'd rather experience a different short-haul lifestyle then the one we Americans are accustomed to.

However I can tell you build up hours. The guys who bought their SSTR are either SJS patients or are the "glory hunters" as metioned before and are happy at their airlines but causing the European industry problems.

I can go into the why an SSTR is dumb and their's many reasons but its your choice and unlike half the pilots on PPRUNE I'm not here to bitch or moan because I'm young, like the uniform, and am happy instructing for the present. Yes its a low quality job but in the long run it allows you to choose your destiny and not be compelled by the invisible hand.

I'm assuming your an Englishmen and a suggestion I say is learn another language. Yes you are lucky in the fact that English is the native language of flight like myself but if your all about marketability another language, specifically German or French can take you somewhere.

I'd go with the F.I. for the simple fact it allows you to build hours and shop around for a airline that is a bond TR deal.

And for the SSTR people, stay with FR and U2 please.